.14.

The Sweetest Smiles Hold the Darkest Secrets

Knock, knock.

Baekhyun looked up with a certain amount of irritation. He’d been engrossed in a proposal he was supposed to be submitting to a possible client, and being interrupted meant that he was going to lose his train of thought.

But there it went. He already didn’t know his abstracts from his appendices. He really wasn’t made for business.

“Come in,” he called, shoving the proposal away in disgust.

It was a servant that Baekhyun had seen around a few times but didn’t know the name of. The man was one of Madame’s, which meant that Baekhyun wanted as little to do with him as possible.

“Forgive the interruption, Young Master,” the man said, bowing low. “But Madame requests your presence in her private sitting room.”

Baekhyun, already in a bad mood and with a pounding headache thanks to the proposal, snapped, “And what if I refuse?”

The servant hesitated. “I feel that would be unwise, Young Master.”

Groaning, Baekhyun got to his feet. “Fine. I’m coming.”

He found Madame sitting on her upholstered chaise lounge, sipping tea through pursed lips painted the brightest shade of red. Baekhyun’s grandmother – his real grandmother, that was – would’ve called her a harlot. Baekhyun snickered at the thought, then felt a pang of loss. He missed his paternal grandmother quite a lot.

“Does something amuse you, boy?” Madame demanded.

Baekhyun ducked his head. Despite his earlier obstinacy, he wasn’t looking for a fight. “No, ma’am. You wished to see me?”

“Yes, that’s right,” Madame said coolly, setting her tea aside and beckoning him to come closer. “Our lawyers have finally finished your betrothal contract, so we’ll be holding your engagement party next week.”

Baekhyun stared at her blankly. “Betrothal contract?” he repeated. “Engagement party?”

Madame sighed like he was the biggest idiot in the world and said, “Yes, boy. Your betrothal to the daughter of the Shin Corporation.”

“You can’t just decide all of a sudden to marry me off!” Baekhyun exclaimed, horrified by the very idea.

Madame arched an eyebrow at him. “Sudden?” she repeated. “This isn’t sudden at all, boy. You’ve been betrothed to her practically since you were born. But now that you’re both of age – and you’ve come into your inheritance – it’s time to move things along. You’ll be married by this time next year.”

“I won’t,” Baekhyun refused hotly.

Madame was both surprised and infuriated by his blatant disrespect. “You will,” she insisted coldly. “And you will not complain. The Shin girl will bring a lot of wealth and political influence to our family.”

“We already have enough wealth and political influence!” Baekhyun exclaimed. He was shouting now, but he didn’t care. “I have done everything you have asked of me! I left behind my entire life and moved here, to this horrible place. I have let you belittle me and treat me like for months now! I have taken your classes and become chairman of the board for our companies! I have done everything! But I won’t do this. I won’t!”

Madame got to her feet, and Baekhyun was reminded again just how intimidating she was for an old lady. She was absolutely furious. “As the head of this family, you will bend to my will, Kim Baekhyun!” she thundered.

But Baekhyun wouldn’t back down. “I will not!” he screamed. “I will marry for love and no other reason! And it’s Byun Baekhyun!”

Madame’s lips pressed together in a thin line and there was an angry vein pulsing in her temple. “You do not have a choice in this matter,” she informed him icily.

Baekhyun scoffed, furious. “I guess all of Kim Hoik’s descendants are as ing spineless as he was.”

Madame’s face suddenly went white out of anger and disbelief. “What did you just say to me?” she demanded shrilly.

Baekhyun glared at her defiantly. “You heard me,” he said loudly. “I know all about Kim Hoik and Woo Yewon. Money and power was more important to him, and it is for you, too. You’re spineless and disgusting. I can’t wait until the curse claims you.”

Madame slammed her cane so hard against the floor that it was in danger of breaking. “There is no curse!” she shrieked.

But Baekhyun plowed on, a fierce sort of hatred pounding through his veins. “We all know that’s a lie,” he said darkly. “And it’s coming for you. And once you’re gone, I will break this curse.”

And he his heel and stomped out of the room, ignoring Madame’s screams for him to stop. 


Sorry it's so short, guys!

I'll update again soon! <3