Part 2

Love Persuasion

Jr was finally going to have Grace over for dinner with his parents. He knew how important this introduction was and he really prayed nothing would screw it up. As the only child and a son, he knew his parents expected a lot from him in every aspect. This was only going to be the second girl he had over, but this time, Grace seem to be the 'it' girl. Knowing his parents expectations, he had mentioned to her to dress up elegantly and presentable. He too, was dressed well in black slacks with a sea-blue dress shirt. His hair was waved up with gel as he nervously wait for Grace to show up. Mr. and Mrs. Park were already seated at the dinner table and just in time, Grace rings the doorbell and Jr attends to it. She came through the door with a simple black, laced dress that ended right above her knees. The laced sleeves stopped right at her elbow joints and her hair was pinned in a low bun with some loose, curled strands framing her face. Her made up was minimal, mostly natural. Inwardly, Jr couldn't help but admire her. His parents stood up at her presence and they all exchange respectful bows.

 

"Mom, dad, this is Grace Lee. She's the one I've been speaking of." With that, he pulled out her chair for her.

"Nice to meet you both, Mr. and Mrs. Park," Grace expressed.

 


 

Dinner went smoothly and we chatted thoroughly. It was as if I was getting interviewed for a job because Jr's parents asked about my schooling and parents. They seemed impressed that I'm through with university and working. I mentioned that my mother raised me alone due to my father's early death. They were stern-looking and somewhat intimidating, but I managed to find myself feeling a bit comfortable since Jr was there. I could see he was also a nervous wreck.

 

"So Grace, what do you think of my son? Will you care for my only child?"

Mrs. Park was so straight-forward with her words, but I trust she only means well. "Jr is wonderful to me. You both have raised a good son. I will do my best to support him in everything."

For the longest time, Mr. Park actually said something. "Jr? That's what you call my son?"

I suddenly realized that probably it was disrespectful to call Jinyoung by his nickname in front of his parents, "I'm sorry, I mean Jinyoung."

With is parents sitting right across from us, I could see his mother lift up her gaze and sip her wine. Mr. Park only cleared his throat. From underneath the table, I could feel Jr comfort me in the awkwardness by patting my knee. I looked down to my food and picked at it to avoid the stupidity I sunk into.

"You don't seem too different from the first girl my Jinyoung brought home 3 years ago."

I could hear Jr choke at his mother's words. "Umma..."

"I'm just being honest. Grace seems like a great girl, but who knows, she could be fooling with you son."

I gave Jr a soft smile, indicating that it was fine for her to say that. Truthfuly, it did hurt that I was already judged at the fact that I was trying so hard to be the kindest person because I wanted to be accepted. I could hear Jr heave this time as I pat his knee like how he did to me. Afterall, it was his mother he was talking to and I didn't want him to react in a way he'd regret. His father then jumps into the conversation taking his wife's side, but in a much more polite way.

"Son, your mother only wants the best for you and you know that. As the only son, we are going to be quite picky with the woman we want by your side."

It was sweet to hear those words although they did hurt me, but I knew that those words only meant that they cared and treasured their son very much. It made me miss my father because I would love to hear him nag at me for choosing the right man who'll love me unconditionally like how he loved my mother. Then, it made me think of Glen and how much I love him and how one day when he faces the situation of chasing after the woman of his heart, part of me with break to see him grow up so fast. For the experience of being a mother, I understood why him parents judged me so hard. For an only child, it was expected for them to be protective.

 

After some time of talks and silence, dessert came. It was macaroon ice cream which was tasty and delicious. Somehow the sweetness drowned out the sour atmosphere.

"So, what is your goal now that you're already working? What else are you looking forward to? Any traveling?"

"Traveling will have to wait a while. "I honestly and bluntly answered, "As of now, I want to be able to provide for Glen as much as I can and prepare him for kindergarten."

I look up to find Mr. and Mrs. Park look at each other questioningly. I see Jr and in his eyes, I could see he was motioning me to change the subject. It then clicked that I've suddenly mentioned my son. I wasn't ashamed, but I knew it caused them to wonder because I randomly brought him into the picture without officially introducing Glen as my son.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry-"

"Who's Glen? Your little brother? You two have quite the ." Again, my situation was assumed by Jr's mother.

It was too late to change topic now since she caught on. I had nothing, but to answer her now.

"Umma, maybe that should wait until next time. There were a lot of questions for Grace tonight."

I up with courage and gave Jr a nod that I will proceed with my answer. I knew that he simply wanted me to stop there, but I didn''t comply. Plus, it can't be that bad to tell them who Glen was to me, right?

 

"No, I'm also the only child. Glen is my son."

"Your son?!" Mrs. Park gasped with disgust.

Mr. Park gathered himself together and asked, "So, you've been married once already?"

This was where it was all going to get bad. It was my first meet and I could feel I've already caused them to lose trust in me because of my past. "No, I was never married." That was all I managed to say because I was afraid that if I said more, I would only create an even more bad image for me. Maybe this was why I stopped seeking for love after Glen's birth. I was too afraid to face judgement from others. I could see that my reply confirmed the Parks that I was used trash.

 

"So, your son...how old is he?" Mr. Park asks again

"He's about to turn 5."

After some silence, Mrs. Park got up from her seat and excused herself for the night. She looked flustered and stressed. She didn't look fond of me one bit since the beginning of dinner and now, I'm more than sure that she hates me and already wants her son to get rid of me.

"Son, please her back home." That was all she said and I could feel my heart break.

 

On the walk outside to my car, Jr only apologized, saying that his parents were always tough and for me to get use to it. He assured me that they'll get use to me slowly. His father seemed more to himself with his judgements of me, but his mother already kicked me out right off the back. Because of that, I worried for or relationship, but I trusted his assurance that maybe things will get better in time.

 


As Jr goes back inside, he meets his parents in the living room. It was as if they were waiting for him to have a talk.

"Son, I thought I raised you better." His father expressed his dissappointment first. "Why would you go after a woman like her?"

"Appa, she's changed. Her past is what shaped her into the woman she is today. I believe and know she's a good person."

"You're just lost in love that's why you're saying that. Son, you are my only child and I don't want you to take part in that woman's life." This time his mother shared her thought.

"Umma...you should give Grace a chance. She's different from the way you both think of her."

Mr. Park stood his ground. "Son, don't argue. If your mother and I say no, then listen."

 

 

Jr didn't know what went so wrong. In Grace, he saw someone loving and her motherly figure towards Glen was a bonus. She had a heart and he just didn't understand why his parents didn't see that.

 

 

Author's Note: ..........And so the problem arises! Enjoy and leave your thoughts! <3