Chapter Four

Encounters, Partings

After several minutes, Rina returned with a huge smile on her face, as if winning at the lottery. Seems like a big good news is coming.

"Departure hits #1 in the most requested songs to be put into a physical CD! Would you believe it? Our fans wanted a single release!" she joyfully informed her bandmates.

"WOW! Wait- for real? For real?!" Tomomi replied, the news is just too great for them to finally sync in what they heard.

"Really?! T-that's totally cool!" Mami cannot believe what Rina had said, she wrote the lyrics and composed that song though. She didn’t expect that kind of anticipation coming from the fans, it’s really good to know.

"Oh, my!Great! Considering we only made the video public for 24 hours in our website, it’s wonderful.." Haruna continued.

The drummer said, "Yes! Our fans are so amazing.. It also reached 24k views within one whole day, to add on."

The four them were too happy that made them squeal like some little girls and group hugged because of another achievement reached. Departure was made as a surprise song for the fans, to commemorate the first year anniversary of their one-man concert at the prestigious Osaka-jo Hall titled “Wonderful Tonight” last 2013, and that same day they debuted. A surprise song only made available in public in a limited day (in Japan only) and never planned to be uploaded again, and now they’re definitely hooking for a single release.

“Girls, it’s time to pack. We’re going to leave.” their manager said.

Upon hearing the reminder, SCANDAL already packed their stuff and were ready to set off.

While inside the car…

“Rina..” their leader called.

She turned to Haruna, “Yeah?”

“Uh, Tomomi, Mami and I have already decided that we’re going to listen to your album prize..tomorrow. I-it’s their decision though.”

“..Tomorrow already? And why? I mean, that quick?”

Haruna looked at Tomomi with wide eyes, as if to say, “Answer her!”

“Alright,” The bassist said to explain things further, “A member of B.A.P, the group we competed with earlier, approached me just today before we left the studio. He asked me to do a favor, and that is to write them a review of the album you received. Of course I agreed to do it, and now, we’re going to listen tomorrow. So I could write and finish it quick.”

“Oh..okay! Sure, tomorrow! While we still have some free time.”

“Good! It’s settled then.” Mami said.

“But wait, who’s that member? Maybe I can recall his face.”Rina asked.

“For sure you will. The main vocalist, the one with the gray hair and, and, uhmm, good eyes? Tanned skin, and I had to admit though, the cute face.” Tomomi wasn’t very good at describing people, so using her hand gestures, that’s the best way he can describe none other Daehyun.

The other three just chuckled; probably thinking and have something common in mind.

She clears , “It won’t take that long, I assure you guys. It won’t eat a lot of our time.” she promised.

It was a long ride, a tiring day. The street lights were the only objects shining on the dark night, but at least they got to have some rest.

The next morning…

At exactly 8: 15 AM, Tomomi’s first destination is to go for the CR. Not to do any hygienic tasks- but to cough it all out. She was coughing terribly, and she doesn’t want anyone, not her co-members or even her family, to know that it’s getting worse as each day passes. It’s only a cough, definitely not. This one’s been affecting her performance lately. Her voice is the same, the tiny high pitched voice, but she’s not that lively anymore. It seems like she begins to lack energy, despite having enough rest and food for the day.

She sides herself on the wall, with her head up but her eyes closed, chasing her breath. After recovering, she gets out and went for the kitchen, took a glass of water and drank and drank until she felt the satisfaction needed by her hoarse throat.

“8: 23 AM, I’m gonna start this now.” She said to herself. Her bandmates are still sleeping, except for Rina. Actually, Rina rises up early just to watch her favorite show on TV. Since she’s the one owning the album, Tomomi didn’t dared wake up Haruna and Mami anymore.

The radio was placed on the living room, beside it was their bedroom. So it wouldn’t be a surprise if ever the other two woke up badly.

“Good morning, Rina…” Tomomi approached from behind.

Rina looked at her and was shocked, because Tomomi usually don’t wake up this early in the morning, so she just greeted her, “Ah! Good morning, Tomo. You, you seem to wake up early today, are you going out?” she asked innocently.

“Uh, no, I’m not going out. It’s pretty cold outside. I-I just wanted to borrow the, the album.”

“You’re going to listen to it now, I mean, we? Don’t you like to eat breakfast first? There are breads on the kitchen.”

“..Oh, yeah sure! Of course! Is there strawberry jam there?”

“Yes! There are also others, just check the refrigerator.”

“Okay! Thanks.” then she went to the kitchen. Actually, she has no appetite to eat that time, but she needs to. She doesn’t want them to be worried about her loss of appetite, since she normally really loves to eat.

Tomomi prepared two slices of bread with strawberry jam as a spread in between and a cup of hot chocolate. As she sat on the chair, Rina then went after her.

“..Hey, Tomo,” she said hesitantly with an uncertain expression on her face, “I-I heard you cough so hard from the CR just before you approached me. Please answer me honestly, are you not feeling well? It worries us so much.”

She didn’t reply, rude as it sounds, but she just continued eating as if she heard nothing. It was a moment of silence, when:

“Oh, please, answer me! Speak up!” the worried drummer almost shouted.

After finishing her two slices of bread, Tomomi sighed and looked at Rina with deepest gratitude, “I’m okay.”

“No, you’re not.” she shook her head.

“It’s just a cough-“

“Just a cough?! It’s not normal anymore! Every time you cough, you’re chasing your breath; you’re wheezing!” she paused, and then whispered,“ Don’t tell me I’m wrong.”

That’s the time when Tomomi finally decided to stand up and calmed Rina down.

“Don’t shout, I beg you. You don’t want to wake them up right?”

It took a few seconds for Rina to realize her unwanted behavior, “I-I’m sorry..” she said and covered her eyes using her left hand.

“It’s alright.”

She then dragged her to a place somewhere in their dorm that is completely unused and quiet, but not far from the living room. Not the best place to tell a secret, but for now, it is.

“Rina, I’m so well, you know. I’m entirely fine. But when my cough attacks, that’s the time I began to feel weak. I don’t have an idea why..” she told her as she held .

“I wasn’t expecting to hear that. I’ve known Tomo for a long, long time. I’m not used to hearing you say ‘I feel weak’. That’s not a line Tomo usually says. I’ve never even heard you say that.”

“But I have to say it, only right now, to you. I’m never going to say it to anybody..”

She felt really sad, and bit her lip to hide her emotion, “What do you feel when you’re coughing?”

“I always think I’m going to die. Every time I cough, I just feel my chest pain so hard, my throat become raspy. I just wanted to, to cry.”

The concerned drummer hugged her quick but tenderly as if they’re like sisters,“We still have a line of upcoming lives, and your situation right now is totally not great.”

“I know..”

“Don’t you like to visit the doctor for a check-up? I’ll accompany you.”

“No, no, please.”

“But why? You need to.”

“Just, no, please. I have my own reasons. And..please don’t tell anyone about this.”

She sighed, “Okay.. Just make sure that I will never see you being rushed into the hospital, alright? Promise me that.”

“Tomo!Rina! Where are you?!” shouted Mami, so she woke up already.

“I guess we should get out of here now.” Tomomi said.

..She didn’t promise back.

“Hey you two, where did you went?” a sleepy Mami asked them while making a cup of coffee.

“Ah, we just walked around the dorm.” answered Rina.

Tomomi looked at the clock, and it’s already 8: 38 AM.

From that small action, the drummer then immediately went into the living room again, this time she got the CD and inserted it onto the radio.