Chapter 3

My Sleeping Beauty


When Victoria came home, all the lights were off, making the house pitch dark.

"Aunties? I'm home. Where are you guys?" She said trying to find the light switch on the wall.

"SURPRISE!!!!!!!" Her aunts screamed, appearing out of nowhere with a cake, a present, and confetti.

Victoria laughed with joy to see her aunts covered with flour from head to toe. They dragged her over and made her blow the candles out. She opened her present to see a notebook, a perfect present for her.

"Aw! Aunties! I can't believe you did all these things for me. Thank you so much for everything!" She exclaimed, hugging each of them.

"Yes. Vicky, happy birthday darling." One of them said.

"Since it is your birthday and all.... Your parents wanted you to come to China again. They have something to tell you and of course, they want to see you again." The other informed her.

"China?" She frowned slightly,"Mama and papa want me to come? Why? What is it that they have to tell me?" She asked them.

The three of them looked at each other, looking uncertain."Just tell her." Her aunt told the other.

"All right. Qian, I want you to know something that our family has been hiding from you for a long long time. Of course, your parents may want to tell you this themselves, but I'm sure you would want an explanation before you go to China." She started, searching into her niece's eyes.

"When you were born, the doctors diagnosed you with a rare form of cancer. They looked over every way to cure you, but since it was so rare, there were no source of treatment. We didn't know if you were going to leave us, so we were always worried. The doctors said that you will leave us near the age of eighteen. Since you are so close, your parents want to spend time with you." She could see Qian's eyes wavering.

"I'm so sorry dear, but this is the sad truth. We hid it from you for this many years, but now, it's time that you know." She told her, patting her back slightly.

"I...I'm going to die?" She said looking fearful.

"Oh honey..." They all said, coming to hug her.

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

The next day, Victoria was not at school. Kyuhyun didn't know anything about it, and Changmin was surprisingly getting worried about the girl.  He had asked the guards to find out about her whereabouts, but they had come up with nothing for once. 

"Cho, are you sure you don't know anything?" Changmin asked him during lunch.

"What do you think? Do you think I'll really be here if I knew? There's something up, I can feel it. Vic never misses a day of school, ever. And she was never sick from what I remember, but if she was, I would know about it." Kyuhyun replied.

"Maybe we should go see her." Changmin suggested, earning a stare from Kyuhyun.

"What?" He asked.

"You. The cold ice prince want to go see a girl that you have only known for a few days?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Shut up. You know why. I really think I've seen her somewhere Cho." He said throwing the food away.

"You just committed the crime of throwing perfectly good food away. And, where could you have seen her? Maybe once upon a dream. The only time you were abroad was when you were in China-" he stopped,"China! You were in China for like a week because your dad had to visit a friend and ...and...."

"My dad's friend is a constructer, and my father only went because he had to ask him of something..... Oh snap." He said with wide eyes.

"Ding ding ding! There's our first clue. Ask your father today and video chat with me. I'll go home and try to find what my Vic is up to." Kyuhyun said.

"Why not just go to her house?" Changmin suggested.

"If that girl was that simple, I would never be friends with her in the first place. With Victoria, you have to think wide and far." With that, he stretched his arms wide into the air, causing Changmin to scoff.

-/-/-/-/-/-

That day, Changmin couldn't wait for his father to come home. His step mother was acting like an angel as usual. The time finally came when the father and son could be alone.

"Changmin ah, what's the rush? Are you that excited to see me today?" He father asked.

"Father, do you remember when I went to China with you when I was very young? You were going to meet a friend of yours."

"Ah, yes. He's a very good lad, and he's daughter was so beautiful. To pretty to have a fate like that." He said sighing and shaking his head.

Changmin's eyes rounded,"Do you remember what her name was? And what do you mean by a fate like that father?" He asked.

"Let's see.... Oh, her name was Song Qian. Came to Korea a few years ago. She has a rare form of cancer in her body. The doctors can't do anything, and they said that she will die before the age of eighteen. Even worst that she doesn't know about it. Too sad. Too sad..." Mr.Shim said, shaking his head.

Changmin grabbed onto one of the bed posts next to him. His father looked at him weirdly,"Changmin? Are you all right?"

"Y..yes father. Thank you for telling me. Please excuse me." He said as he ran out the door and to the garage where many of his family's cars were kept. He picked a random car key and jumped into the car. 

With shaking hands, he got his phone and called Kyuhyun,"Come on...pick up Cho!"

After about four rings, Kyuhyun finally picked up,"What? I was looking where Vic could be." He said annoyingly.

Changmin honked at the car in front of him,"I'm going to your house right now. Don't do anything, I know why Song didn't come to school today." Changmin said, pressing on the brakes.

"YOU DO?!?!?! HURRY UP!!!" Kyuhyun yelled over the phone right before he hung up.

Changmin sighed in annoyance and frustration. It took him five minutes to drive to Kyuhyun's mansion, another minute to yell at him to open the gates, and two minutes to park and run in.

Kyuhyun shoved him in his room and locked the door,"Okay. Tell me everything. Why wasn't she at school today?"

Changmin took a big breath,"Okay. So, like you said, I did see her in China. She's the daughter of my father's friend. The reason why she didn't come.... Well, she has some sort of cancer that the doctors can't heal. Apparently, she didn't know about it. They said that she was going to die before she turns eighteen. I think she found out today, and that's why she didn't come today."

He saw Kyuhyun's eyes grow wider with each word he described. When he finished, it was as big as the moon,"MY VICKY IS GOING TO DIE?!?!?!?!" He screamed out.

"I don't know. From what what I heard, it looks like it. Did you get to call her or something?" He asked.

"No! I called like a million times, but she never picked up. I even went to her house, but the lights were off, and the door was locked. Help me! If I don't have her next to me, there's no one to calm me down! I need her! She's like my best friend!! CHANGMIN!" 

"SHUT UP! I'm worried about her too! I...I didn't know why, but I remember now why I was so attracted to her."

~Flash Back~

Young Changmin, who was only six at the time, went up to the little girl in the sandbox. The little girl looked up and smiled,"Hi, I'm Qian!" She told him.

Changmin stared at her,"Shim Changmin." He said.

She smiled some more,"That's a cool name! It's not Chinese is it? You speak 
Mandarin though."

"My mama's Chinese, but my papa's Korean. My mama taught me when I was little." He informed.

"Really? That's cool! Oh, don't just stand there, come and play with me!" She said as she reached over and grabbed his hand.

Surprised, he followed her in and sat in front of her, in the sand. For the first time, he did something that he's father wouldn't approve of. There would be a lot more of that coming.

"Help me build a sandcastle C...Cha...Changmin?" She said, having a hard time over the foreign name.

"Changmin. And...okay." He said, picking up a shovel.

"Your papa is very handsome! I saw him early in the morning. Oh, here, I'll help you with that." She said as she saw him having a hard time.

"Is it your first time building a sand castle?" She asked, guiding his hand over to the sand mound.

He blushed,"Yeah... My papa doesn't let me do these things." 

She huffed,"Why? It's really fun, and perfectly safe. Your papa should let you do more things that are fun! When I grow up, I want to be a constructer like my papa!" She exclaimed."What do you want to be?"

"A business man like my papa. He says it's the only ideal job." He told her, earning a frown.

"But business people only seat and read papers. Constructers actually get to build and work at the site! I don't want to be stuck at an office all day. It's boring, don't you think? Try to think of a more creative job!" She told him.

He was baffled, mostly because he never thought about it,"Um... A singer!" He exclaimed.

She gasped in fascination,"A singer! That would be wonderful too! Here, I'll make a promise to you, when you become a famous singer, I'll build a big, BIG, house just for you C...Changmin!" 

He finally broke into a smile"Deal!"

-End of Flashback-

"Really?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Yeah. We got closer after that. I remember that I cried a lot when I had to go. We promised to remember eachother, but I guess neither of us kept it. She wanted to be a constructer, but I wonder why she changed it." He wondered.

"I can fill that one for you. One time, she had look after a baby for her mother. She didn't know what to do, so she sang a nursery song for the kid. Turns out, the baby was crazy over songs. It surprised her, but it made her happy, so she decided to study music." He informed him.

"Really... Well, we better find her. Even if she wants to study music, she still owes me a house, and it owe her a song."

-/-/-/-/-/-/-

At the airport...

Victoria was depressed. First, she found out she was going to die, then, she found out she was going to China today. Worst, the plane was suppose to leave early in the morning, but it still hadn't left, and it was close to dark. Her aunts didn't know what to do to console her. All she did was stare into blank space the whole day. She ignored her phone, or anything that caused her to give it her full attention.

She knew Kyuhyun would be worried about her, but she wasn't in the state to talk. She wondered if Changmin was worried about her.

"After all... I did promise you a house." 

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-

They went through all the computers in the house to find where she was. Kyuhyun went men all over the country to find her. Changmin even called his men. At the mansion, he and Kyuhyun were analyzing data, until a phone call came.

"Sir! Miss Song has just boarded a plane to China. She's going to her parents!" A guard informed him.

"What! Can you stop it?"

"It lifted off a few minutes ago sir." 

"ALL RIGHT! GET ME TWO PLANE TICKETS TO CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

-/-/-/-/-/-

Victoria slept the whole time to her home. When she opened her eyes, the familiar scent of her hometown greeted her. The the airport, her parents were out to greet her. She ran to them as soon as her eyes landed on the familiar figures.

They cried with her, knowing that their daughter had finally found her tragic fate. When they went home, they spent all night trying to explain the situation. She couldn't stop crying. It's been years since she saw her parents,and all she could do was cry.

Late in the night, she was the only awake. She stood up and went outside to get some fresh air. Her hometown smelled the same, grass and a scent of roses. She looked to the side to see her mother's garden of roses the same as they were since the last time she saw them. 

She went over to them and reached to pick one up. However, she ended up bleeding because of the thorns. Sighing, she turned toward the house to get some cloth to clean the blood, but she suddenly felt dizzy. Without knowing, she fell down and closed her eyes.


-/-/-/-/-/-/-

"Are we seriously going now?" Changmin asked him.

"Yes! Right now! We got my private jet! You were worried too! You knows what can happen to my Vicky! We have to go now!!!" He yelled, dragging Changmin with him.

"She arrived at her home just an hour ago! Shouldn't we let her parents explain everything and-"

"No time for that! I have to see her!!!" Kyuhyun shoved Changmin into the plane,"GOOOOOOOOO~~~~~~~"

-/-/-/-/-/-/-
ι киσω уσυ,
ι ωåℓкєđ ωιтħ уσυ σиçє υρσи å đɾєåм
ι киσω уσυ,
тħє gℓєåм ιи уσυɾ єуєѕ ιѕ ѕσ å fåмιℓιåɾ å gℓєåм
åиđ ι киσω ιт'ѕ тɾυє
тħє νιѕισиѕ åɾє ѕєℓđσм ωħåт тħєу ѕєєм
вυт ιf ι киσω уσυ
ι'ℓℓ киσω ωħåт уσυ'ℓℓ đσ
уσυ'ℓℓ ℓσνє мє åт σиçє, тħє ωåу уσυ đιđ σиçє υρσи å đɾєåм