.19.

The Sweetest Smiles Hold the Darkest Secrets

“I’ve got nothing,” Baekhyun groaned, flopping down on the chaise lounge in his private sitting room. “I’ve racked my brain for two weeks now and I can’t think of a single way to call off this wedding.”

Yixing was only half-heartedly listening, hanging freshly-pressed laundry up in the wardrobe. He hummed noncommittally.

“Come on,” Baekhyun wheedled, leaning back on his hands. “You’ve got to have some idea. You’re like the smartest person I know.”

Yixing rolled his eyes, but he was smiling. “Flattery will get you nowhere with me,” he pointed out. “Besides, I don’t have any ideas. Short of killing poor Miss Shin Yujin, I’ve got nothing.”

“Obviously that’s out of the question,” Baekhyun grumbled, wrinkling his nose.

Yixing hung the final shirt in the wardrobe and shut the door. “Why don’t you just go ask Madame if you can marry someone else,” he cracked.

“Hm…” Baekhyun murmured thoughtfully.

“Baek, that was a joke,” Yixing said flatly. “Obviously you’ve already had this conversation with her. She’s not going to change her mind.”

“It’s true that we did talk about it before, but I sort of lost my temper and there was a lot of yelling,” Baekhyun pointed out. “Maybe if I talk to her rationally…I mean, who’s the head of the family now? Me, right? I should have a say.”

“You should,” Yixing agreed. “But Madame will only give up full control of the family over her dead body.”

Baekhyun got to his feet. “She’s got to have at least one reasonable bone in her body, right?” he said. “Surely I can talk some sense into her.”

Yixing folded his arms and arched an eyebrow skeptically. “You’re really going to go do this? Now?”

“Yes,” Baekhyun said determinedly. “And it has to be now or else I’ll lose my nerve.”

“Well, if you’re going to get murdered, you should at least look presentable,” Yixing said, picking up Baekhyun’s suit jacket from the chair he’d thrown it on when he’d come in.

Baekhyun grimaced, allowing Yixing to help him into the jacket. “Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“Anytime, buddy,” Yixing replied cheekily. “I’ll wait here. Hopefully you’ll come back in one piece.”

Baekhyun’s heart was pounding as he made the now-familiar trek through the opulent corridors towards the formal lounge that Madame favored so much. He almost chickened out by the time he got there, but he took a deep breath and knocked on the door before his nerves completely deserted him.

“Come in,” Madame called in a bored-sounding voice.

Baekhyun took another deep breath and let himself into the lounge. A fire was roaring in the elaborate fireplace; it chased away a bit of the chill that permeated the entire house.

Madame saw that it was him and rolled her eyes. “It’s late, boy. What do you want?”

Baekhyun ignored the stab of annoyance at being called boy yet again and sat down on the settee next to her. “I just wanted to see how you were holding up,” he said, forcing himself to sound genuine. “I know you and Great Aunt Hyomin were close. It must have been hard for you to lose her.”

Madame hesitated for a moment, looking suspicious, but then she looked down at the cigarette in her long, bony fingers. “No, I’m afraid we were never very close.” She paused. “Hyomin never liked me much.”

Baekhyun resisted the urge to reply sarcastically; Hyomin had been no angel, but Madame was pretty difficult to like. “Why is that?”

He can see Madame’s defenses coming down a bit. “Hyomin and  Hyojun were very close, you see. She never thought I was quite good enough for her brother. I also think she resented me for taking over the family.”

“Hyojun…that was your husband? My grandfather?” Baekhyun pressed carefully. He knew if he pushed too much, too quickly, she would withdraw and he’d lose whatever ground he was currently gaining.

Madame seemed to be gazing off into the distance, looking at something only she could see. “Yes, he was your grandfather.”

Baekhyun hesitated. “Did you love him, Madame?”

She didn’t answer right away, and for a second Baekhyun worried he had overstepped. But then she sighed and said, “I felt affection for him, after a while, but no. It was never love. Love is a luxury those in our position can’t afford.” She finally looked at him. “I know you think I’m being harsh by insisting that you marry the Shin girl, but it’s the way things have to be. Everyone in the family has or will have their marriage arranged.”

Baekhyun hesitated. “Madame, do you really not believe in the curse?”

