♔ii.

Keia's Diary: The Daughters of the Palace
Please log in to read the full chapter

                She still couldn’t believe how magical she felt when Taecyeon called her name. It was always her calling him, in classroom, in the cafeteria. Some nights, when her mind would instinctively think of him, she would imagine him calling her name for once. But she never really thought that her imaginations will actually materialize until it happened.

                “Chaerin,” and this second time was unexpected too. “I was just thinking…” he scratched the back of his neck and the left side of his lips twitched in an unsure smile, and Chaerin tried to prevent herself from laughing.

                “Yes?” she smiled asking for him to continue, almost awestricken at how powerful her name could ever sound.

                “Just,” just… “Would you like to have a stroll with me?” Chaerin couldn’t be any happier. Her heart began beating faster and faster that she could feel it jumping out of her chest. Of course she’d nod yes, because she’s too overwhelmed to even say it out loud. If Chaerin was just paying enough attention, she could have heard his nervous heartbeats too and the flush of red washing the entirety of his face.

 

                They walked the streets of Chilyo, his hands inside his pockets and her hands playing with the ends of her backpack straps. People were oddly few and if it wasn’t for a tarpaulin of Prince Sehun, she would not remember that tonight was a national celebration.

                “What do you usually do when you stroll?” It was again Chaerin who initiated a conversation. She isn’t really used to silence. What is peace and quiet when you have friends as wild as Chaerin’s. Oh, those ungrateful bastards! Chaerin pouted, remembering how her friends could just run and abandon her. But she immediately smiled it off, because she realized that her being alone led to this surreal moment.

                “Well, when I have the time, I do walks. But I rarely get to stroll outside the palace,” and he ended it with a mischievous grin. He knew that Chaerin would think he’s just playing with her, and his thoughts confirmed when her response was to raise her right eyebrow and then roll her eyes at him.

                “Wow, that must be a pretty boring stroll. Want to settle for some coffee?” again, she tagged along with his playfulness and even acted a yawn.

                “Well, I have a very good relationship with the Prince, so walking with him is more than bearable. And sure, coffee sounds nice,” they walked towards a nearby café and Taecyeon opened the door for her, “Before you, milady.” She rolled her eyes and linked her arms with him instead.

                They talked about anything except the weather, which meant they were really having a conversation. Everything was going well, and maybe this conversation might lead them to something better, something she didn’t even thought before they started talking—real talk.

                Neither of them even realized how long they’ve been lounging on their comfortable seats until Chaerin’s phone rang. She almost got a shock when she realized it was her mother calling.

                “Sorry, I need to get this.” She said half-heartedly before answering her mother’s call.

              “Where are you?” it doesn’t help that she expected her mother to yell at her. She will never be prepared for these kinds of things.

                “Chilyo,” Chaerin answered straightforwardly.

              “I don’t care where you are, woman! Why aren’t you back at home? Do you know what time it is? You better get your in here before nine!” Chaerin’s mother was so angry, it seemed like her phone was set on loudspeaker. Looking at her watch, she too was amazed by how late it is. It’s already eight in the evening. How could time be this fast?

                “But—“

                “No buts!” and the line was cut.

 

                Chaerin pouted in frustration. It’s not like she won’t return to her house. Besides, there were already days when she stayed late during weekdays and her mother wouldn’t even start a fuss about it, so what is it now?

                “Ahh! That stupid, stupid show!” she cussed under her breath. Even her parents think her daughter’s going to marry the prince too? What the hell is wrong with the world? Also, she doesn’t understand why every single woman within the age of 17-21 is automatically entitled to be one of the lucky thirteen.

                “You want to talk to me about it?” she almost forgot the presence of another person because of her thoughts. It would take at least fifteen minutes for her to return home, depending on the traffic. But she doesn’t want to say goodbye to Taecyeon just yet. Chaerin was having the time of her life, and all because of this stupid show her mother wants to watch with her, she needed to dismiss herself from the man of her dreams.

                “I need to go. Gosh! I can’t believe my mom called me just to remind me I needed to go home before nine! Nine, you know what that is?” unable to hide her dismay, she ranted him her true feelings, but he nodded in understanding.

                He offered to walk her home, but “It’s okay, really. I’ll see you in class?” she asks instead even if she knows she will.

                “As long as you don’t get picked, of course, I’ll still see you.” He flashed her a smile that has instantly reached her soul, she really doesn’t want to walk away from him.

                “Ha! You’re ridiculous.” She scoffed, managing to roll her eyes. “If I ever get selected, I’ll see you in the Palace! Am I right, Mr. Knight in shining uniform?” she giggled as she turned her heel to start walking. As she takes her steps, she records the sounds of his chuckles in her head. They would be a good alternative for her old lullabies.

 

 

                Back in the palace, the outsourced workers have already left, now replaced by photographers, videographers and the Royal Family’s all-time master of ceremony, Kang Dongsuk. Cameras, two big second generation LED monitors, mics and the proper additional lights have been installed inside the Palace. Powerful people from all over the world, including some very influential people from the entertainment industry, have been invited for tonight’s event, where everyone will be of witness to the selection of thirteen lucky women from all over the country as Prince Sehun’s prospective wife and Keia’s future Crown Princess.

                  “Your Highnesses.” Upon the entrance of King Kwangjoon and Queen Soohyun, the maids curtsied while the royal guards bowed, and soon they all left the Crown Prince’s room to give the royal family their privacy.

               “Father, mother!” it was the Crown Prince’s turn to acknowledge his parents who were obviously anticipating tonight’s event. Even with their excitement, the aura of sophistication and grace never left them.

                   “My, my, my! Darling, why isn’t he wearing his crown yet?” the King said, confused about the absence of that symbol of royalty on his son’s head. There is this certain degree of loudness and this specific tone in the King’s voice that would make everyone shut their mouth and listen.

                “Why can’t you learn to talk directly to your son, Darling?” Queen Soohyun softly said, lightly patting the side of her husband’s cheeks and then suppressing a giggle when she caught the flush painting his face.

Please log in to read the full chapter