Episode: 12

Add Insult To Injury

"We were strangers when we first met, we were strangers when you left."


          My chest pounds and my mouth is throwing up water. It feels like a million gallons of liquid has filled my whole body. Spots swim across my perception, still everything is blurry. The loud coughs of mine echo bouncing off the walls.

 

But where am I? What happened?

 

        A boy with heart-shaped lips stares down at me in relief, gasping heavily. His clothes are dripping wet, and so is mine. As I stare more and more, my vision becomes more vivid and clear.

"Are you okay? Who the hell pushed you into the water?"

 

The boy lacks emphasis in his words. Pulling myself to sit up, my eyes flicker back and forth between the boy and my surroundings.

 

"Excuse me?" I baffle, his expression fills with worry like a mother hen who has lost her chicks.

 

"D-Don't you know who I am?" The boy's Adam's apple goes bobbing up and down.

 

        As much as I try to remember, I can't. It's like a brick is placed in my cranium instead of my brain. I don't respond-rather I don't know how to. He slips his arm around my neck; the other under the joint between my thighs and calves.

 

"Let's go, you're making me lose my mind." His breath quakes.

 

         Both of us are dripping wet like two little ugly ducklings that fell into the pool, trying to learn how to swim. I guess we did fall, although I can't seem to recall. My hand flimsily waves for a taxi, as we get in the driver sneers in response to how wet we are.

 

"I'll pay extra for wetting your car." The boy offers, and a smile appears on the Taxi Driver's face.

"Hurry up, please." The boy impatiently pleads.

 

       Assuming we've arrived to where he's planning to take me, he crouches down to the ground beckoning me to jump on his back. Who is this boy really? Why is he so full of concern,

       Why is he so warm? Not hesitating at all, I comfortably wrap my arms around his neck and his arms lift my legs to security. He's not walking anymore, he's running and the impact of his steps makes me jump as if I'm riding a horse.

 

"Why are you running?" I question,

"Don't ask me anything until you've talked to the doctor." He shushes me abruptly.

 

"Can I please request a doctor right now?",

"Why?", "This girl behind me has almost drowned today, and it seems like she's not remembering anything." The woman at the receptionist's desk peers into my eyes, her expression darkens.

 

"And both of you came here on your own?",

"Yes, we took a taxi.",

 

"Alright, you're lucky a doctor isn't really busy today otherwise you'd will have to wait 4 hours or so." The receptionist dials a series of numbers and within a few minutes a man quite tall, and muscular in a white coat approaches us.

 

"Please follow me into the emergency room." Resting stilly on the boy's back, I don't plan to get off.

 

       All I feel is numbness everywhere, except for my cranium. After walking a hallway, then to the left, and up a few stairs, the man in the white coat extends his arms to a door almost next to the stairs. Inside, 6 hospital beds are placed vertically against the wall.

 

      Nurses run around giving aid to the painful cries escaping the air. As I look around, all the patients weren't severely hurt or blood wasn't gushing out of their bodies. Rather all of them were at the verge of a mental breakdown.

 

"I apologize; this is a small psychology department. There's a whole floor up at the 24th and 25th level but that's only for diagnosed patients."

 

     The man in the white coat grins, leading us to the empty hospital bed. Even though my legs are weak and wobbly, I manage to walk a few paces to it. As I sit down, the man in a coat grabs a checkboard on the desk near my hospital bed.

 

"So, what seems to be the problem?",

"She almost drowned, luckily I was quick enough to save her. She doesn't seem to remember anything, and it's freaking me out." says the boy who carried me all the way here.

 

"Do you remember anything? Your name? Your background?" questions the white-coated man turning to me for an answer.

"No. Not at all," I confirm having not a single memory to recall from.

 

"And how long do you think she was in the water for?" The man scribbles down words on his check board too messy for me to understand.

"I'm not sure." The owl-eye boy wrinkles his eyebrows trying to estimate.

 

"I guess we'll just have to determine it through MRI scans and Blood tests." The coated man sighs,

"But what's wrong with her!? What's her sickness!?" His voice goes up, kind of like a wail of desperation.

 

"I'm assuming that she has Anoxic anoxia. Because of the lack of oxygen in her brain during her drowning experience, she might have short-term or long-term memory loss depending on how long her brain could've lasted without oxygen. Normally it would be only 1-2 minutes.

 

The MRI scans, and blood tests and going to determine the diagnosis for this patient. We'll have to see if the hippocampus shrunk due to the deprivation of oxygen, and how we can recover these memories.

 

But in the meantime, I'd like you to help her remember her past. Tell her name-everything that you know. And if it's short-term memory lost then the memories will come along and return. But if it's long-term it's going to difficult to recover anything at all." The white coated man leaves us.

 

Two hands cover the boy's face as he takes the seat beside me. Exposing his face to me, he says

 

"My name is Kyungsoo by the way." A cheeky smile escapes Kyungsoo.

"Good to know," I snort.

 

"C'mon let's get out of here. We're still shivering, and late for class."

 

Kyungsoo crouches down in front of me; he pats his shoulder beckoning me to jump on his back.

 

"Don't mind if I do," I whisper as I get on.

 

    Something makes me feel warm inside even though my skin is shivering so redundantly. Waving for another taxi, we hop in and soon we arrive back to where we started.

...

Walking with my own feet now, Kyungsoo whistles a melody.

 

"Kyungsoo?" I grab his shoulder and give it a light squeeze.

"How did I drown? Who were you to me before I drowned?" I mumble out questions without giving it a thought myself. Besides, I don't remember anything.

"There's this boy who hated you for some reason-" Kyungsoo stutters hesitating on what words to say.

 

"That boy pushed you into the pool, and didn't even bother to save you. He continued to watch you, and when I came in. I jumped in and saved you. And the boy who pushed you just ran away just like that." Kyungsoo acknowledges what he says he had done.

 

But can I really trust him? What if he's putting the blame on some other person he hates because maybe he pushed me?

 

"H-how can I trust you? Who were you to me before that incident even happened?" I suspiciously state.

 

Kyungsoo's hands land on both of my shoulders, he begins to shake me.

 

 "I was and am your best friend. I was there when you cried about crushing an innocent person's soul. I was there when you said you regretted everything you did when you tore your first boyfriend's world apart!

    I was there spending all my time on you feeling concerned, worrying about how many sleeping pills you've took, if you ate or were starving yourself. And you know what hurts the most!?

   That fact that you don't even remember anything, that you're treating me like a ing stranger." Kyungsoo thunders with words that are shooting my mind.

 

       He stomps off, leaving me in a state of regret and shame. My feet plant in the exact same spot, and they don't bother to move. But in a distance, I see the school door fling open.

         Kyungsoo sprints back to me. But I'm too busy staring at whatever's in the background just to avoid his face. A hand firmly grips my wrist, and I'm being dragged by Kyungsoo.

 

"Don't think I'm not mad at you anymore. I just can't leave a memory-less person like you out here." Kyungsoo mutters.

 

      Entering the school doors, we both enter a room full of people wearing the same clothes as Kyungsoo and I. One in particular is staring at me with an unusually familiar shade of light brown in his eyes.

 

"Please take your seat."

 

      The woman in a formal dress extends her hand to the seat to the left of the boy who is still staring at me. Slipping into my seat, my hands form fists on the surface of my desk. My hands are too cold, and I need to warm them somehow. A warm hand plants onto my right fist,

 

"I miss you," The boy next to me smugly smirks. I want to smack his hand away, but I just need the warmth.

"Who are you?" I say bluntly, his pupil dilate as he pursues his lips.

 

"You don't know who I am?" He says in bewilder.

"I-I'm your boyfriend." He says in such a hurt tone, it's almost not real. But who am I to determine? I might as well play along until my memory comes back.

 

"What's your name?" I question,

"I'm Kai." He says planting a peck on my cheek.

 

Something feels wrong. An object hits the back of my head and lands at the floor behind my chair- a pencil. Turning around to see who threw it, Kyungsoo’s hurtful eyes send another pang of shame through me.

 

"You're not my boyfriend. I don't have one, as far as I've been told." I utter Kai's eyes pool with water.

"You know what hurts the most? You don't remember anything, and you're treating me like a ing stranger." Kai's lower lip trembles.

 

        And I realize it's the exact same phrase Kyungsoo had said to me earlier. For the rest of the time, I sit emotionless on the table reflecting on what I've been doing. An abrupt ring snaps me back into reality.

...

Someone taps my shoulder,

 

"Let's go home. We've got lots to talk about."

 

     Kyungsoo insists linking his arms into mine. But Kai whips our arms apart, and the next thing I know: Kai's clenched fists are rigidly grasping Kyungsoo's collar.

 

"What the did you do to her!?" Kai exclaims,

 

"Shouldn't I be asking you that? You were the one who pushed her." Kyungsoo retorts.

 

And I'm right in the middle of their fight.

 

"Who are you to assume I pushed her? Why would I do that!? Ever since the beginning I cared so much to the point where-",

"To the point where you started hurting her! You heard what I said." Kyungsoo barks.

 

"That's right. I know who you really are. And why you came back. So, if you don't want me to uncover her gruesome memories with you as a part of it, you better off." Kyungsoo adds.

 

Kai lets go of Kyungsoo's collar, tears drifting down Kai's chiselled face.

 

"There are many things that you are not aware of. So just don't assume." Kai grabs my wrist and we sprint toward the entrance of the school.

 

"You shouldn't listen to nonsense. It's important that we're together now."

 

  Kai embraces me with a hug, gently patting the hair on the back of my head. A breeze roars through both of us, making me shiver-considering my clothes are still dense.

 

"I-I believe you, I just don't remember you." I stutter burying my face into his blazer, trying to find a connection.

 

    But all I find is warmth and familiarity. If he did really hurt me, shouldn't my body recognize it? Shouldn’t my body give off instincts indicating that he's a dangerous person? All these thoughts are only curiosity and suspicion.

 

       It's all sickening. I don't trust myself; I don't really trust Kai and Kyungsoo. If my past consists of gruesome people and events, I choose not to remember. I choose not to understand what my life was before. But is it really a choice for me not to remember?

 

"I'll teach you," Kai embraces me tighter.

"Teach me what?" Kai shushes me softly.

 

       He lets go of me. A hand pushes me towards his torso, as he leans in; I smell the scent of peppermint chap stick. It’s a sickly recognizable smell. His chiselled jaw tilts at angle and his lips plant on mine. 

 

      It feels like a surge of electricity is dancing on our lips, attracting like a charged balloon attracted to a wall. And at that moment, a name pops up into my thoughts.

 

Kim Jong In.


*author's note:

Hey guyssssss. I updated ^-^ Sorry if it took so long, 

finals are coming up and I'll try to squeeze another update before I have to drop everything and study. LOL

Anyways, don't think Kai is done with his revenge thing, he's got alot to do.

Stay Tuned! 

P.S: When is EXO's One Fine Day going to be released with eng subs?

I can't wait like srsly. 

INSTAGRAM|TUMBLR

(i follow back as long as you don't unfollow.)