Abnegation

Divergent

Baekhyun POV

 

We have been told that there was a war over a hundred years ago, and that we're the last remaining, or so I've been told. 

 

Our founders built a wall that protects us from the outside but I don't want to be protected, I want to see what's out there. I don't like being couped up in this place for my whole life. I think if anyone hears me talking like this, they would think I'm crazy, but I don't care! I want to feel free instead of feeling like I'm trapped in my own city.

 

My name is Byun Baekhyun, or as my older brother likes to call me: Hyun.

 

I come from a faction called Abnegation. What are factions you may ask? Factions are what separates us.

 


Erudite is the know it all faction. They are dedicated to knowledge, intelligence, and curiosity. It was formed by those who believe that the war was started based off of ignorance. They ignore ignorance and darkness from their human minds. They are literally are rivals and will stop at nothing just t o overthrow our government.

 

Candor is the honest faction. They can not tell a little lie, even if you think they are lying, they aren't. Throughout the years of our city, they have provided us with trustworthy people and sound leaders in the law.

 

Dauntless is the fearless faction. The people from dauntless protect our city and make sure that the faction less don't kill each other or try to rise up against our government. They are the bravest and strongest people that we have, so if a civil war broke out, let's say Abnegation and Erudite, they would step  in and stop it before it got out of hand. 

 

Abnegation is the selfless faction. This is my faction! We help the faction less, like feed them and make sure that they are warm during the winter. We also don't eat meat. We plant our own food and eat it, either making soup or stew. It's not the funniest faction to be in because everyone looks down on you, for some reason. 

 

Amity is the peace faction. They believe that there is peace in everyone and don't go for war. There is little to talk about them because I never paid attention to the peace making faction. 

 

I always wanted to be in Dauntless, ever since I was a little kid. I feel like there is so much that Dauntless can offer and that's the rush. You can feel that you just don't belong somewhere and that something else is calling your name. 

 

The faction less are people who leave their factions that they chose. They scramble for food, clothes, and shelter. Dauntless always makes sure that they don't kill each other or rise up against the government.

 

"You have five seconds," my mom pushed some buttons and a mirror appeared. She cut some of my lose hanging hairs, that was almost touching my ear, and she trimmed my bangs. "Times up." She closed the mirror and I looked at the outfit she picked out. It was a simple grey shirt and grey pants, Abnegation color. "Excited?"

 

I could sense the excitement and worry ness in her voice. I looked at her and shook my head. I don't know but I just have a bad feeling about today. 

 

"Nervous," she moved my bangs to the side and sighed. 

 

"I'm not ready for you and your brother to go through with this testing. You two are still my babies." I smiled and kissed her cheek. 

 

"We will still be your babies. Love you." I got my bag and went outside, where I saw my brother kick a soccer ball to the little kids. "JongDae!" I yelled out. He turned to me and gave me a smile before putting on his bag and running towards me. 

 

"Ready for today?" I shook my head and I looked at him while biting my lip. "What's wrong?" He pouted and I had to let out a chuckle. He's a year older than me but he still acts immature. 

 

"I just don't have a good feeling about today." He nodded, even though he probably doesn't know what I'm talking about.  

 

JongDae is only two years older than me and everyone always asks for his opinion for everything. It's annoying because I want people to hear my voice but no. No one wants to hear what Baekhyun has to say.

 

Our father serves alongside with the Abnegation governor, SiWon. People have started rumors, more like Erudite, saying that SiWon abused his son. No one in Abnegation ever knew that he would hurt a fly, let alone hurt his son, so we were completely offended that they would start such a nasty rumor.

 

Before I knew it, we were standing in front of a tower that had the Abnegation symbol. I looked at the rest of the factions.

 

Amity are talking to each other, probably about love, peace, no war. Their so annoying and I hate it when they start talking because I get such a bad headache.

 

Candor are probably talking about having a better court system and all that legal stuff.

 

Erudite is just a bunch of s and I don't care what they talk about.

 

The only faction that isn't here is Dauntless, which isn't a surprise because they're always late to everything.

 

"Is it true that Abnegation steals from us?" I heard someone ask one of my friends. All she did was ignore him and try her best to move away from him. "Hey I asked you a question!" He shoved her from her friends. He was from Candor, but I do not understand why he's being so violent towards her.

 

JongDae grabbed her wrist and shoved her next to me. "Leave her alone," the guy from Candor laughed and rolled his eyes.

 

"Why don't you tell me if the rumors are true or not?" He cocked his head to the side and waited for JongDae to respond, but JongDae didn't. "Pathetic." He scoffed before he left and stood with his friends.

 

"You okay?" She nodded her head before thanking JongDae and left to go talk with one of her friends.

 

I was about to tell JongDae something but I was interrupted by a train coming. I saw heads popping out of the train and everyone knows that it's Dauntless. As the train got closer, they started to jump off of it and run up to the tower that had the Dauntless symbol on it.

 

They seemed like they weren't scared of taking this test. A test that tells you what faction you best belong in. Everyone else is always scared because no one wants to be separated from their families.

 

JongDae and I don't want to be separated from our parents. We were scared to be placed to somewhere that we don't know any one or anything. I'm just hoping that if worst comes to worst then JongDae would be the one to stay behind, not me. You may call it selfish but JongDae would do so much better back in Abnegation because that's where he belongs, I don't belong there.

 

We walked inside and it seemed normal, up until they separated everyone.

 

I walked into the room, that was holding a chair and other machinery that I had no idea what they were. A girl walked in, wearing all leather and some red highlights in her hair.

 

"Sit," she ordered. I guess she was from Dauntless because only those kind of people wear such ridiculous clothing. "My name is Krystal and I will be administering your exam." She gave me a glass that had blue stuff in it.

 

"What is this?" I asked her.

 

"It's for your exam. Drink." I did what she ordered.

 

It tasted disgusting! Like the nasty cold medicine!

 

She took the glass from my hand and started to mess with the machine. I looked at the mirror and then looked back at Krystal but she wasn't their.

 

I got up from my seat and started to look around the room. I then realized that there were more reflections of me. I walked up to the mirror and put my hand on the mirror, watching the others do my exact movement. It was scary to be honest, watching myself do all of this stuff. I turned around and saw a dog, that was growling at me and he was about to pounce.

 

There were two tables and on one there was meant, another there was a knife.

 

"Choose one quickly." My reflection told me. I was about to choose one but the tables were gone.

 

There was a little boy, who was also from Abnegation. The dog looked at him and started to chase after the little boy. I ran after the dog, trying to protect the kid, jumped on the dog and we were both swallowed up by the floor.

 

I woke up with sweat dripping down my face. I felt like I couldn't breath. I quickly sat up and start to regain my breath, waiting for Krystal to tell me what my result was.

 

"Get up," she grabbed my arm and started to lead me to the back door.

 

"Wait, what was my result?"

 

She looked at me but she looked hesitant. "Abnegation, Candor, Erudite, Dauntless, and Amity." My mouth parted half way and I was about to lose it if she didn't tell me the truth.

 

"You're joking?" She shook her head and started to guide me to the back door.

 

"You're rare. Their after people like you."

 

"People like me? What am I?"

 

"Their called Divergents. It happens when they are tested in all five groups They're a threat to society and some people want them killed." She opened the back door. "Tomorrow, choose Abnegation, nothing else. Tell your parents that the syrup made you sick." She closed the door before I could even respond.

 

 

 

Night fell quicker than normally, probably because we have our ceremony tomorrow and I guess time hates us. I don't want to leave my parents but I still can't wrap my mind about being a Divergent. Why would we be a threat?

 

Dinner was always held in the living room, while a candle was lit in between us and we also sat on the ground but a pillow was underneath our bottoms.

 

"Why did you leave without telling anyone?" My father asked me as he was eating his soup.

 

"She said that she would tell them that I left but I guess she didn't." I responded before I ate my soup, while my brother was slowly eating his. Normally he's faster at eating, I guess something happened during his testing.

 

"Erudite is trying to bring up the scandal about SiWon and his son." My father started to spark a conversation with my mom. She was always interested in what happened with the governor.

 

"What happened to his son?" JongDae finally decided to talk. I was starting to think the test made him mute.

 

My mom drank her water before starting. "He ran away. People said that he went out of the city and got killed by rouges, others say that he went into another faction but they can never find him." JongDae nodded and started to mess around with the mushrooms.

 

After dinner, JongDae and I cleaned the dishes. I was cleaning them while he dried them. Our father came in and he looked nervous, scared, and upset.

 

"I just want to tell you both that I am proud of you and whatever happens, I will always love you." He hugged me, giving me a kiss on my temple while my mom hugged JongDae. The switched off and my mom hugged me tight.

 

When they left JongDae looked at me before giving me a hug. It's going to be hard to let go of my brother. He's been with my through everything and I don't want to let him slip through my fingers.

 

"Think about mom and dad, not just yourself tomorrow." He told me before he headed to his room.

 

I do think of mom and dad but I want to do what's best for me.


A/N:

And here's the first chapter!!!

Hope you guys like it and I hope it wasn't a let down!!

Subscribe, Comment, UpVote <3