Chapter 1

She-wolf

It was a typical day for Julia. She was reading her favorite book, “Twilight”, while munching on snacks in her room. Her parents were at work and since it was summer she was free to do whatever she wants. Bad thing was it was rainy and she wasn’t able to go out. Right when Bella was deciding she didn’t care about Edward being a vampire there was a crash. Startled she yelped a little and putdown her book, while sitting more alert. She strained to hear anything but it was eerily quiet. She got up and tip toed to her door, hesitating if she should open it or not. It could be a burglar and she wasn’t exactly super hero, but she can’t just stay here and do nothing. Deciding she grabbed the hardest thing she had, which happened to be a very big dictionary and opened her door. Slowly she got down the stairs but what she saw made her stop dead in her tracks. Before her was a very big white and black wolf. And it was looking straight at her. Her immediate reaction probably wasn’t the best but it was her instinct, she screamed at the top her lungs and run upstairs. The interesting thing was the wolf didn’t run after her, it just kept looking at her. When she run into her door, she locked it and tried to find her phone.

“Where the hell is the damned thing? Please let it be a dream. How can a wolf be that big? Is it mutated?” she kept mumbling to herself when she finally found her phone in the pocket of her jeans she wore yesterday.

She called her father first. He’ll know what to do. He picked it up on the second ring.

“Yes, honey?” he asked sweetly.

“Papa, there’s a big wolf in the house downstairs. I don’t know what to do. Please come home” she didn’t know that she was sort of crying then.

“Big wolf??? You’re not hurt anywhere, are you? Did it attack you? Where are you right now? What does it look like?” he rushed question after question.

What does the wolf’s appearance matter? “I’m fine for now, and I’m in my room. It didn’t attack me, just looked at me, I think it was assessing how much meat I’ll be. It was big and white and black.” She tried to answer as fast as she can while hiding in her closet.

On the other line she heard her father cursing and it was the first time in her 19 years hearing her father cursing. “Honey, I’ll be there soon, don’t worry. Did you call your mother? Don’t hang up your phone whatever happens, try to keep it with you. I’ll be there as soon as possible. And don’t try to play hero, stay put and hide the best you can.” He said and she can hear rustling over the line.

“I didn’t call mom, I called you straightaway. Papa, I’m scared” her voice was shaking slightly and she was on the verge of crying again.

“It’s okay honey, I’m coming. And honey, I love you always” he whispered the last part.

She didn’t know why but she suddenly had a very bad omen when she heard the last part. She can hear her father rushing to his car and getting in. Now it was only a matter of time before he came. There were more crashes downstairs and she flinched every time. Suddenly there was a pounding on her door. She refused to get out and was afraid to even make a sound. The pounding stopped abruptly and there was a muffled argument going on.

‘What was happening? What happened to the wolf? Who are these people? Is it the police? Perhaps her neighbors heard the commotion and called the police.’ Right as she was about to get out of her closet she remember her father saying stay put. Maybe staying quiet for little while longer isn’t bad after all. With that thought she brought the phone closer to hear what was happening. First there was only rustling sound and she can hear a car engine outside.

‘Finally he came.’ Relief was first but panic soon followed. ‘What if something happens to him? Maybe I should have called the police. What if that wolf was a very big dog of the burglars?’ with these thoughts she was listening carefully on her phone. She can hear her father getting out of the car and running on the pavement. But he suddenly stopped when there was a loud growling sound.

“Rosalind.” She heard her father say and the line went dead.