Pace One

Undeniable

A very late, and also short update.

I'm so sorry :<

 

 

 

I swept my eyes around the canteen, looking for Sooyoung. I had to delay my lunch time a bit because sadly I got a bad score at Math test last week, and my teacher had to give me some lectures about studying properly. The thing is; it was my first time getting a bad score. Who likes trigonometry anyways?

There Sooyoung was. I recognized her features even from afar. She was talking with a guy from next class. Who’s his name again? I forgot. I shook the thought away and quickened my pace. He had left Sooyoung alone.

Sooyoung landed her gaze at my direction, and I gave her a small wave. I was too focused on her and didn’t pay attention to things around me, until something tripped my feet. My eyes got widen as I panicked looking for anything to hold. I obliviously grabbed someone’s forearm, completely ignoring my meal. It fell to the floor. Everything happened just too fast.

I needed two seconds to realize my awkward condition.

I quickly tried to stand up properly and let go of my saver’s forearm. “I-I’m so sorry,” I managed to say. I shyly bowed and when I looked up, it was Kai who was standing there. Kai, Kim Jongin, my crush since my first year of high school, helped me.

“Are you okay?” He asked me softly with a worried face. I gulped; trying to pull back all of the pinkish colour that threatening to appear on my cheeks.

“Y-yes. Thank you.”

“Be careful next time.” Kai said before he made his way out from the canteen. I blinked.

Oh, yeah, I still had a problem to solve.

I turned around to see what was tripping my feet, or who to be exact, because what I saw was Sehun and Soojung sitting together. The girl couldn't hold her laughter any longer while Sehun showed me his teasing smirk. I let out a deep sigh. Maybe I’ll slap them right on the face even though they are my seniors if it was other days, but I was in good mood because of Kai, so I just rolled my eyes and walked way.

They looked disappointed. I smiled in victory.

Jung Soojung is Sehun’s classmate. She is very popular among students. They say she has this outstanding pretty face, but all I know is she looked like an annoying queen at those bullying movies. She is in school’s dance club with me.

These days the students talked about both of them, speculating on what kind of relationships they have because they were seen together almost every time, but I don’t care.

I sat in front of Sooyoung with a smile, while she had this wrinkles on her forehead.

“Hey, are you okay?” She asked.

I nodded, my smile got a bit wider, “Positive.”

“You should think about some revenge to Sehun.” Sooyoung lowered her tone. I shrugged and smiled. She clicked her tongue. “Tsk. I know, I know. Maybe this means something for you and Kai Sunbae.”

“I hope so.” I grinned.

Sooyoung knows I have a crush on him. How couldn’t I? He’s cool and handsome especially when he’s smiling. He’s basketball captain. Oh-adults often ask me to watch basketball match with them because Sehun is in the basketball team, but all my attention actually landed on Kai.

 

 

---

 

 

“So guys, we're having a new project.” Son Naeun, captain of dance club, announced. All of dance club members were sitting in big circle in our school’s dance room. “There will be a basketball competition. Every school should send basketball teams along with cheerleader team. But, since our school doesn't have one, we're chosen to replace the cheerleader team.”

I—who was playing with the hem of my short pants looked up and made an eye-contact with Sooyoung, excited.

“We have to learn some basics of cheerleader, like formation and such, and I found it quite hard for us to learn in one month span. So, we'll be focusing in dance because that’s what we do best, right?” She smiled. “I've made a concept. Firstly, who joined cheerleader team in junior high school?”

Naeun swept her eyes around the dance practice room. Soojung, Sooyoung, and some girls raised their hands. I wasn’t the active type of student back then.

“Okay then, let's get started. We'll go to the gymnasium!”

 

 

---

 

 

I wiped the bids of sweat on my forehead as I sat down on the ground with leg stretched out. Finally, after some sit ups, pushups and basic moves in cheerleading; all of the members could take 20 minutes break. I was about to stand up when Soojung suddenly tripped over my feet on purpose.

“Ouch! Watch your feet!” She shouted. All of the people in the practice room threw a glance at us. What an attention-seeker. I mentally rolled my eyes, while outside I put my most innocent face ever.

“I’m sorry, but Sunbae can’t even watch your own feet.” I said as I stood up, bowing my head a bit before made my way out to the school’s canteen. I had to go alone, because Sooyoung went home earlier. She had English course to attend.

I looked around the almost empty canteen, searching for something fresh and tasty. Most of students had gone home. Maybe that’s why not many foods left. They were preparing to close the canteen. I puffed my cheeks and opened the fridge, scanning drinks I might like. My eyes spotted an orange juice. Just when I was about to take the bottle, someone’s hand grabbed the bottle first.

“Oh, you!”

My heart started beating quicker than usual as I recognized the owner of the deep voice. I gulped down my nervousness by bowing slightly and show Kai my smile.

“You take it.” Kai waved the bottle in front of me and put it in my palm.

“Ah, no. Sunbae take it. I’ll buy strawberry milk instead.” I said as I hand him back the bottle. He smiled, and oh my God, I was trying so hard to not look stupid in front of him.

“Thanks.” He passed by me. I took a bottle of strawberry milk and then following him to the cashier.

“So, I guess your name is?” Kai asked. Goodness, this is my official introduction.

“Hayoung. Oh Hayoung.”

“Are you Sehun’s sister?” He asked as he paid for his drink. I tilted my head slowly.

“No... Do we look like siblings?” I shivered in thought that I actually looked like Sehun.

“Oh, no, just... You have a same surname. And I see you go home with him every day.” Kai said before took a step, gave me room to pay. I was going to pay my drink but the cashier said that Kai already pay it. How fool I am so I couldn’t realize that.

“You don’t have to pay mine.” I said.

“Well, as a thank you? Please?”

My eyebrows rose a bit, “I think I’m the one who should thank you.”

“It’s not a problem.” Kai said with a smile. I nodded while mentally smiling. We walked out from the canteen together. Basketball field is placed behind the gymnasium, so he was kind of walk me there.

“So?”

“So...? Oh. Our parents are best friend.” I know what I said couldn’t explain everything but Kai seemed understand because he nodded his head.

“Anyway, you’re in dance club right? When did you start dancing?” Kai asked.

“Um,” I looked up, trying to dig up my memory, but I couldn’t find the exact time I started dancing, “since I realized I don’t have any other talent, maybe.”

I grinned, and Kai chuckled as the response. God, he looked so attractive.

“You’re cute.” He blurted.

Um, what? He called me what?

“What?” I asked him, just to check whether my ears fooled me or not.

“I said you’re cute.”

I bit my lower lips, trying to hide my smile and my blushing face. Fortunately, we arrived at the gymnasium to save me from being a blushed wreck.

“Thanks.” I smiled softly at him.

“I’m Kai, anyway. In case you don’t know.” He smiled again. “See you.”

I could only nod. See you? Does that mean he wants to meet me again?

God, Park Sooyoung, why should you go to English course?