Will You Be There For My Birthday?

I Owe You An Open Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I left all the movies on your doorstep. Have fun with Jiyong,” she said suggestively.

 

Seunghyun didn't know what to make of the sentence. It seemed as though Katrina wasn't going to join them, but why did that make Seunghyun nervous all of a sudden? Perhaps the events that followed Youngbae's party were still confusing Seunghyun. Being avoided by Jiyong wasn't solving anything either. To avoid thinking about it, Seunghyun went upstairs to take a shower.

Seunghyun didn't know how to occupy himself for three hours. He ended up changing outfits and restyling his hair until he was satisfied with himself. All his clothes were thrown around the room and soon he found himself standing in he middle of a mess. Finally, he decided to go with a onesie. His hair wasn't styled at all. He concluded that he shouldn't look like he tried too hard as that might give the wrong impression. Besides, it would be strange to dress up for your house mate when no one else is around.

Gaho's excessive barking signalled Jiyong's arrival and Seunghyun quickly stuffed all the messy clothes in the wardrobe without folding them. Jiyong walked up to the front door and noticed a big open box in front of it. He looked inside and raised his eyebrows at the number of dvds neatly arranged inside. He leaned over the box and tried to unlock the door in an awkward position, meeting Seunghyun's gaze as soon as he opened the door. He lost balance for a brief moment and then picked up the box in front of him.

“Hey,” he greeted and looked at Seunghyun. Although he found the other man's attire quite amusing, he didn't say anything. “What's with this box? Are these Katrina's?”

“Yeah, she left them here and called me later. She told me she wasn't coming.”

“Did she say why?”

“No, she just told me to have fun and hung up. When I tried calling her again, her phone was off.” Seunghyun looked at Jiyong for a reply, but the other man looked away instead.

“I guess she just skipped out on it... It's just you and me now,” said Jiyong. The younger man walked past Seunghyun with the box and walked upstairs after kicking his shoes off. “I'm leaving this in the TV room.” By 'TV room' Jiyong meant the room on the second floor with the gigantic TV and various comfortable pieces of furniture. Seunghyun only saw it once as he rarely went to the second floor.

“Do you need any help?”

“No, I'm okay,” Jiyong answered, “I'll come downstairs after a quick shower.”

It was awkward after Jiyong flew past Seunghyun without a word, leaving the guest not knowing what to do. Seunghyun sighed and walked back to the kitchen. It somehow felt as though he belonged there after Mrs. Siddiqui left him in charge of feeding the rest of the family. Seunghyun even started making a list of things he needed to get the next time he went shopping for groceries. He looked inside the fridge in attempt to learn what was inside, when it expired, how he should use it and when he should eat it. Next, he looked through all the cabinets and drawers, revising everything carefully. After injecting random information in his brain, Seunghyun felt the desire to do something productive so he started making tuna sandwiches.

 

“What are you doing?” Jiyong asked curiously. He stood in the doorway in his long sleeved shirt and shorts – black on black. Seunghyun carefully cut the last sandwich in to two triangles.

“You haven't eaten, have you?” Seunghyun didn't look at Jiyong as he was fully focused on arranging the sandwiches in a perfect tower.

“Well... I didn't... but you didn't have to...” Jiyong was somewhat puzzled over the guest's behaviour. He sat down on a chair with his back to the breakfast table and watched Seunghyun's every move with interest. From the back, the guest looked like an overgrown baby in his onesie. At the same time, Jiyong eyed the shape of his body. He could clearly see that Seunghyun wasn't wearing anything but underwear under the onesie, which led to some not-so-innocent thoughts Jiyong immediately erased from his head.

Finally, Seunghyun turned around with a smile and a serving plate of tuna sandwiches in his hand. He looked at Jiyong straight in the eye, which was rare. Naturally, Jiyong smiled back and looked away in slight embarrassment.

Seunghyun put the plate down and sang, “ta-da!”

“What the hell?” Jiyong giggled. “You're... you're too much.”

“What? You don't like tuna sandwiches?”

“No...” Jiyong looked around. “Let's eat this together. I can't finish all of this on my own.” Seunghyun nodded and grabbed a chair with one hand and a sandwich with the other.

“Your quick shower was really long.”

“I guess I got carried away.”

“You didn't even wash your hair, it's dry.” Both of them fell silent as they ate. Seunghyun looked a the table and chewed slowly.

“Seunghyun?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks for the sandwiches.”

“You're welcome,” Seunghyun replied with a warm smile.

