Chapitre 2

Except Him
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We reach the field in comfortable silence, and he claims he warmed up already, dashing straight onto the field. As soon as he runs on, the female population of our school, older and younger alike, let out screams, like the dork was some sort of celebrity. Except, in our small town, I guess he kind of is.

 

His teammates gawk at his fluffy mass of blonde-ness atop his head, and his friend, Minseok smirks. So he was in on it. I find a seat in the bleachers when my girl friends shout my name and beckon. I wave, making my way over to them.

 

"Hey, Remi," they greet, and I grin at them. They chatter about the players on the other team, looking for attractive ones, although in the end, they decree the ones from our team are much better.

    

"What do you think, Mimi?" Hana, who is sitting in front of me, asks with a wiggle of her perfect eyebrows.

 

"She only has eyes for Luhan," Hyerin smirks, expression identical to Minseok's earlier one. I roll my eyes, used to my friends' jokes. But Luhan is just my best friend- nothing more, but definitely nothing less.

 

When the game starts, the players jog onto the field casually. I can tell instantly where Luhan is, from his hair, but I can also make out his buddies Jongdae, Yixing, and Minseok. The referee blows his whistle, and the captains toss a coin. The ball goes to our team first, and while the guys are kicking the black and white ball around, I hear my name being called. I glance at my friends to check if it was them, but they are all obviously enraptured by the sweaty males running around. I glance behind me, and brighten up when I see Kris and Zitao.

 

I stand up and hop towards them, my departure completely unnoticed by my friends.

 

"Kriiiiis," I drawl with a fluent English accent. He pats my head, but I just give him a look and reach over to pinch Zitao's cheeks. He swats me away lightly, and they move so I sit in between them.

 

Kris and Zitao are both ridiculously tall, unlike my brother and me. That's probably why they're both on the basketball team, instead of the soccer team. Kris is Chinese, but from Canada, and moved here about six years ago, which was why I use him as a personal English tutor- not that he minds. Zitao’s from China as well, like most of the guys in Luhan's circle. They’re both close with us, being together since elementary.

 

We chat amicably about the Chuseok break that was coming up, when the crowd erupts into cheers. I glance at the field to check for the cause of the frenzy, and I spot Luhan running across the spring grass, grinning widely. He searches the crowd for something, and when he meets my eyes, he smiles so wide I'm afraid his face might split. He waves with both his arms, and I wave back cheerfully. My friends swoon at his sweet smiles and wide waves, but I know he doesn't mean anything with his actions. Zitao and Kris both snicker, wiggling their eyebrows suggestively. I frown.

 

"He could be waving at you guys too, you know."

 

"Gross. Just no," Zitao refutes instantly, shaking his head and sharing a meaningful glance with Kris. I just sigh. Can't a guy and a girl just be friends?

 

Eventually, our team wins, which we all knew would happen. I rush off the stands to give Luhan his water and favorite towel, and he sweeps me and his friends into a hug. We laugh, and I pry him off, wrinkling my nose.

 

"You guys are all sweaty," I complain, but they know I don't really care. We head down the sidewalk of the main street in a crowd, a tangle of arms and messy hair. Minseok slings his arms over me and Luhan's shoulders, putting his face in between us. I reach up a bit to mess up his thick locks, but quickly draw back, remembering the sweat. Gross.

 

"How was the game?" Minseok asks me, a bounce in his step. I shrug nonchalantly.

 

"Everyone knew you guys would win anyways, so it wasn't that amazing," I reply, and he pouts, looking much like a meat bun.

 

"I don't know if that's supposed to make me happy," he says with mock hurt, and Luhan smacks him in the back. Minseok swears, and I laugh.

 

We reach the one ice cream parlor in town, and it's crowded with people vying for a cool t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter