Loving him was red.

Red

Kyungsoo met Jongin while running. Running from his problems, from his pain. His father was a drunk and his mother was greedy for money. His old boyfriend had just tried to steal his millions from him and all his "friends" turned their backs from him. Yes Kyungsoo felt the most alone in the world right then and there. When his parents did nothing to comfort him and the people he trusted the most faded away.

Kyungsoo was running and he crashed right into Jongin. Probably the best thing he had ever done. The boy was so gentle with him. Picking up his broken pieces and putting him together again.

They started off as friends. Jongin was sweet and funny and a really cute kid. He was smart. Just finishing college two years early and having a successful job to pull it off. Jongin was friendly but shy. Kyungsoo was shy too but not Jongin shy. Jongin's shy was the awkward type where he didn't know what to do with his hands when they went out together. Where he couldn't look Kyungsoo in the eye whenever the elder would smile at him or when he embarrassed himself.  Where he couldn't get his words out and usually spat a bunch of nonsense that had Kyungsoo laughing for days.

Jongin was bright. From his smile when he did something he liked of when he laughed to his heart when he danced so passionately during his free time. His heart shined the brightest when Jongin closed his eyes and just let his body move. Let his soul do the talking.

Kyungsoo was afraid really during their whole friendship. He was afraid that Jongin would leave him like the rest of them did. Like everyone did. He had gotten so used to himself while running he didn't know how to stop and let someone in. Jongin changed his mind right quick with a simple promise. A oath of some sorts. 

"I Kim Jongin promise to protect Kyungsoo from the shadows that seemed to have followed him in the light. Promise to keep him warm when he feels the cold. Promise to shelter him when he has no where to go. I Kim Jongin promise to never leave Do Kyungsoo ever. Because someone like him needs to be showered with affection of others. And since no one else has come to step up and take that place I guess it is I who should fill the holes in your heart."

Kyungsoo wondered if the feeling that came from those words were love.

After that he slowly let himself become someone better then who he was. Jongin taught him how to walk again. To let go of his path that so painfully scarred him and be free. He doesn't know when their friendship slurred off into something more but he can guess it was when Kyungsoo had his first panic attack.

It was in the middle of the night when Kyungsoo woke up feeling like he couldn't breathe. His chest was being crushed with guilt and he could see their laughing faces and pointed fingers. He could hear his mothers harsh words and remember the ignored phone calls and texts. He could see his ex face as he tried to run off into the night. Bags full of money.

He did the only thing he could think off and called Jongin. The younger answered the phone tiredly but at the sound of Kyungsoo's breathless voice he quickly speed to his house.

Jongin was there in seconds and Kyungsoo was glad he gave the younger a key because he was started to loose himself.

"Kyungsoo !  Kyungsoo open your eyes." Jongin called quickly moving towards the older and pulled him into his arms. "Kyungsoo breathe. Come on. Breathe with me." 

Kyungsoo could barely hear Jongin over the taunting in his head.

"In out Kyungsoo in out. Let my heart beat guide you. Listen to it and follow the rhythm. In out. In out."

Kyungsoo's eyes opened as he tried to focus on Jongin. Focus on the voice. Focus on the chest moving up and down slowly. Focus on the sound of his heart beat.

"That's it Kyungsoo you're doing good." Jongin coaxed rubbing his hand gently through Kyungsoo's hair and he guided the smaller. "In out. In out."

"In." Kyungsoo inhaled. "Out." He exhaled.

"Good job Kyungsoo. You're fine. I'm here. Jongin's here."

After an eternity Kyungsoo finally opened his eyes back up.

"Jongin." He whispered.

"Yeah baby ?" 

Such sweet words Kyungsoo flushed.

"D-don't leave me. Please d-don't-"

"Shhh Soo shhh." Jongin coaxed him again to keep him from panicking again. "I'm not going anywhere." He said.

"Stay with me ?" Kyungsoo asked. His shaky hands clutched Jongin's bigger one, the one that wasn't in his hair.

"Forever." Jongin whispered.

Maybe Kyungsoo was wrong. Maybe that wasn't when their friendship took a turn but he knew in that moment, with Jongin's arms around him and their heart beats matching he couldn't help but think 'Ah yes. This is love.'

"Jongin." Kyungsoo whispered moments later.

"Yes ?" The younger answered.

"Love me forever ?" 

Jongin chuckled.

"I'll love you red."