it's over

21 Cheongdam-dong Street

Doojoon sat in a mini-van seat beside Seoyoon, as her manager drove them to their next schedule together.

“Ah, just debuted and already so many CF deals,” Doojoon commented.

“You’re lucky I’m paying for your bills also,” Seoyoon joked.

The car then screeched to a halt at a red light. Doojoon stretched out his arm to protect Seoyoon, who gripped on tightly to his arm. She looked concerned at his sudden movement.

“Are you okay?” Doojoon asked. He brushed Seoyoon’s hair back slowly and lifted her chin to look directly into her eyes.

“You…” Seoyoon held tightly onto his arm, but as he retracted his arm, she ended up holding his hands. Suddenly, her heart started beating faster.

“Dongwoon told me about that bad sunbae-nim who met you late last week. I’m sorry you have to deal with that,” Doojoon said.

“It wasn’t anything,” Seoyoon quickly said, looking away. This time, Doojoon gripped her hand tightly and reached out with his right hand to lift her chin again.

“It happens to everyone, and it’s not nothing,” Doojoon said. “Since we’re around each other so much, I want to be someone you can trust, okay?”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

“Cheers—to another successful filming!” Dongwoon cheered. He, Yoseob, and Minjoo enjoyed a meal together with the variety show hosts and filming staff. Minjoo sat at the edge of the table, directly across from Dongwoon and next to Yoseob.

“So, still getting used to filmings, Minnie?” Dongwoon asked. “Ah—that reminds me. Since Seoyoon uses a stage name, what is your actual name? I couldn’t find it anywhere online.”

Seoyoon nearly chocked on her water. “You looked me up online?”

“Just out of curiosity,” Dongwoon lightly responded.

Minnie started gulping the water down to buy herself time to think of an answer. “My full name is Ryu Minyoung,” she lied.

“Minyoung? That is a great idol name also. Thought your real name would be something like Minbok or Minjoo…”

Minjoo once again choked, this time on her rice. Catching Beast in the act of an idol terror would be difficult, especially if they were already onto her. But if Dongwoon were toying with her, two could play at that game. She grabbed a bottle of soju nearby and chugged it down in one go. Dongwoon and Yoseob were attentive.

“Actually, I…” Minjoo clasped Dongwoon’s hands between hers and held them close to her lips. “Actually, I really like you! And Seoyoon is in love with you also! And I was so jealous and didn’t know how to tell you so—”

“Okay, okay, that’s enough,” Yoseob said, breaking their hands apart. “Sorry, it’s just a joke! This round is on me!” Yoseob said, in hopes of redirecting the attention of the rest of the dinner party. They seemed appeased.

“Dongwoon, do you have anything to say?” Minjoo asked, reaching towards Dongwoon’s face. He flinched away. “Ah, he doesn’t love me! No one ever loves me!” She began crying and reached for another bottle of soju, chugging it before Yoseob could pull it away.

“What did I tell you? She doesn’t know anything,” Yoseob whispered to Dongwoon. “Now take up responsibility for what you’re doing to her. Why am I always cleaning up after Minjoo, anyway?”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Doojoon stepped out of the shadows in a black-on-black tuxedo. His brushed his hair back with his left hand, showing off a shiny Rolex watch.

Seoyoon then stepped out of the shadows across a cloth table, in a silky black sleeveless dress with a long cut on the side. She stepped out with her back to Doojoon, showing off her and long legs.

“You know what I am here for,” Seoyoon whispered. He suddenly spun to face her, his arms up. She lifted her arms and pointed her handgun straight towards Doojoon.

“It’s you, isn’t it, Oppa?”

“I swear—I—”

“Don’t make me shoot!”

“Seoyoon-ah!”

Seoyoon shot a blank and the watch on Doojoon’s wrist suddenly flew in the air.

“Cut!” the Director called. “Doojoon, you called her Seoyoon again.”

“Ah, sorry—it’s a habit,” he said, with a large smile.

“Five minute break,” the Director called.

Doojoon picked the watch up from the ground and fumbled with it on his arm. Seoyoon then stepped forward to fasten it on for him.

“Let me do this,” she said. He held out his arm steadily for her, watching her softly.

“I’ve never met a prop assistant wear such luxurious clothes to work before,” he joked.

“I’ve never met an idol actor who can act before,” Seoyoon said, “and that did not change today.”

“Wah—!” Doojoon exclaimed loudly before covering his mouth with his free hand, realizing a camera was still on them. “Ah, Seoyoon, say hi.” As Seoyoon finished fixing the watch on his arm, he spun her around to the camera, placing a hand on her shoulder.

“Ah, hello everyone,” Seoyoon said. “Doojoon Oppa is a great actor! Ten out of ten!”

“But that’s not what you just said?” he said.

Seoyoon gently pushed him away. “That—”

There was a sudden explosion in the room that blew out the lights. The floor shook and the air filled with smoke. Seoyoon and Doojoon fell to the ground, with Doojoon barely breaking Seoyoon’s fall.

“Another smoke bomb?” she exclaimed.

“No—I think it’s a real bomb,” Doojoon explained, quickly taking off his suit jacket.

The smoke rose in the air, revealing a fire on all the filming equipment. The fire quickly spread across the set, separating Doojoon and Seoyoon apart from the staff as they evacuated the building.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Dongwoon hurriedly opened the door to their dorm for Yoseob, who carried a sleeping Minjoo on his back easily, despite her height.

“Are you sure this is best idea?” Dongwoon asked, rearranging couch pillows for Minjoo.

“Our dorm was right next to the restaurant. We just need to wait for her to sober up,” Yoseob said, brushing Minjoo’s hair out of her face. Dongwoon sighed in resignation before going into his own room. Yoseob left a glass of water for Minjoo before also going into his room.

Minjoo slowly opened her eyes and quietly sat up, making sure that no one heard her movements. She tip-toed to the right side of the house, where she spotted the bathroom and two other closed bedroom doors. She first the bathroom light and closed the door. She then peeked into the first room—a mess, with clothes lying on every surface and pictures of Hyunseung hanging on the walls. She crept further down the hallway to the second room, but the door was locked. She took out a card from her pocket and managed to open the lock without a struggle. She closed and locked it again behind her.

The room was sparsely furnished. One large bed, a dresser, a desk with multiple cabinets. Above the desk hung a single photo—of Doojoon and his family. One large manila folder laid on the desk, with a photograph face-down on the folder. Minjoo turned the photograph around in her hands, but nearly dropped it after seeing the image. It was a photograph of the Beast members sitting together at the restaurant where she and Seoyoon also ate at, to celebrate Honeymoon’s first music show win.

“Minjoo?” Yoseob called from the hallway. “Ah, are you awake now? How are you feeling?” Yoseob knocked on the bathroom door, waiting for a response. Minjoo sped up her investigation.

If Beast members are the culprits, who took this photo? She began searching the desk for additional clues, but the desk was barren except for one locked cabinet.

“Minjoo, are you okay in there?” Yoseob called, knocking louder. Minjoo heard Dongwoon coming out of his room as well.

Minjoo took out a bobby pin from her hair and began trying to jimmy the locked cabinet open, to no success.

“Minjoo! Say something,” Dongwoon yelled, knocking on the door rapidly. Then, in a quieter voice to Yoseob, “I told you this was a bad idea. She’s probably thrown up all over—”

“Minjoo, I’m going to come in, okay? On the count of three. One, two, three—”

Minjoo threw away the bobby pin and forced open the cabinet at the count of three, making an audible sound from the hallway.

“That came from Doojoon’s room,” Dongwoon said. He reached the locked door and tried opening the doorknob.

“Yah—Minnie’s not in the bathroom,” Yoseob said.

“Yah, Minjoo! I heard you in Doojoon’s room!” Dongwoon yelled, banging on the door.

At this point, Minjoo tore open the cabinet, finding a pile of manila folders. She spared no time in opening them and spilling their contents onto the desk. They were all photos of Beast members—recent and old. Minjoo recognized the recent photos as idol terror sites. But the old photos came from all different eras—some looked like behind the scenes photos for events, others looked like personal engagements, and others were intimate photos. And in many of these intimate photos, Doojoon posed with a woman Minjoo could not recognize.

As Minjoo took out her cell phone to send photos to the detectives, when Dongwoon and Yoseob finally opened the door.