She gave him an annoyed look. “I’ve told you before, Baekhyun, there’s no such thing as curses.”

There was a long pause, and Baekhyun expected to be dismissed at any moment.

But then she sighed. “I don’t know. A lot of unexplained things happen to this family. But we have no choice. We have to move forward. That’s all we can do.” She stubbed out her cigarette and rubbed her hand wearily over her eyes. “I’m tired. I’d like it if you left now.”

Baekhyun got to his feet and bowed low, respectfully. He paused at the door. “I’m really glad I got to talk to you, Madame,” he said honestly.

He could’ve sworn he saw her smile a bit before the door closed behind him, but he couldn’t have been sure.

The following day he was stuck at the family’s offices downtown. He still didn’t like business, but, he had to admit, it was coming easier to him now that he’d had several months of practice.

It was after lunch and he was sitting in the conference room with the board of directors. A staff member was doing a presentation about a new client that had been proposed. It was like any other of these presentations – Baekhyun had seen more than his fair share by that point – and he found his mind wandering.

He was looking anywhere but at the front of the conference room where the presentation was taking place, which is why he saw the hassled gentleman before anyone else. The conference room wall facing the hallway was constructed of glass, so he had a clear view of the way the man ran up to Yifan and Zitao, who were standing guard, as usual, just outside the door. He saw the way the man panted something out, the way his two bodyguards exchanged uncertain looks, the way Yifan steeled himself before knocking on the door to interrupt the presentation.

“Pardon the interruption,” he said politely, bowing. “I need to speak with Mr. Kim immediately.”

Brow furrowed with curiosity, Baekhyun got to his feet and left the conference room, pulling the door closed behind him. “What’s going on?” he directed his question to the unfamiliar man.

The man bowed low, almost like he was afraid to meet Baekhyun’s searching gaze. “There’s been an accident, sir. You need to get home right away.”

Immediately Baekhyun’s mind went to Chanyeol or Yixing, and a panic bubbled up that his friends might have been hurt. But then he shook his head. Neither Chanyeol nor Yixing were part of the Kim family; they were probably safe. But what about Junmyeon? He was just as good a friend to Baekhyun as anyone. He couldn’t bear it if something happened to his cousin.

“Who is it?” he demanded, voice thick with concern. “Who’s dead?”

But the man glanced at Yifan, who discreetly shook his head, and said, “It’s really something we ought to discuss in private, sir. Please, your limousine is waiting out front. You need to get home right away.”

Baekhyun accepted the heavy winter jacket Zitao wordlessly held out to him, a cold fear gripping his heart. Nobody had corrected him when he’d asked who was dead. So somebody was definitely dead.

It wasn’t until he was in the back of the limousine with his two bodyguards that Yifan cleared his throat and spoke. “It’s Madame,” he finally explained. “Madame is dead.”

Baekhyun was shocked. Sure he’d known Madame was old – after Great Aunt Hyomin had died, she’d been the oldest family member left – but she had somehow seemed so permanent, so indestructible. “B-but I was just talking to her last night!” he exclaimed. “What happened?”

“We don’t know.” Yifan shook his head. “All we know is that there’s been an accident and Madame is dead. I’m sure we’ll find out more when we get to the manor.”

When the limousine pulled up in front of the house, there was only a single ambulance there, the lights turned off. This didn’t surprise Baekhyun; it was a bit of a drive from the office to the estate, so whatever important things that needed to get done had probably already been completed.

Junmyeon was there as soon as Baekhyun climbed out of the car, not waiting for the driver to open the door for him. “Baek,” Junmyeon exclaimed, and it was obvious from his flushed complexion and disheveled hair that things were quite wrong. “Thank god you’re here!”

“What the hell happened?” Baekhyun demanded, hurrying into the house with Junmyeon. “Nobody seems to know anything except that Madame is dead.”

“Jesus Christ, Baek,” Junmyeon said, running long fingers wearily through his hair. Baekhyun knew it must be bad because Junmyeon very rarely lost his cool. “She was…she was…”

“Come on, spit it out already!” Baekhyun usually wouldn’t snap, especially at someone he respected like Junmyeon, but he was dying from morbid curiosity.

Junmyeon swallowed thickly and lowered his voice. “She was impaled.”

