Too Young

Not a Bad Thing

Stopping in front of her apartment’s front door, Hakyeon heaved out an audible sigh. His head was full of thoughts; he had no idea how to keep his head clear from all the bothering thoughts. All he knew was he couldn’t help but to think, and think.

Taking a glimpse of his wrist watch, he turned around, away from the door after seeing that it was already one minute passed seven. Letting out another heavy sigh out, he leaned on the door as he shut his eyes down. He knew he shouldn’t be this way. He shouldn’t come this late; he shouldn’t let her words sink into him but…

Here he was, letting the time ticking down, while she was on the other side of the door, probably waiting for him. Taking another look on his five years old wrist watch, he finally stood straight and turned against the door before entering the passcode, hoping that he had done something right.

Pushing the door opened, he pulled out a wide smile but the curved on his lips turned dead as soon as his gaze fell to the deserted living room. His eyebrows instantly narrowed as he shuffled into the living room and puzzled look spread on his face like jam spread. “Choi Jaehee?” he called as his head turned from left to right, searching for the petite figure.

“It’s me, I’m home,” he called out, hoping that he would receive some response but all he heard was silence and his voice, looking for her. Stepping into the kitchen, his eyes scanned from one corner to another corner only to receive similar answer, she was not in the kitchen as well.

“Where is she…” he murmured under his breath as he moved to push open the door to her bedroom but his eyes only fell to the neatly organised bed.

“Choi Jaehee? Are you there?” he called as he directed his question to the quiet bathroom. Moving closer to the bathroom’s door, he listened for movements or the sound of running water from the shower. But there was only silence.

Perhaps she was still out there, on her way home. But, she should have informed him in a way. Pulling out his cell phone, he saw nothing on the screen and quickly, his thumb searching for her number before he paused on the sight of her number.

If he was going to make a call, this will be his first time making a call on her. First time for him, to hear that voice of her through phone and only imagination would help him to visualise how her face reacted on the other line. Shaking his head to brush the thoughts off, he questioned himself. What’s the big deal? It was only a phone call.

Continue with his initial intention, he pressed the call icon before he brought the phone close to his ear. Instead of ringing sound, his call was answered by the operator lady causing him to blow a big breath before he attempted another call. Hoping that, it would ring and his ear would hear her voice but a hint of disappointment flashed on his face.

Without him realising, he found himself on the couch as he ended the call. Taking a glance on the wall clock, it was already half an hour since he entered the house. He couldn’t reach her, not because she was avoiding him. Probably, her cell phone was running out of battery or… she could give him the answer later when she arrived.

Dragging his feet to the kitchen, his eyes wandered before it stopped on the refrigerator. He wondered if she had her dinner already and thinking if he could use some of his average skill on cooking. For a girl living alone, her refrigerator did not look that bad.

When his hand was about to reach the yogurt on the top shelf, the sound coming from the door caught his attention. Quickly, he closed the refrigerator and speed walk to the door to hear unfamiliar voices talking outside. That caught him on hold and he waited on the door, thinking if he should open the door or just waited there with an awkward smile.

But the male-sounded voice woke something in him.

Was Choi Jaehee bringing a guy home?

Dying of curiosity, he opened the door to a surprised look from a stranger and Jaehee who was slowly turning her head to meet his eyes. “Cha Hakyeon…” she called slowly and Hakyeon showed no interest to the man he just saw as he pulled her in towards him. His eyes fell on her wet white blouse. His instinct kicked in as he remembered the guy in front of them and quickly he pushed her behind him but the look from a little kid under him stopped him.

“Who is this guy…” the unknown man asked Jaehee. Hakyeon could hear her inhaling deeply behind her. He had no idea who the guy was and what was their relationship or his intention of coming here but it didn’t seem like that both of them had a good relationship. He could read it from the way the stranger asked.

And the little boy who was holding hands with her.

His eyes who were staring at him reminded him to the children utensils he came across in the kitchen a day ago.

Still hiding behind Hakyeon, her voice shook, showing how little confidence she had. “This is Cha Hakyeon. We’re…” she paused, trying to find the right word to represent to him and Hakyeon decided to cut her off.

