Part 3

Love Persuasion

I requested a week of break with Jr. I was judged so hard by his parents, mostly his mother and I knew that wasn't the way to marry into a family if Jr and I decided to move forward. I confessed to my mother about my heartache and she cried along with me which made me feel worse. Because of my hardship, my mother had to bare it all with me. I could only wish to be as strong as her. My mother knew it was hard for me to restart my life if I was considering marriage. Honestly, I do want to give Glen a nice family and I do intend on making it happen, but at this moment I feared being belittled because of my unstable past. Why couldn't people just see me as a regular human being just with different problems from their own? It hurts and cuts deeply. When I begged Jr over the phone to not contact me for a week, I felt like an independent woman once again, but I knew for a fact that I didn't want to live like that forever. I want someone to lean on and assure me when I'm in my deepest doubt. Jr wasn;t fond of my decision obviously because he wasn't supportive of going on a break or whatever because to him, it was an immature move. I could see what he means by that, but I needed that break to think and recollect myself and what I want out of life and out of a man who I want to spend life with. Being stubborn, he refused to settle this over the phone and demanded for us to meet, but I couldn't face him. I had to calm him down with reassuring words that the break didn't mean I was leaving him............or possibly yet but I didn't tell him that part.

 

 

Through the break, I spent half my time making memories with Glen and my mother like the usual. I wanted to stray awa from being selfish and actually think of the two most important people to me at the very moment. After some time of crying and laying awake, I concluded what I felt was best for my family, me, Jr, and his parents.

 

I called him.

"I miss you. I thought you'd never call." It was obvious to my understanding that Jr was been just as dreadful as me or probably less. e sounded like he had been waiting my his cellphone just to catch my call. Plus, he didn't answer me with a hello.

"Hey." Hearing his voice after such a long time made me forget why I called. All I really wanted to do was hear him say something, anything.

"Grace? Are you not going to talk to me?"

"Jr, we need to meet. It's much easier that way."

"Okay, sure. Now? I'll be on my way."

There was urgency in his voice. "No, Jr. Not tonight. Can we just stay on the phone.......tonight? I just....I just want to hear you speak to me." I laid in bed, on my side as I close my eyes.

"Oh, alright. Sure."

"How was your week?" I began suggesting small talks.

"Terrible because I had no access to you or your life."

That struck a chord for me. Damn it.

I found myself whispering to him about random topics as he also softly responded and vice versa. Before we officially drifted into sleep, we agreed to meet tomorrow for lunch to discuss what we avoided mentioning for the night.


 

"Mom, Grace is coming over and we both are going to have a talk. If you don't approve of it, I suggest you step out of the house until she leaves." Jr calmy suggested.

"Whether I'm home or not, I do not want her to step inside my house."

Jr had told his mother that Grace was coming over so they both can talk things out, but his mother was against it.

"Mom, our house is open to everyone. You always raised me to think that way. Why are you so against it now?" His patience was running low as he tried to reason.

"I don't care son. I will stay in here and block my door in every way possible to prevent her from setting foot in this house."

Jr's chest was heaving. He was never one to argue and smash things around, but he was tempted to at this second. Though he was going to lash out, he isolated himself in his room and bit his tongue from yelling his heart out.

 

The doorbell rang and Jr heard it from his bedroom. He regretted not staying in the living room to wait for his guest's arrival because as he reaches the hallway, he heard his mother answer the door. Once he heard his mother greet Grace in an impolite manner, he stopped in his steps to see what more his mother was going to do. Somehow, he couldn't find the urge to show his face to either of them.

 

"I see you're back again. This time, is it for my son or my son's money?"

Grace swallowed at the unexpected meet. "U-uh...hello Mrs. Park." She bowed in a 90 degree angle still managing to squeeze in some respect.

"My son's not around so you don't need to put on a nice show." She blocked the doorway.

Grace was so taken aback at all the strikes. "Well, since Jr's not around, I guess you'll be the first person I tell."

Mrs. Park's eyebrows arched with wonder.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Park that I somehow dragged your son into my life. I should've been more careful with who I was engaging with. Jinyoung is a great person and I hope you don't give him such a hard time all because of me. He doesn't deserve it. If you are in any way upset, you have the right to be upset with me. I should've known better and stayed away from a good man like your son because he deserves a woman, fresh out of the sea and ready to start a real life with him. I'm just thrown out garbage that has no benefit. I know that and I will surely be grateful to accept your hate. Because I know the imprtance of name and status, I will no longer take part in your son's life for t is disrespectful of me to do so with both his parents' consent. It's unfortunate that Jinyoung isn't here to hear all this, but please pass it to him. Please tell him to no longer contact me and find me. I've come to accept that we both are very different and compatability is far from us. Thank you for helping me realize this, Mrs. Park. Have a good evening."

Grace's heart raced like no other. She was scared, nervous, broken, and ashamed. What she just did was going to break every bit of her.

 

Jr's eyes filled with tears hearing this all from the wall that seperated them. He was going to act now after knowing her reason to meet him. He ran to the doorway, completely forgetting that his mother was standing close by.

"Grace! Grace!" He pushed her back and blocked her from escaping the entry. "What was all that about?!" The man's eyes were a mixture of pink and red, his nose too.

"Jr." Grace whispered his name, shocked that he was around and heard it all.

"Grace, tell me you don't mean all of what you said. Please." His voice was shaking and so was his built figure.

I shook my head, "I'm sorry, Jr. I am, but we can't happen the way we imagined. It was just an imagination."

He looked deep into her sockets and returned his gaze to his mother who was witnessing the scene.

"Mom, I can't believe you! How dare you treat someone so precious to me like dirt! I ha-" Hate was going to be the next word out of his mouth, but Grace stepped in.

"Jinyoung, don't you dare use that word on your mother." She sternly ordered. "Don't let your emotions take over your attitude."

Mrs. Park couldn't believe her own son was so rebellioius all of a sudden, but even more, she couldn't believe how this young lady had the audacity to tame her son. It was.......jaw-dropping.

"But Grace, my mother hasn't been treating you the way you need to be!"

"She hasn't been treating me the way  I need to be or the way you want me to be?" I returned his question. "Jinyoung, I understand every reason why your mother would treat me that way. I mean, I'm so not worthy for you. I understand this because I am a mother. I wouldn't want my son to oneday fool around with a girl who I see not suitable for him. It's all because I want the best for him, but who am I kidding, we would always think of our own as the best. It's normal. As a mother myself, I can relate to your mother. Never leave your mother's side or misunderstand her reasons because you strongly have your own. Don't ever let a girl bring danger to your bond. Jinyoung, you deserve much better than this."

 

Everything was quiet. Not a sound was made after Grace's finishing line. The mother and son were left so astonished.