I Hate Jocks

Tutoring With a Chance of Irony

"Jonghyun, you’re failing. You need a tutor there’s no other way to put it."


Jonghyun’s frown deepened further as he ran his hand through his brown mop of hair.


"Mr. Lee I appreciate the suggestion, but… Me? Find a tutor? Where would I even find one?" Mr. Lee takes off his thick rimmed glasses and uses the hem of his shirt to clean them. 


"Simple. I’ll find you one. I know a few students who tutor already. Listen Jonghyun, you’re a good kid. You’re a star football player and you’re well known, but marks like these won’t help you get into a good college or a football scholarship. You just won’t qualify." Mr. Lee stated with such blunt monotone that Jonghyun mentally flips him off.


After Mr. Lee so kindly emails a few teachers to arrange a tutor, Jonghyun storms out dragging along his bag full of equipment for football. Jonghyun was a a star. Why did he need some dumb tutor? Who would even want to sit with some nerd who probably sold their soul to satan to have such high marks? 


After practice the short boy headed for the showers to wash off the stench of sweat and grass off his body. It was a work out day much to his misfortune, but he pulled through it. With hair sticking to his skin drenched in sweat he sighed in relief in the cold showers of the locker room. 


"Man, I hope SuDam ordered pizza or something I’m starving…" he grumbled to himself as he leaves the locker room. He barely realizes that the door had swung out knocking down some kid’s books by pure chance.


The kid is taller than Jonghyun, thinner too. What strikes him the most odd though is that half his head is shaved off while the rest is nicely styled. The shaved head kid his teeth and gets on the ground to pick up his things in which Jonghyun follows suit. 


"I’m sorry man I didn’t know you were coming down the hall." Jonghyun picks up a few papers and hands it to the tall boy which is snatched from his hands much to his surprise.


"Gee, thanks. Now my stuff is out of order…I had auditions you know." the tall boy seethes sharply and Jonghyun makes a face.


"Okay…uh…", he looks at the folder that has the name ‘Kim Kibum’ written across the front neatly,"..Kibum once again I’m sorry for that."


Jonghyun is taken back when Kibum looks at him like he just insulted his honor, “Like I need an apology from a idiot jock like you. You guys think you rule the school, don’t you? I need to get to my audition. Goodbye and have a nice day.” 


He watches as Kibum takes his things and struts away gracefully leaving behind a dumbstruck Jonghyun. 


 Wow, intense much? 


The next day Jonghyun finds himself at the school library waiting for his amazing tutor to show up. 


 What kind of a tutor is this late to a secession? I’ve been here for ten minutes now! 


After yesterday’s run in with Kibum he’s suddenly seeing more of him. He even realized the tall boy sat four seats in front of him in Physics and shared the same gym period. Maybe that’s why he hated Jonghyun so much. He’ll admit that most of the time he’s getting praised for his athletic ability, especially during the flag football unit. Every attempt Jonghyun is made to approach or even say hi to Kibum, Kibum would glare and shoot his advances down in a heart beat. 


He drummed his fingers impatiently until he heard footsteps quickly approaching him. His eyes nearly bulge out of his head when he sees who it is. 


"No freaking way…"


"Well hello to you too, Kibum. Pleasure to see your face yet again."


Kibum smacks the heel of his hand to his forehead and groans, "Out of all people, I’m stuck with you?! Just my luck!”


The short brown haired boy merely shrugs in response, “Hey, I didn’t ask for this either. I’d rather be at practice right now.” 


Kibum rolls his eyes and takes a seat, probably cursing out Jonghyun in his head right now. He takes out a physics book and a pen rather angrily.


 If looks could kill… 


"Okay, let’s get started I don’t have all day. Callbacks are today and I don’t wanna be late." Kibum flips open to a specific page with his sharp, feline eyes focused on the text.


"Hey, you’re actually kinda cute."


"Choke on a football."