chapter 9 : Banfourian Elements

SOLO DAY

“So what does this do again?”

“It draws out a small, measured sample of blood.”

“Why is it shaped like a gun?”

“It’s easy to hold.”

All five boys, and Sunny, were now seated in the laboratory cabin. Dr Shim and his apprentices were giving each of them check-ups to make sure they were suitable for space travel and eventual stay on their planet. Gongchan was happily playing with Sunny on the floor in the middle of the cabin. Next to him was a pouting Sandeul who was a bit upset they pricked him. Jinyoung was swinging incessantly on a spinning stool while his sister kept hitting him to make him stop and sit properly.  

 

Baro has been asking non-stop questions about everything and anything he came across on the spacecraft. His current victim was a short, bespectacled girl with a short dolly bob and a full fringe. She was busy administrating Baro’s blood test while the boy continued to natter away.   

“We use needles and syringes.” Baro happily informed the girl, Jaerin, the practices of his home planet.

“And how many times do they have to poke you before they can successfully pierce the correct vein?” the girl asked monotonously.

“Depends.” Baro replied.

“And hence why we have laser detective instruments that work first time.” Jaerin said as she gives her ‘gun’ a little shake.

 

Baro nodded at the explanations and quietly digests the efficiency of the advanced device for a few seconds. But soon he started to ask more questions, to Jaerin’s annoyance.

“Are all your gadgets shaped like guns?”

Jaerin sighed as she patiently answered all of the boy’s curiosities.

 

On the other side of the room, an average height male apprentice with neatly fashioned wavy hair and strikingly similar features to Jaerin, was tending to Shinwoo’s blood sample taking.

“I don’t get it, if we breathe different air why are we all fine breathing the same air right now?” Shinwoo asked out of curiosity.

“We have injected oxygen into the cabin atmosphere so that you can breathe comfortably. Like how there are different elements in your atmosphere and you only breathe in the oxygen, the same principle applies here. You’re breathing in the oxygen while we’re breathing in the oxyfelin. There is oxygen in oxyfelin, hence the name, but we don’t know how the other elements will react in your system, as we have never had Earthling guests on our planet before. Hopefully after we’ve administered a couple of tests we should be able to find a healthy solution for you to breathe safely on our planet, Banfoura.” The male apprentice, Jaehyuk replied knowledgably.

 

“Then how did Jinyoung hyung survive on Earth all these years?” Sandeul chipped in.

The question seemed to stump Dr Shim, who was working with some chemicals to one side of the lab. He turned around to Jinyoung and asked, “Actually… how did you survive on Earth?”

Jinyoung looked blank for a few seconds before putting his hands up in a shrug, “You’re the scientist here.”  

Miyoung looked deadpanned at her brother, “Yeah give him a check-up too.”

 

Jaehyuk promptly walked over with his ‘gun’ as he finishes up labelling Shinwoo’s vial of blood.

“Please roll up your sleeves and put your arm up in front of you.” Jaehyuk instructed.

Jinyoung unwillingly put his arm out. After wiping the crease of his arm with some antiseptic solution, Jaehyuk placed the gun on Jinyoung’s arm and pulled the trigger.

“Ow!” He moaned at the sharp prick, joining Sandeul in the pouting parade. A small cylindrical vial resting on top of the gun filled up in a matter of seconds before it beeped to signal it has completed the job. With all five boys and Sunny’s blood in check, Jaerin moved to one side of the room to start testing the samples.

 

“Right, now we’re going to test how your body reacts when you breathe in some of the different elements found on our planet.” Miyoung explained. “If you would make your way over here and take a mask each.”

The four Earthling boys walked over to the Captain with Sunny following closely behind Gongchan.

“Captain what about the Earthling pet? As we can’t communicate with it, it’ll be hard to tell how he’ll react.” Jaehyuk queried.

“…That is a problem. I’m guessing since general life is sustained by oxygen on Earth, whatever applies to humans will apply to their pets?” Miyoung reasoned, turning to Dr Shim for confirmation.

“That is correct. Creatures of neighbouring planets have all shown to react in the same manner as the people of their respective planets.” Dr Shim explained.

 

“Great! That’s settled. Everyone take a mask. That means you too Mr Jung over there.” Miyoung gestured for Jinyoung to join his friends.

“I’m Banfourian! Why do I need to do it?” Jinyoung argued.

“Less talk, more walk.” Miyoung commanded.

Jinyoung obliged, however unwillingly, and turned to slump over to the four that were currently hooked onto masks. Each mask was connected to a tank shaped machine of sorts.

 

“There’s only a few to test. Here is the first one. Feloride.” Dr Shim announced as he pressed some buttons on a thin, transparent tablet in his hands.

Jaehyuk also held a tablet as he watched the test subjects intently to record their reactions. While Shinwoo, Gongchan and Jinyoung were breathing normally, Baro and Sandeul were either being too enthusiastic or too dramatic as they breathed deeply.

“Everything seems fine… o one minute.” Jaehyuk commentated, “Tears. That’s interesting.”

Surely enough tears were forming in the boys eyes, with the exception of Jinyoung who just looked bored. Most of the boys only looked like their eyes were simply watering due to some kind of irritation. Tears collected at the edges of their eyes before they slowly trickled down their cheeks, close to resembling a sad melodramatic scene in a drama. Sandeul on the other hand, took it a step further. He was sniffing, lips slightly trembling, similar to his state after the fiasco with Melissa.

 

Baro looked concerned as he patted Sandeul on the back. “Are you ok?”

“I’m fine… sniff… it’s just… starting thinking about… you know… sniff… I’m ok.” Sandeul stuttered slightly as he continued sniffing.  

“What is this? Tear gas or something?” Shinwoo asked as he reaches over to tell Sandeul to remove the mask and breathe in some oxygen to calm down.

“This is nothing compared to the tear gas on Earth. Man those things are deadly.” Jinyoung commented into the mask.

 

“You can remove the mask now while I prepare the next element.” Dr Shim instructed.

Two minutes later they placed the masks onto their faces again to test the next element.

“I think I’m gonna be sick.” Shinwoo said carefully. 3 seconds after his statement he dropped the mask and bolted over to the lab sink, throwing up the entire contents of the big breakfast and lunch he had that day.

“Me too.” Gongchan also ran over to join his vomiting friend. Soon Baro and Sandeul were running over too. Baro was quicker and just about fit into the little access that is left to the sink. Sandeul looked around frantically with a hand over his mouth, trying to find a container of sorts. Unfortunately the only available containers were small test tubes that lined the laboratory tables.

 

“In the sink, in the sink, IN THE SINK!” Dr Shim practically screamed at the boy but it was too late.

“Sorry Doc.” Sandeul apologised meekly after his guts were all cleanly displayed on the doctor’s pristine floor.

“Nevermind.” Dr Shim held the bridge of his nose weakly, “Jaehyuk clean it up.”

Jaehyuk looked anything but pleased at the order, “Yes Doctor.”

Jaerin brought the boys tissues and a glass of water each while Jaehyuk grudgingly put on some gloves to clean the vomit off the floor. After an hour’s break to wait for the boys’ stomachs to calm down again, they continued with the tests.

 

“Here’s the next one.”

“Hyung. Hyunggggg.” Gongchan started calling cutely as he turned around to cling onto Jinyoung’s arm. “You know I love you right?”

“Woahhh maknae. I know I’m attractive and all, but there’s no need to cling to me like that.” Jinyoung tried to remove his arm from Gongchan’s strong grip. The maknae resisted and stood up to fling himself onto his hyung’s lap. He threw his arms around Jinyoung’s neck and puckered up his lips in an attempt to kiss the elder. Alarmed, Jinyoung raised one hand to cover Gongchan’s mouth and the other to push the boy’s face away from his own.

“A little… help… please.” Jinyoung pleaded as he struggled with the overly affectionate maknae.

“I love you hyunnnnngggg! Why won’t you let me kiss you? Let Channie love youuuuu!”

 

“Hmm guests from Planet Exo had a similar reaction to that one too.” Dr Shim noted as he rememberd the party of 12 who started having a snogging contest under the influence of the gas. When they came through, they all looked at each other with disgust and had a cussing battle claiming who took advantage of whom.

 

Shinwoo came to the rescue as he pulled Gongchan off Jinyoung. To his dismay, Gongchan simply switched target and started puckering his lips towards him instead. Shinwoo held the boy at arm’s length as he waited for the gas to wear off.  Sunny looked confused as he his head to the side, watching the unusually sickening cute actions of his owner.

“Hyung let me go.” Gongchan said normally after a minute or two.

“Are you normal again?” Shinwoo questioned warily, his grip still strong.

“Yes.”

“You won’t kiss anyone if I let you go?”

“Yes.”

Shinwoo set the boy free and they both settle down on their seats again. Once seated, Gongchan turned around to Jinyoung with an evil grin and swoops in to land a big sloppy kiss on his hyung’s cheek.

“Ewwwwww!! Channie!!” Jinyoung shouted as he wiped his cheeks.

“Haha gotcha!” Gongchan called out in triumph.

 

“Okay okay, calm down boys. This is the last one.” Dr Shim announced with a suspiciously cheeky grin on his face.

The boys seemed fine at first but out of nowhere Sandeul started to chuckle. The chuckle slowly amounted into full blown laughter as tears streamed down his face due to excessive laughing.

“Remember… haha… that time.. when… hehehe…” Sandeul tries to say between bursts of laughter. “That granny at the super market….thought Jinyoung hyung was her husband back from the grave… and.. and.. she wouldn’t let go… and.. and hahahahaha!”

Gongchan and Baro burst out laughing at the memory and before long they were all rolling around on the floor, out of their minds. Shinwoo was staring at them in confusion.

“Yah that wasn’t funny!” Jinyoung defended.

“Then why are you laughing too?” Sandeul asked.

“I don’t know…hahaha… omg it’s hurts… make it stop… hahaha.” Jinyoung laughed on as he clutched his stomach in pain.

“What are you guys laughing at?” Shinwoo asked, his eyes drooping. “Oh my, I am sleepy.”

 

“Nitrous oxide… really?” Miyoung asked disapprovingly.

“What… it’s funny.” Dr Shim defended himself as he chuckled at the scene before him.

“Okay boys experiment’s over.” Miyoung clapped her hands to gain the boys’ attention. “Come on it’s been a long day. I’ll bring you to your sleeping quarters so you can get some rest.” 

None of the boys responded to her as they were too busy laughing and Shinwoo was close to knocking out.

"I guess I'm on baby sitting duties." The Captain sighs.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N

IT'S UP! Sorry it took so long guys. 

I've been writing this since Friday and I was having major writer's block.

Forgive me for the incorrect scientific terms, not a very sciency person. Most of it is made up anyways so just flow with it.

I've finally come up with a name for Jinyoung's planet!

It will be known as Banfoura and it's residents Banfourian. I was trying to get something cool out of BANA but it wasn't working all too well. It kinda just came to me when Jinyoung claimed he is______ and Ban4 popped into my head - hence BanFour XD

Thanks for reading!! =D 

Comments are <3 !!