“What is going on?” Dongwoon exclaimed. Yoseob walked to the desk and looked at the photos Minjoo had in her hands.

“You better tell me what is going on,” Minjoo said, holding up an old photo of the Beast members with the mysterious woman. “Who is this person?”

“That… where did you get this?” Yoseob asked in disbelief. “If she’s back, we need to find Doojoon. Right now.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

“Quick, grab my hand,” Doojoon said, getting to his feet with Seoyoon. He wrapped his jacket around her shoulders, as the two of them ran back away from the fire.

“The exit’s on the other side!” Seoyoon eyed for a way to get across to VJ who was filming them and the rest of the crew, but the fire on the filming equipment was growing too strong to cross.

“Follow me. There has to be a way out of here,” Doojoon said, grabbing her hand. He led them through a maze of darkness, pushing aside large equipment before reaching a door Seoyoon had not noticed before. Doojoon opened the doors to reveal an outdoor emergency exit, with fire ladders reaching both the roof and the ground floor.

“We are on the fourteenth floor. It’s better to go up two floors to the roof and wait for firefighters there,” Doojoon explained. He held out his hand to help Seoyoon first. “I promise I won’t look.”

“You—how did you know this was here?” Seoyoon asked. A second explosion went off in the room behind them. She wasted no more time, and began climbing the stairs.

Once she reached the top, she held out her hand to help Doojoon up. A third explosion went off, and flames reached the emergency exit where they had just emerged from. The flames glowed even brighter out in the dark night.

“Are you okay?” Doojoon worriedly asked, checking Seoyoon’s face and arms. “It wasn’t supposed to happen like this…”

She let Doojoon’s jacket fall to the floor and held his face in her hands.

“What do you mean it wasn’t supposed to happen like this? How was it supposed to happen?”

Doojoon stammered, lost for words as he looked into Seoyoon’s eyes. “I’m sorry…”

A masked figure suddenly ran up from behind Doojoon with a knife. Seoyoon instinctively turned to protect the civilian—taking on the stabbing herself.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

“We need to talk to Hyung right now.” Dongwoon quickly dialed Doojoon’s number, pacing the room while waiting for a response. “Her name is Do Yooyoung. She was our former makeup artist.”

“And a little more than that, no?” Minjoo held up a photo of Yooyoung and Doojoon, lying in bed together.

“She was a trainee with us at first, before we debuted. Then, when she didn’t debut, she joined us as a makeup artist. And about a year after that, she and Doojoon started dating. They were each other’s first love,” Yoseob explained. “But she was crazy. She became obsessive over him—over all of us. She always hated working with other female makeup artists or stylists. She always wanted Doojoon to act a certain way on camera.”

“When did they break up?” Minjoo asked.

“Over two years ago now. But if she got these photos of us recently…”

“It looks like she is stalking and blackmailing Doojoon,” Minjoo deduced. “Would she go so far as to commit these idol terrors?”

 “Now that I think about it, Doojoon started giving us weird orders around the time of the idol terrors,” Yoseob said. “Switching our styling team around, taking on more projects than usual, telling us to start living apart. We all thought it was just him preparing to go to military service, but…”

“Hyung’s not answering his phone,” Dongwoon said, redialing Doojoon’s number.

“Yah, where were your managers today?” Minjoo asked.

“They… Doojoon told them to have the day off,” Yoseob said, in sudden realization. The three of them wasted no time in rushing down to the parking lot, into Dongwoon’s car.

Minjoo called Captain Ahn, who answered promptly. “Captain, I need you to send support to Seoyoon’s location now. She and others may be in danger—”

“We just received a call from your manager about a fire that broke out. Seoyoon and Doojoon are nowhere to be found. If that good-for-nothing idol did anything—”

“Beast members are not the suspects—but the victims. The real suspect is Do Yooyoung. I am sending a photo of you now. She has been stalking and blackmailing Doojoon for the past six months—”

“I’m sure that’s what those idols want you to believe,” Captain Ahn said.

“Sir, please do not patronize me. Believe me, we have no time. Seoyoon and Doojoon are both in danger. Send support to their location now!”

Minjoo ended the call as they strapped into Dongwoon’s car. “You… you’re a police officer, aren’t you?” Dongwoon said.