 

Seunghyun and Jiyong looked through the films in the box to find something good. The two men had a completely different approach to picking good films. Whilst Jiyong judged the covers within seconds, Seunghyun read the title, blurb and cast thoughtfully.  A king sized bed with romantic curtains was placed against a wall and the TV was on the side of it. Jiyong stretched across the bed, laying on his stomach and Seunghyun sat on a cushion on the floor next to him. Both of them faced the TV.

“They're all either romance or horror,” Jiyong remarked. Seunghyun looked up and saw that Jiyong had placed all the films in four different piles in front of them.

“How are you arranging them?”

“Romance with hot guys, romance with ugly guys and the same with horror,” said Jiyong, pointing at each pile. Seunghyun didn't know what to say. The DVD in the guest's hand caught Jiyong's eye.

“That's a Korean film, isn't it?” Jiyong commented. Seunghyun looked at the case in his hand and read the name 'T.O.P.' in the bottom right corner. “Is it a good film? I don't know any Korean movies.” Seunghyun automatically threw the film to a far corner. Jiyong looked at the man in shock.

“That was the worst film I've ever watched in my entire life. It's two hours of bull, trust me, you don't want to watch it.”

“Okay... Well we've got loads of other films to choose from.”

“Is there a specific film you want to watch?”

“I haven't seen Evil Dead,” he answered with a hint of excitement, “do you want to watch it?” Jiyong handed the DVD to Seunghyun.

“Sure... If you want.”

 

The two men gradually loosened up as the film continued. Seunghyun found out that Jiyong was just as scared as he was excited to watch a horror film. Near the end of the film, the two were no longer scared, but waiting for the film to end instead. When the horror went slightly overboard, Jiyong bursted out laughing and Seunghyun had to pause the movie to let him do it.

“What's so funny?” Seunghyun asked whilst smiling.

“Did you see her face?!” Jiyong continued to laugh.

When the film ended, Jiyong turned away from the screen and sighed.

“The ending was a bit...” Seunghyun commented.

“That David guy was hot though, why did they have to kill him off?” Jiyong sat up and ran his hand through his hair and Seunghyun got up to turn the lights on.

“He died for his sister,” Seunghyun pointed out.

Jiyong continued to criticise the film and how “it got a bit retarded at some points.”

“Like that part when you screamed?” The lights and Jiyong looked at Seunghyun standing by the door.

“Sit down, we have to pick another film.” Jiyong was good at ordering Seunghyun to do things. The guest was the one who set up the film as well. 

“Let's watch the grudge.” Seunghyun's suggestion made Jiyong's eyes widen. The older man sat down on the bed with his feet on the ground, picking up the said film from the ground.

“Another horror film?” It came out like a cry.

“You were the one who wanted to watch Evil Dead.” Seunghyun looked at Jiyong in the eye, and the younger man would look away immediately. “Are you scared?”

“No.”

“I'll sit with you if you want.” Seunghyun sang the words softly to tease the other man.

“Ugh.” Jiyong laid down again, but when he slid his legs back his shorts came up to reveal his tan lines (only a few centimetres below his ). Moreover, his legs were probably smoother than a baby's bottom. The other man found himself in a confused state at times like this. Seunghyun took a deep breath as he averted his eyes. Jiyong looked up and sighed. “Fine. We'll watch the grudge, but you have to make the pop corn and I'll change the disk.”

“Okay, sure,” Seunghyun got up quickly, “I'll be back in a few minutes.”

 

With a big bowl of popcorn between them, Seunghyun and Jiyong laid side by side on the bed. The movie finally started and Jiyong started giggling.

“Why are you laughing?” Seunghyun looked at Jiyong and furrowed his eyebrows. He looked back at the screen and noticed that the film they were watching wasn't the grudge, but something else. “What film is this?”

“The Notebook.”

“Is this why you wanted to change the disk?”

“Of course.”

“I can just-” Seunghyun jumped slightly when he felt Jiyong's hand on his.

“We're watching The Notebook,” Jiyong repeated, full of excitement.

They did not talk through the film like they did for Evil Dead. Seunghyun would occasionally turn his head to watch Jiyong stuff his mouth with popcorn whilst staring at the screen with his eyes wide open. Watching him was more entertaining than the film. The guest found himself quietly giggling to himself at Jiyong's reactions.

“What's so funny?” Jiyong turned to look at Seunghyun. Jiyong the salt on his buttery lips, looking at the other man with curiosity. The sight of him made Seunghyun stop breathing as something twisted inside his abdomen. The older man gulped and turned back to the screen where a bed scene with Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams' characters took place. He blushed and lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter