I Thought You Hated Football!

Tutoring With a Chance of Irony

 “No way” 
 “Uh-huh. Look plain and simple.” Jonghyun tapped his phone screen showing his fellow teammate who just so happened to be the teams running back, Choi Minho. 


 Minho stared at the text from Kibum in awe with a towel draped over his sopping wet hair from the shower as they stood in the locker room. The big game against their rival school was a mere three days away and their coach was anything but soft about it. 


 “So let me see if I understand. The kid hated your guts, ended up being your tutor, and now he likes you?” Minho reiterates as Jonghyun locks his phone and slips it into his duffel bag with a smug grin. 


 “Well it’s not that simple, but in essence yeah. On top of that, I have a smooth 80% in physics now so everyone is winning~. I’m gonna ask him out after the big game.”


 Minho actually laughs and shakes his head.
 “Yeah you have fun with that. Yeah sure maybe he had fun in the date and sent you that text, but I don’t think that’s enough to say he’ll say yes to you for sure,” the taller boy ruffles his hair with the towel on his head then shoves it into his locker, “you like him, but that doesn’t mean he likes you.”


 Jonghyun shrugs, “We’ll just have to change that won’t we?”


 •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••


 Kibum couldn’t tutor today, something about a dress rehearsal and vocal lessons. So Jonghyun decided to take the long way through the school to go home through the music hall. He wanted to get home as late as possible.

It’s chore day.


 So there he was, wandering aimlessly around the bright blue and gold walls of the music hall. That is, until he hears a very faint voice coming from the choir room. It’s particularly smooth yet sharp all at once. Drawn to the voice Jonghyun followed it walking quietly and stopping in front of the voice. 
 

I don’t wanna do this anymore…. I don’t wanna be the reason why…


 If he was correct on his knowledge of American music that was Unfaithful by Rihanna. 

 

 Wait, is that Kibum singing?! 


 “No way…” Jonghyun breathed and peaked through the window of the door. He was right about it being Kibum. 
 

He has a beautiful voice, even Jonghyun couldn’t deny that. He sang himself, but it wasn’t something he did often. Only for fun when there was a song he liked on the radio. Kibum hit each note perfectly. His voice never faltered once. Jonghyun could feel the power behind each syllable and lyric. It was strangely relaxing all at once though. He slunk down to the ground and shut his eyes, only letting the sound of Kibum’s voice engulf his mind. 

 He didn’t even notice the sound of the choir room door opening.
 

“Yah!!! What the hell are you doing here?! Were you spying on me?!” Kibum held onto the door knob tighter glaring at the boy sitting on the floor with the most dumbfounded look. 


 “You’re really good you know. How come you never told me about it?”

 Kibum sighs and closes the door behind him, “I didn’t think you would care. Besides you never asked. The moment I mention theatre your mind switches to sleep mode like a Windows 95.” 


 Jonghyun gets up and stares intently at the fox eyed boy, “Sorry about that…But you really are talented. I would’ve assumed you were a professional if I didn’t know you.”
 

Kibum grips the strap to his messenger bag and bites his lower lip. He mumbles what Jonghyun figures is a thank you and lowers his gaze to the tiled floor. 
 

“Um…I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then. See ya Kibum.” the elder turns on his heel to leave, but only to have his wrist caught by the younger. The light feathery touch of lips comes in contact with his cheek.

 “ See you tomorrow.”


 ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
 

Tutoring after Kibum’s bold kiss to the cheek was a tad bit awkward to say the least. Every time Jonghyun would look him in the eye he’d look away or get flustered if Jonghyun touched him on accident. Bigger worries however occupied Jonghyun’s head. It was game day. 
 

The locker room was buzzing with chatter and excitement as the team got ready right after school. If they won they’d be district champions and end the season with that title. Not to mention it’ll seal Jonghyun’s fate on wether he has a scholarship waiting for him or not. 
 

Minho slaps Jonghyun back in reassurance, “You got this man. Just do what you do best and you’ll be fine.”

 “I hope so. I just don’t wanna up last minute.”
 

 

“You won’t. The whole team has your back.” Minho smiles gently and walks away to put on his cleats. 


 What ever mighty being exists please don’t let me screw up…


Stepping onto the field among the rest of his teammates always gave Jonghyun an overwhelming sense of pride. The bleachers were filled and the cheerleaders are in full swing. It calms his nerves for only a moment. The moment his team lines up on the field parallel to the other team his adrenaline pumps at a ridiculous rate. Then the whistle blows and the heavily padded uniformed bodies start to move and so does Jonghyun. 


 He doesn’t know what’s wrong with him. He’s dropping the ball, missing passes. He’s just lethargic all of a sudden. The coach calls a time out, the game is 2-4. 


What’s wrong with me…? Why can’t I play right?


 “Jonghyun!!”


 Who…?


 “Jonghyun, over here!!” 


 The football player removes his helmet and looks in the direction of the voice. 
 Kibum leans over the railing of the bleachers, eyeblack beneath his eyes, Jonghyun’s jersey number written on his cheek, and gold and blue mini towel made specifically to support the team. Jonghyun cant believe it. 

 


 No way…. He actually came? To support me?


 Jonghyun jogs over to the bleachers to where Kibum stands.


 “Kibum what are you doing here? I thought you hated football!”


 Kibum shrugs, “I wanted to support my friend during his big game is that such a crime? What’s up with you? Go out there and win! All that bragging to me only to lose?


 Jonghyun can’t help but smile. It’s a grateful yet shy smile that makes Kibum’s heart stop short. Kibum is blunt and cold on the surface, but once you get past it he’s the best person you can know. The football player reaches up onto the railing and steps onto the platform to be at eye level with the fox eyed boy.


 “Thank you for coming even though I know you hate sports. It means a lot. ” Jonghyun mumbles to Kibum as his face flushes a deep crimson. 


 The rest of the team watches as their star player talks to the kid known as the ice king of the theatre club. Defensive line man, Lee Jinki, approaches Minho. 


 “Is he going to to do what I think he’s going to do?” Jinki ties up his long wavy hair into a ponytail as he watched the scene thoughtfully.


 “Knowing him, more than likely.” Minho balances his helmet between his arm and hip. 


 “Jonghyun you’re sort of close..” Kibum mumbles shyly playing with his hair.


 Jonghyun grins, “I know…” 


 Before Kibum knows it Jonghyun’s gloved hands capture his chin and guides their lips together. It’s Kibum’s first real kiss and he’s more than happy that it’s with Jonghyun. The football team makes a round of noise along with those sitting in the bleachers, but the couple could care less. 


 “Promise me you’ll kick their ?” Kibum asks breathlessly.


 “Painfully.”