“You celebrities really aren’t that bright, are you?” Minjoo said, with a wink. “Now, we need to find our friends.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

“Do Yooyoung! Please, stop!” Doojoon cried, holding Seoyoon in his arms. She bled out from her left shoulder, where she was pierced by a sharp knife.

“Yoon Doojoon, why do you never follow my instructions now? For this ?” Yooyoung tried pulling Seoyoon away from Doojoon, but he would not let go. Yooyoung screamed at the top of her lungs. “You want to keep holding on? Fine!” She lifted the knife once more—but this time, Doojoon stood up to stop her.

“You can’t be like this. It’s not supposed to be like this,” Doojoon said, tears falling from his eyes.

“Why do you keep breaking my promises, Oppa?” Yooyoung asked, now speaking sweetly. “Don’t you love me?”

Doojoon stepped closer to Yooyoung and reached out a hand. “I love you. I’ve always loved you. And no one but you, remember?”

“I can’t remember,” Yooyoung said, suddenly pointing the knife threateningly at Doojoon. “Don’t come to me now, you two-timing—”

Yooyoung suddenly fell to the ground, pulled down by Seoyoon. Seoyoon pinned Yooyoung down against the floor, wrestling her for the knife. Doojoon stepped in to grab the knife when Yooyoung suddenly bit down on Seoyoon’s left shoulder—right where the stab wound was. Seoyoon cried out in pain, and Yooyoung easily regained control. She held her knife up to Seoyoon’s neck.

“You found a great girlfriend, Oppa. She’s a real fighter,” Yooyoung said.

“Yooyoung, I was only doing what you told me to. You told me to find a TV girlfriend. You—”

“And you thought I would be happy seeing you like that? Hearing about your new girlfriend made me jealous, made me angry, made me… feel alive again.”

Doojoon stepped back in horror.

“Yooyoung… you have no idea what you are doing,” Seoyoon breathlessly said. “I…”

Yooyoung rested the tip of her knife into Seoyoon’s neck. “I waited all these years for my revenge. I wanted you to find another pretty thing so that I could take her away from you. So that you would choose me this time.”

“I’ll give you what you want—anything. Just let Seoyoon go—” Doojoon pleaded.

“I set the rules! And you do not get to say her name!” Yooyoung screamed. “You think I found you months ago just to start dating you again? You already took my life away, Oppa. I am nothing. But in this moment, right now, I am your world, aren’t I?”

Doojoon fell down to his knees and carefully reached out to Yooyoung.

“You have always been my world. I am nothing. Let us be together—peacefully—”

“Then you choose me? Perfect.” Yooyoung raised her knife once more and brought it down towards Seoyoon’s chest—but not before Seoyoon grabbed onto Yooyoung’s wrist and tackled her to the ground once more.

“You don’t want to do this. Not with me,” Seoyoon said. Doojoon wasted no time and knocked the knife out of Yooyoung’s grasp.

Yooyoung grabbed onto Seoyoon’s hair and left shoulder, clawing at the stab wound. Doojoon firmly held down one of Yooyoung’s arms. Below, they could hear the fire truck, ambulance, and police cars arrive on the scene. Doojoon

“Oppa, please don’t do this to me. I’m hurting. Oppa,” Yooyoung cried, reaching out for Doojoon with both hands now. “Oppa, I’m so sorry. Please—please—”

“Why? Why do you always do this to me?” Doojoon yelled.

“Because I love you, and my love will protect you forever,” Yooyoung said, singing.

From behind the three of them came another loud clanging sound, this time from the stairwell door. Minjoo rushed up with Captain Ahn with a team of firefighters and medics.

“Do Yooyoung, you are under arrest!” Captain Ahn exclaimed, pointing his firearm at the woman pinned down on the floor.

Minjoo rushed over to Seoyoon and Doojoon to handcuff Yooyoung. “Hey, I need a stretcher for Detective Seoyoon! She has a stab wound,” Minjoo yelled, directing the services. Doojoon was taken aback by the operation.

“Oppa, don’t let them take me—Oppa, don’t you love me?” Yooyoung screamed, fighting against Captain Ahn and Minjoo’s grip.

All Doojoon could cry, as he watched the detectives take away his worst nightmare and first love.

Somehow, it’s over.