Baekhyun blinked at him stupidly. “Impaled?” he repeated incredulously. “What do you mean she was impaled? By what?”

“An umbrella,” Junmyeon replied miserably. “Jang Hyunjoo was here – you know, the girl Jongdae is betrothed to. She doesn’t like the house – who can blame her? – so she wanted to take a walk through the garden even though it was raining. Because it would be improper for her and Jongdae to be out alone in the grounds unsupervised, Madame went with them as a chaperone. While they were out there – and this is just what I’ve heard from Jongdae and Hyunjoo, mind you, since they were the only ones there – there was a really strong gust of wind and it ripped the umbrella out of Hyunjoo’s hands. The point of it got Madame right between the eyes…” He lowered his head. It was no secret that Madame had treated him poorly, but she had still been an important part of his life and it must have been quite traumatic for him to lose her like that.

“Junmyeon, isn’t it impossible for an umbrella to do that much damage?” Baekhyun demanded.

He looked up, and for the first time, Baekhyun saw fear in his eyes. “It should be,” he agreed. “But…”

“The curse,” Baekhyun finished for him. “The curse got her.”

Junmyeon nodded. “I think maybe it did.”

Baekhyun ran his hands through his hair, messing up the trendy style he now wore on a daily basis. “,” he muttered. “Is Jongdae okay? What about Hyunjoo? Jeez, they must be traumatized.”

“I don’t know about Jongdae,” Junmyeon admitted. “He’s always been a bit stoic. But poor Hyunjoo…she’s hysterical. Her parents are here with her now, but the police won’t let her leave yet.”

“God,” Baekhyun groaned. “Where are they?”

“In the formal lounge,” Junmyeon said. “Are you going to speak with them?”

“I’m head of the family,” Baekhyun said, and it was all the more real now that Madame was gone. “It’s my duty.”

So, with Junmyeon in tow and Yifan and Zitao trailing discreetly behind them, he made his way to the formal lounge. A pretty girl was sitting on the settee that Madame had always favored, sobbing uncontrollably. An older woman, presumably her mother, was sitting beside her, an arm wrapped around the weeping girl, trying to comfort her. An older man was standing with the police, arms crossed over a three-piece suit, looking angry and disgruntled. Jongdae stood alone by the fireplace, staring into the flames distractedly.

Everyone looked up when Baekhyun and Junmyeon came in.

“Mr. Kim,” one of the detectives said, coming over to shake his hand. “It’s a pleasure to see you, though I wish it was under different circumstances.”

Baekhyun didn’t reply to the greeting. “What’s going on here?” he demanded. “Why are the Jangs being kept here?”

“My question exactly,” the angry man, Mr. Jang, agreed loudly. “My daughter has been through enough today. She needs to go home and get some rest.”

The detective faltered. “I thought you would want an investigation into Madame Kim’s death, sir. After all, it was Miss Jang’s umbrella that was the murder weapon.”

At that, Hyunjoo began to wail even more loudly, hiding her face in her handkerchief.

Baekhyun walked over and sat down beside her, taking one of her hands in his own. She looked up at him, her face tear-stained, her hair disheveled.

“Miss Jang,” he said softly, gently. “Please know that this was in no way your fault. It was an accident, nothing more. Please don’t let this rest on your conscience. You are in no way to blame.”

Hyunjoo hiccupped and her crying seemed to subside just a bit. Mrs. Jang gave him a grateful sort of smile.

Baekhyun glanced at one of the servants, hovering, as always, near the door. “Please show the Jangs to their car,” he said loudly. “This has been a very trying day for them and I’m sure they’d like to get home.”

“But Mr. Kim-!” the detective began.

“You’ve taken Miss Jang’s statement, have you not?” Baekhyun said pointedly. “There is nothing more to keep them for then. Like I said, this was an accident, not murder. Miss Jang can’t control the wind anymore than you or I. I don’t want any more investigation into this matter. Do I make myself clear?”

The detective bowed his head. “Yes, sir.” He beckoned to the other policemen and they all left, following a servant towards the grand foyer.

Baekhyun glanced at the remaining servants and his bodyguards. “Leave us for a minute,” he instructed.

Yifan started to object.

