The Awkward Artist

Depression, School, and Awkward Boys

Depression, School, and Awkward Guys - Chapter Two: The Awkward Artist

Chanyeol was a very weird guy. From his looks and his personality to the way he acts. He was always the odd ball of every group, never really standing out, but not exactly blending in with everyone. But, he never really cared about standing out or even blending in, he was just happy with being himself. 

 


Chnyeol felt that it was only his responsibility to be the way he is. He does not need anyone else's opinion being thrown out at him, making him doubt himself. He only needed his own approval to be himself, and damn right he had that! 

 

He was a very strange guy, to say the least. He had curly dirty blonde hair that could NEVER be straightened, no matter what you used. His eyes were a light shade of brown, that, sometimes, would change to different shades of brown, depending on the colors around him or the colors of the clothes he wore. He had long eyelashes, but they were a blonde-ish color, therefore they blend in with his skin, and if someone wanted to see them, they'd have to look closely. Speaking of skin, he was a fair skin tone, maybe a little darker than fair, but pretty close to it. His jawline was structured, but didn't make him look too manly, all it really did was make him look like a child. A very tall child. He had pretty average lips that were a dull pink color. His nose was small and flat, but stuck out, somewhat, at the end, giving him the look of an anime character.

 

Chanyeol was very tall, reaching a height of about six feet and one half inch tall, which was considered tall at this boarding school. The only people taller than him were Zelo, who is six feet and one inch tall, JunQ, who is six feet and two inch tall, and Kris, who is six feet and three and three quarter inches tall. So, normally, he's easily spotted in large crowds.

 

Currently, Chanyeol was making his way through the crowded hallways to reach his favorite spot; the shaded corner of the roof. He would always go up there during his lunch break and free period, or any free time he would get, really. See, Chanyeol loved art. The smoothe lines crossing the blank page, crisscrossing, and leaving strings that became lighter and dulled by each movement, all coming together to form a single brilliant piece of work. Just the thought of this amazed him.

 

Chanyeol's dream was to become a professional artist able to create whatever image his mind desired and maybe even other's dreams. But to him, artwork comes from the heart. Art is something for HIM to enjoy. If someone else doesn't like it, so what? It's not his problem. It's HIS artwork, not their's! Besides, who gives them the right to judge him? Everyone's mind works differently. Therefore, everyone's art is truly amazing all in itself.

 

That is just one of the many reasons as to why Chanyeol preferred to draw in private. Away from all the watchful students and teachers that would scoff, mock him, and tell him what was wrong with his drawings. Pfft! Who needs them? It's not like they're contribution is really going to help, right?

 

Chanyeol started to ascend the long and narrow staircase leading up to the rooftop. The climb took about three minutes, then he was standing face to face with heavy steel door that would open up to the quiet and calm world that Chanyeol came to love.

 

Pushing the dense metal open, he happily stepped onto the tiled floor. His mind was set on his, not so secret, secret hideaway. Rounding the corner, Chanyeol's smile disappeared. There was someone else there. Someone else. Was in. His. Spot. HIS and only HIS means of escape from this retched place.

 

Chanyeol, being Chanyeol, couldn't bring himself to yell, although his inner voice was screaming at him to tell the stranger off. But he just couldn't do it. It would be the wrong and impolite thing to do.

 


Reaching out to shake the other student awake, Chanyeol paused. He didn't know why, but...he just couldn't wake him up. Looking closer at him, he realized that this boy was beautiful. He knew that using that type of adjective for a male was not grammatically correct, but the sleeping person really was beautiful!

 

After a few minutes of arguing with himself, Chanyeol decided to just let him sleep. But he wouldn't just move on without getting something out of it himself. He may be a nice person, but everyone wanted to get something out of every single situation they are a part of. Since there is something that Chanyeol could get out of this, he was going to take it.

 

He quickly sat down about five feet away from the other student and pulled out all of his drawing materials. He leaned back slightly to get a better view of the person he was about to start sketching. This was going to be tough, but Chanyeol has always liked a good challenge.

 

'This is going to be good practice! I've barely ever even thought about drawing a real life model! I usually just randomly came up with someone, mainly modeling them after book characters...' Chanyeol thought to himself.

 

The sketch pencil danced across the paper in rushed lines and slightly imperfect circles to form the base. The sun provided the perfect light for drawing, not too bright, but not dark enough to cause the artist to strain their eyes while trying to see the lines in front of them.

 

Chanyeol would be starting with the stranger's face. The nicely defined jawline and chin wouldn't be very easy to do, but Chanyeol was sure he could pull it off by using some shadowing to cover up any mistakes. After making delicate lines for the second base, mainly to define the shape of the head. He now moved on to the eyes. This would be a little tough to do since his eyes were closed and the only clearly defined lines would be his eye lashes and eyebrows. The rest would be, again, shadowing. After the eyes, he went on to draw his nose. It was small and cute. The way it stuck out at the end was probably the cutest thing anyone could have, in Chanyeol's opinion. Next was the lips. They were small and formed a sort of small frown as he slept.

 

His hair would be next. This was the part that Chanyeol had been dreading the most. Chanyeol wasn't one to like to put a lot of detail into small things such as a single misplaced hair or anything like that. But this one would have to be an exception.

 

Chanyeol spent about forty five minutes to sketch out the hair and then make darker lines over the second base. But the next time he looked up to check his work, the student' sees were open. And he did not look happy. Not. At. All. Not expecting to be caught, Chanyeol immediately jumped backwards, dropping his sketch book and all of his pencils rolled across the floor.

 

"W-Who the hell are you?!" The stranger yelled, more pissed off than scared, but Chanyeol only seemed to notice how silky his voice sounded. It was like the most perfect melody he had ever heard.

 

"M-Mianhaeyo!" Chanyeol quickly bowed his head, hoping that the beautiful stranger wouldn't be as angry after hearing his apology.

 

"Just stay away from me!" The boy yelled as he hurriedly stood up and ran back inside the building.

 

"Wait! I want to know your na-" Chanyeol was cut off by the loud thunk of the large and heavy door.

 

Chanyeol sat there in shock for a few minutes, but was snapped out of it by the loud piercing ring of the bell that signaled the end to the students's lunch break. He then started to panic as he picked up his fallen pencils and sketch book.

 

"! I can't be late again! I'll be killed!" Chanyeol cursed to himself as he tried to make his way to class as fast as he could.

 

'I guess I'll just have to wait until that guy shows up again...I need to finish my drawing and maybe get to know him...' Was the last thing that Chanyeol thought before he rushed into his classroom and tried to prepare himself for class in about thirty seconds.