ONE YEAR LATER

21 Cheongdam-dong Street

Minjoo and Yoseob bounced along to music on the radio as they set up the dinner set on the living room table. There were two overflowing plates of fried chicken, countless cans of beer, and all the snacks and side dishes possible.

“Don’t you think this is a little much for the occasion?” Minjoo asked, taking a step back to look at their spread.

“I don’t think it’s enough to celebrate my Detective Minnie’s one-year anniversary,” Yoseob said, kissing Minjoo on the cheek.

“Don’t forget the beer! Oh—” Kikwang walked in to a table already overflowing with food and drinks.

“You’re not the only one with that idea,” Hyunseung said, walking into the room and pointing to a wine bottle he placed down on the floor as well.

“And that one is mine,” Junhyung said, pointing to a large bottle of vodka on the kitchen counter.

“You all really need new hobbies,” Minjoo said, taking a seat on the couch. Yoseob sat next to her and held onto her hand.

Outside the apartment door, Doojoon arrived with a six-pack of beer as well. He was about to knock on the door when he saw a familiar figure walking down the hall behind him.

“Detective Seoyoon, long time no see,” Doojoon formally greeted, saluting her arrival. Seoyoon couldn’t help but blush.

“Has it really been a year since I last saw you?”

“Only because you kept refusing my hospital visits, and workplace visits, and home visits—”

“Because after the press found out Minjoo and I were undercover cops, they wouldn’t stop talking about how we were actually a couple. Wah, if only we could reveal the truth about…” Seoyoon stopped talking when she realized Doojoon’s facial expression was dropping. He stared quietly at the floor.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have brought it up,” Seoyoon said, putting her right hand nervously over her left arm.

“Are you feeling better now?” Doojoon asked.

“Completely recovered,” Seoyoon responded, swinging her shoulders back and forth. “You?”

“Well, as much as I can,” Doojoon said, with a reassuring smile. “Somehow, finally seeing you happy makes me feel much, much better.”

“Seeing you also makes me relieved,” Seoyoon said.

“Then, perhaps we should continue to see each other often?” Doojoon asked, with a wink. The door then opened, with Kikwang peeking out on the other side.

“Are you two done catching up? Come in already!”

“Ladies first,” Doojoon motioned. Seoyoon entered first, holding onto Doojoon’s hand.

“Finally, we’re all in the same room, and you’re not trying to put us in jail,” Dongwoon said. “Cheers!”