“I’m Cha Hakyeon, it’s nice to meet you,” he spoke as he shoved his hand towards the man in front of him who has a hint of unconvinced look on his face. Accepting Hakyeon’s handshake, he forced a smile. “I’m Lee Hongbin. Lee Seojun’s father.”

Hakyeon pressed his lips together as he nodded. So the little boy who had gone into the house is his son, he could see the logic there but then he froze as Hongbin’s questioned his presence. “What are you doing here? Who are you to–”

“Didn’t you tell that you have to go there before eight? I think you’ll be late,” Jaehee took over and Hakyeon was shoved into the house with the little boy who was staring at him endlessly. He stared back, didn’t know how to react. From the look, he could tell that Seojun is not more than a two year old boy.

Time moved so slow, that he felt Jaehee was taking a long time handling the father. Good thing, Seojun didn’t cry and only stare at him. It brought a small smile on Hakyeon’s face, as he feeling little proud that even a little kid thought him interesting, that Seojun couldn’t take his eyes off.

“I’m sorry,” Jaehee’s voice interrupted their eye contact and Hakyeon’s eyes fell on her covered blouse. Realisation hit him as he got up to place the back of his hand on her forehead, earning a surprise look from her. “What are you doing?” a shy smile then appeared on her face as she pushed his hand away.

“You’re soaking wet, what are you thinking getting out in this state,” he watched as she crouched down to Seojun’s height. “Seojun-ah, have your daddy give you ‘ma-mam’?” she asked but Seojun decided to ignore her as he turned and crawled away. “Seojun-ah,” she called, pretended to be irritated but the corner of her lips pulled into a smile not long after, couldn’t handle the cuteness.

“Go wash and dry up, you’ll catch cold,” Hakyeon voiced out making Jaehee to turn her head towards his direction. “Can you help me look after Seojun while I clean? I promise I won’t take a long time,” she stood up as she hugged herself.

Her action worried him, “Don’t worry, I can do that. Didn’t you bring your umbrella out? You should have one with you all the time.”

His nag unexpectedly produced a grin on her face, “I don’t expect you to be a nagging style.”

He turned speechless all of sudden, shock to what he let his mouth did. It was as if his mouth had the mind of its own that he lost control of him. Was it because she was younger that he made an attitude? “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have,” he apologetically looked away but she refused to accept his apology.

“No, you didn’t do anything wrong. I was wrong. I shouldn’t left my umbrella at school. And I should have come home early but I didn’t,” she sighed. “And I let my cell phone dived into a puddle,” she laughed, confusing him. “Look Seojun for me, okay?” changing the topic quickly, she left the scene.

He nodded instantly and sent her to the bedroom with his eyes. Taking a seat on one of the couches, he glanced at Seojun who was trying to climb the couch not far from his seat. The face of Seojun’s father then flashed in his mind. Why did Jaehee and that Hongbin guy looked as if they were on a war state but then that guy still sent his son to her. Could it be because… Jaehee is the mother? But she is too young to be one.

But seeing from how small the little boy is, it wasn’t impossible for Jaehee to have him a year ago. She was around nineteen back then and that made Hongbin a douchebag. How could he let a girl that young to carry a nine month pregnancy and… Stop it Cha Hakyeon, he reminded himself because these entire stuff he thought were only assumption his mind created.

Seojun was already on the couch, and he was babbling his baby words making Hakyeon softened. “Seojun-ah,” he called and surprisingly Seojun turned to look at him, understood that his name was being called. “You want some yogurt?” Hakyeon asked while acted out eating action.

“Ma-mam,” Seojun babbled as he pointed the kitchen with his little cute finger making Hakyeon’s finger to curled, feeling almost exploded by the unexpected cuteness.

---

“He falls asleep, finally,” she whispered as she took a seat beside him on the couch.

“Is it always that hard?” he asked in a low voice, didn’t want to wake the little boy up even though they were separated by a wall. Sweet like honey he thought as he saw she pulled a soft smile and she batted her eyelashes gently, “Seojun sleeps quickly and get distracted easily. And if his sleep is disturbed, it’s hard for him to get back into bed. We don’t want to run into trouble.”

He nodded; actually finding the young girl in front of him quite impressive. “Let me do the lullaby once, we’ll see if he wants to sleep in my arms.”

