Peter Pan

The Boy from Neverland

Ricky came out from the bathroom after having a long bath thinking about what difference would it be as he turns 19. He didn’t see any change coming. It has always been the same. The same pressure, the same expectation, the same words “We want you to make us proud”. Those words that he heard eversince he was a child. When he was younger, he remembered wanting to go to the zoo but his parents were always busy and they would always tell him its better to read than going to the zoo cause it smells. All sorts of excuses. He was inexperienced over everything.

He suit up and wore his tuxedo. He was sure that a lot of his school mates would come. He can’t really call them his friends since, he didn’t think anyone actually was sincere in being friends with him. Everyone are after his money. Even his party, the doorgift is pricy and nice. Free entrance, great food, great hall. He didn’t plan it all. It was his parents.

Ricky attends a private school and he was likely to be one of the richest kid in school but, he’s not spoiled like some other, he was just controlled. He’s not the kind of person to ask for things, he just gets it without asking but in return, he has to obey them. He has to be home after school, and attends a private tutoring session, attends meeting that he doesn’t even want, meeting people he doesn’t even know. His life was luxurious but, he felt empty.

As he was getting ready, someone knocked his door. His mom.

“Hey, honey. So, you just have to come out later and blow the candles, as usual okay? It’s your 19th birthday.” His mom said.

“Sure. Why do we have some jazz group playing music at my party?” Ricky asked

“Because, it’s nice. They are not just some random jazz group. They’re well known.” His mother stressed it out.

“Yea, but I don’t think any of my school mates knows or gives a damn over those people.” He said.

“I’m quite surprise your manner is somehow different now that you are 19.” His mother a cold look. “Do not disappoint us.”

Ricky turned away and sighed. “I’m sorry. You can go now. I am getting ready.”

“I’ll leave your present on your desk.” His mom said.

He turned to look at the gift and he walked over to the desk and checked what his mother gave him. He opened the box and sighed.

“Bell and Ross’s Vintage WW1 Heure Sautante.” He puts it back and didn’t even felt excited  but he knew, his mom was expecting him to wear it at the party.

-----

His school mates started to enter the hall and was greeted with a really beautiful door gift. The jazzy music was playing and nobody cares. No one actually really care that it is his birthday. It’s just for the privilege. His parents set the dress code as ‘Ladies and Gentleman’. So everyone turned up in dresses and tuxedos. Dalrim came in and look at everything in the hall.

“Everything is just wrong. The jazz dudes, the foods, the dress code. This is not a party.” Dalnim addressed. “But, its Prince charming’s birthday and I don’t see any Cinderella coming in.”

Dalnim walked around the hall until she found a door that was not locked. Unlike other doors. She enters the room and found a flight of staircase leading to somewhere she doesn’t even know. Curiously, she ran up the stairs to know what’s hidden after the stairs. The stairs lead her to a balcony. From up, she can see people coming in the hall downstairs. She didn’t even know this ‘Ricky’ guy. She only came because her friend was trying to have her dreams on meeting a prince charming like Cinderella did.

She was amused with the view from the balcony. The moon was beautiful and it was breath taking. As she was enjoying the view , someone came out to the balcony.

“What are you doing here?” Ricky asked as it was the balcony to his room.

“Oh? Um, I found the stairs and wondered where this would lead me to and here I am under the beautiful full moon” Dalnim said smiling.

“Are you even allowed to be here?” Ricky said feeling disturbed

“Well, honestly, I came to this party cause, my friend told me to and I don’t even know this Ricky guy. And, his party is really wrong. It’s not a party.” Dalnim said as honest as she can cause she doesn’t know that she was talking to Ricky. Ricky was surprised cause she was being so honest.

“Oh..” Ricky was amused. “So, if it’s not a party, what is it?” Ricky asked.

“I don’t know. A boring ball? I guess. Why are you up here?”

Ricky decided to just pretend to be someone else, for the moment that she’s not even suspecting him or even have a clue he’s Ricky. He’s just a birthday boy anyway or maybe, the richest kid in school who is not even popular, but just a wallflower.

“I, was.. um, looking for a toilet. Like you, I found the stairs.”  Ricky looked at her and smile. “Actually, today is my birthday, but this Ricky guy stole all the spotlights, no one wanted to come to my party.” Ricky lied.

“Oh really?! Oh my God! Happy birthday. Oh what is your name? My name is Jung Dalnim.”

Of course, he can’t tell his real name. “My name is Peter.” Ricky said saying any names he can think of.

“Peter? That doesn’t sound Korean at all.”

“Well, Ricky is not a Korean name, I have a friend name Daniel too and he is Korean.” Ricky said.

“So, the party is boring.” Dalnim was thinking hard for a plan to escape the party. “Do you want to go have fun with me as a birthday present?”

“What?” Ricky was surprised. “But, we barely know each other.”

“Well, you don’t look like someone who would me to be honest.” Dalnim smiled. “And, I think I believe in you.”

“What if I happen to be a bad person?” Ricky asked.

“Well, trusting you was my choice and it is your choice to break it. If you really are a bad person then, I don’t know. I might be wasted.” Dalnim laughed.

“Where do you want to go?” Ricky asked.

“Well, Peter Pan, we are going to Neverland!” Dalnim said and pulled his hand.

“Are you kidding me!? You said you have a prize for me!” Ricky said as he runs along with Dalnim.

“The best kind of prize is, SURPRISE!” Dalnim lead her out from the mansion and they were set for a night long adventure.

To Ricky, it was his first escape from reality. Somehow, it would turn out great.

-----

"Neverland exist, if you believe"