“I’m head of this house, Yifan, and you work for me,” Baekhyun said firmly. “Unless you wish to be unemployed, do as I say.”

Yifan hesitated, then bowed and left, pulling the door closed.

Junmyeon looked around uncertainly. “Do you mean me, too?”

“No, you stay,” Baekhyun said, voice losing his edge. “You’re family.” He turned to Jongdae. “Jongdae? Come sit down.”

Jongdae looked a bit ashen-faced, but did as he was told.

Baekhyun looked at him seriously. “Are you okay?” he asked. “I don’t know if you and Madame were close, but to see that…”

“I don’t want to think about it,” Jongdae answered honestly, closing his eyes. “I just…it shouldn’t have been possible…”

Baekhyun sighed. Seeing the curse firsthand must be quite shocking. “Junmyeon, will you ask one of the servants to bring a doctor? I think we need to get Jongdae some sleeping pills to help him rest.” He put his hands on Jongdae’s shoulder. “It’ll be okay, Jongdae,” he promised. “I’ll find a way to stop this.”

Jongdae didn’t ask him what he was talking about; he probably already knew in his heart. They all did.

After the house had returned to some semblance of order – the best it could, with its matriarch gone – Baekhyun found his way to the place where he felt calmest: the stables.

Even though it was nearly dinnertime by then, Chanyeol was still there. He’d been tidying up, putting things in their proper place, but he stopped when Baekhyun entered the barn.

“You okay?” he asked, coming over to sit beside Baekhyun on an overturned crate.

Baekhyun barked out a humorless laugh. “Not really,” he admitted. Then he sighed. “Well, at least that’s one problem solved.”

Chanyeol’s mouth quirked up despite the grimness of the day. “A problem solved?” he questioned.

“Well, now that Madame is gone, I don’t have to marry Shin Yujin,” he said. “I can call off the engagement now that I have the real power.”

The taller male leaned back on his hands. “You don’t want to marry Shin Yujin,” he said casually. “So who do you want to marry?”

Baekhyun was distracted, so he answered honestly. “No one. Not until this curse is lifted. I’m not putting anyone else in danger.”

“Once you lift the curse then,” Chanyeol pressed, cocking his head to the side. “Then what kind of person would you like to marry?”

“I don’t know.” Baekhyun was still distracted. It was the only way he would answer so honestly. “Someone who is down to earth, who likes to work outside or with their hands. Someone who doesn’t treat me like royalty, but someone who likes me for who I am. Someone taller than me. Maybe with a deep voice and a bright smile and big ears. Someone…” He trailed off, realizing that he had described Chanyeol to a T.

Chanyeol met his gaze, blushing slightly. “Someone like me?”

Baekhyun’s mouth was suddenly very dry. “I-I…” He couldn’t think of anything to say.

But, he realized, he didn’t have to say anything. Chanyeol cupped his cheek gently and then their lips were meeting. Chanyeol kissed him slowly at first, like he was testing the waters. First he mapped out Baekhyun’s lips with his own and, when it seemed like he had memorized them, he used his tongue to break the seam and explored Baekhyun’s mouth.

Baekhyun felt all rational thought slipping away as Chanyeol kissed him, hands in the front of the other’s dirty work shirt. This…this was what he had been waiting his whole life for. Nobody had ever made him feel the way Chanyeol did. There were fireworks exploding in his head; his heart felt like it might burst.

But then he was pushing Chanyeol away. “I-I can’t…” he panted.

“Oh…” Chanyeol looked disappointed. “I understand…”

“It’s not that I don’t want to,” Baekhyun assured him quickly. “I do very much want to.” This earned him a small smile. Then he sighed. “This curse though…I refuse to put you in danger. I won’t. You’re too important to me. I won’t lose you.” He hesitated, then reached for Chanyeol’s hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. “Once this curse is broken, though…”

Chanyeol grinned and gave him a soft peck on the lips. “I’ll be waiting.”


So the last time I updated this, my kid was just over a year old. Well, now she's about to be two and her little sister is halfway done growing. By April I'll hve two little munchkins running around, and I am determined - DETERMINED - to finish all my stories by then. I know you guys probably don't believe me - and honestly I don't blame you lol - but I really hope to finish this story in the next month or two. 

If you're still reading this story, I really appreciate it!