“Do you want me to wake him up now?” she joked as she was about to get up but he quickly pull her back to the couch. “I don’t mean like that,” he panicked. He feared that he couldn’t prove his words. What if Seojun wouldn’t sleep, wouldn’t that burden her to do the job?

“I was joking,” she chuckled.

“You almost got me,” he chuckled along before he quickly signalled her to keep things down. “Seojun might hear us.” She nodded agreed.

“Right, have you eaten your dinner? I almost forgot about that, why didn’t you voice that out, I don’t want to be a bad wife,” she spoke as her eyes stared at him. Fortunately he ate a little before he came, to avoid her from doing a lot for him instead of the other way around. He wanted to do a lot for her, so that she wouldn’t regret spending her money on him.

“I ate, you don’t have to worry. I’m a big man, I know what to do to keep on living,” he smiled but it didn’t look genuine enough to convince her. “I’ll cook for you. I don’t mind,” she insisted.

“But I mind. You don’t have to cook for me in order to be a good wife. You’re a great wife already; you don’t have to worry about that.”

She froze as she the orbs of her eyes wavered. Both of their eyes met and she saw it once again. The meaningful looks…

She tried to read the meaning behind the look of his eyes. He always looked bothered. She wished she could wipe those concerns he had out of his eyes but she knew, just from him doing this job for a living, it was not that easy to erase those bothering thoughts and constant worries.

“Do you mind to stay watching Seojun together?” she questioned. Her eyes glisten sending a warm feeling to his chest. He didn’t know everything about this girl but he couldn’t say that he knew a little bit of her because he actually hadn’t learnt anything about her.

“I’ll help you,” he happily accepted her suggestion and that sweetness appeared on her face, he began to feel afraid. He was afraid that he might get addicted to it and begin to missing it.

In a day, his life already turned hundred eighty degree, he supposed to have a wife, a young mysterious wife and now, he even had a little boy in his life. The thought of asking her everything he saw was there but he had a little courage to be able to deliver that question to her.

Afraid that, he might hurt her feelings… cause he didn’t know her.

And he didn’t know if it was okay to get a little personal because with his previous employer, he stayed out from their personal life. And this was the first time he came across to a man who looked like a threat to him, and to his family. His protective mode instantly as soon as he saw how he questioning about his presence.

“Mind to tell me what’s on your mind?” she questioned as she tilted her head to the side. “You always look like you have a lot to talk about.”

“Do I?” he shook his head. “I always have that look. It’s not something you need to worry about.”

“What is it this time? It won’t be about me being too young again, is it?” she let out a few chuckles but she kept her chuckles under control.

“Yes?” he looked surprised before what happened during their dinner time yesterday passed through his head. He smiled, amazed.

“My mom had me when she was ‘too young’ as well,” she reminisces about her family past, emphasizing the ‘too young’ words since the words held a lot of definition to him. Where were they going with the conversation? He stopped her before she went too deep into her life, which he supposed to respect and shouldn’t dwell into.

“What are you doing, I’m still not anything important to you. Once the contract ends, we won’t see each other. You shouldn’t tell so much to a person like me.”

“I feel sorry for Seojun,” ignoring him, her lips turned pouty and he could see the tears b on the edge of her eyes. He didn’t know how to react as he watched her helplessly. “I don’t want to see him live like this, I’ve been living like that before and to be honest, it was not easy.”

“You’re doing well, it’s not your fault,” he spoke as he tried to process what she was trying to tell. What life she didn’t Seojun to go through? Did she mean this life where Seojun had to move to her father and then to her mother so that both could spend time individually with their child?

Hongbin looked young as well from his eyes, or it was just he had a baby-faced look making it hard for him to predict his true age. And from the way she told stories, it sounded as if they were once a married couple who had a rough separation, and the father had the custody over the child.

She is too young to pass through all these alone. His sympathetic feeling towards her increased and shot up to the ceiling instantly. He wished that he could do something so that she wouldn’t have to live like that before. But he couldn’t.

He saw it again that night, and he couldn’t believe it. She looked very fragile and helpless. She looked very hurt and he would lend her his shoulder if she wanted to. He would be his ears as well tonight and he could be the object for her to release her frustration and anger.

He didn’t care anymore.

He made up his mind. He wanted to protect this girl until his last breath, he promised.

~~~~~~~~

A/N: Is Lee Hongbin okay? I can't think of another male character outside of VIXX.