You're Kinda Cute Too...For an Idiot

Tutoring With a Chance of Irony

"Okay so this is the formula you use for this— No, idiot this one! I told you this six times already. You were doing this just fine yesterday!”


Jonghyun groaned inwardly and scribbled down the formulas needed to calculate the speed of a race car (which he found utterly useless). Kibum has been his tutor for about three weeks now, but that doesn’t change the fact he hates Jonghyun’s guts with a burning passion. He doesn’t understand why either. He’s been nice to Kibum, he even drove him home when it rained. He has made some progress however. He actually got a hi back from Kibum in the hallway in passing period.


 Kibum sighs and sits back in his seat, “Okay, that’s enough for today. Your brain is fried you aren’t getting anywhere with it.”


Jonghyun blinks in surprise but doesn’t argue against it. He’s relieved. Now he can get more out of Kibum.


"Why do you hate me so much?"


"You’re a jock. Our kind doesn’t exactly get along."


"So you mean theatre and athletes?"


"Yeah. Besides, because of your stupid homecoming game our turn out for the play was low when I finally got the lead role.” the taller boy grumbles the last part and shoves his books into a black messenger bag. 
Jonghyun does remember that day. He was a sophomore that year, but doesn’t remember anything about a play that day.


 Oh wait a second…


 ••••••••••••••••••••••• 


"I can’t stand people like you."


Jonghyun cocked an eyebrow,”Who are you exactly?”


"Kim Kibum, in your geometry class? I wouldn’t expect you to remember though. I know how little your brain capacity is."


There’s a chorus of oh’s from Jonghyun’s team mates.


"Listen, Kibum, I have no clue who you are but I think we all know when it comes to main events the football game is the most important."


 •••••••••••••••••• 


"Oh my god I really am an idiot." Jonghyun muttered to himself while shaking his head. Popularity does something to a kid, especially when puberty hits you with a wrecking ball and every girl wants a piece all of a sudden.


"Kibum, I’m really freaking sorry for what happened last year. I totally forgot about it. I was an last year."


Kibum pauses for a moment and slowly turns his head, his eyes narrowing, “I’m glad you finally realize it. See you tomorrow.”


"Wait! Can I have you number?"


What?


Jonghyun swallows,”Can I have your number? Maybe we can hang out sometime? I’m really sorry I wanna make it up to you.”


Kibum scoffs and gets up, but he holds out his hand, “Give me it.”


When Jonghyun doesn’t make a move he groans, “Your phone .”


He hands over his phone and Kibum’s slender fingers type away on the screen and hand it back to him.


"Don’t call me on Tuesdays and Fridays after 4. I have late night rehearsals those days." Jonghyun nods trying not to let his smile shine through.

Okay so maybe Jonghyun had a teeny tiny crush on the taller boy as well.


 Okay maybe it’s medium sized


Kibum was a looker, he had sharp facial features and a desirable body. It wasn’t muscular, but not skinny either. Something about his constant insults registers as a challenge in Jonghyun’s head. 


Maybe he was an idiot after all. 


••••••••••••••••••••••••••


"Go out on a date with me."


"How about no."


The rest of the theatre kids all clumped in one little cluster in murmurs as to why a star football player is asking Kim Kibum out on a date, the biggest anti-athlete of then all. They were having a break while Jonghyun sauntered in with his hair still wet from the showers in the locker room and a tight white shirt. 


Jonghyun crosses his arms, making his biceps literally look as they’ll burst out of the sleeves, and Kibum swallows thickly.


"C’mon. It wasn’t a question."


"Why would I go on a date with you?!"

Kibum seethes and shifts his weight onto one leg.


"Because we’re both good looking so it only makes sense that we do."


Kibum rolls his eyes while a few gasps come from his friends behind him. The taller boy looks at the ground and sighs.


"Will you be paying?" 


"In full."


"….. Fine pick me up at 7 on Friday."


The date itself was a success in Jonghyun’s perspective. He took Kibum out to eat and caught some American movie Kibum wanted to see for quite sometime now. Jonghyun tried the whole put your arm over the shoulder trick, but ended up almost getting his fingers broken off. Kibum is a feisty one, but it only make Jonghyun like his company more. 


They found themselves in front of Kibum’s front door awkwardly trying to say goodbye to each other. 


"So… Did you have fun?"


Kibum grips his bag closer to him and nods. Why did he suddenly feel so nervous around Jonghyun? He hates him, right? 


"Tonight was really fun. Actually a lot of fun I’ve had in a while."


"Ah, that’s good.."


The shaven head boy looked at the older one, realizing that Jonghyun has changed since their little display last year. Maybe he was a little bit too harsh on him. Kibum was known to be able to hold a grudge. 


The next thing he knows the shorter boy is hugging him, rather tightly in fact.


"Uh, Jonghyun, what are you doing."


"Hugging you."


"I can see that, but why."


" I thought it would be appropriate."


"I hate you."


“I love you too.”


Jonghyun finally let’s go of him and Kibum clears his throat, “So uh… I’ll see you tomorrow..?”


"Yeah, see you tomorrow."


As Jonghyun is driving home he heard a ping from his phone. At a red light he checks it and grins.


 From Kibum:
You’re kinda cute too…for an idiot.