♔i.

Keia's Diary: The Daughters of the Palace
Please log in to read the full chapter

                In the eastern part of the globe lies a land, which although is still currently ruled by the old monarchy, has evolved over the years and managed to become a first world country. Since the ultimate division of the Korean peninsula, the Oh’s have always claimed the throne as they governed and ruled over the Kingdom of Keia—or what used to be South Korea.

                 The Oh’s have always been the epitome of elegance, beauty, wealth, and power. From the first degree down to the 3rd degree, they have exemplified as Royalty. Wherever they are, whoever they meet, whatever the circumstances are, there is this certain aura that only a blood-related Oh embodies. That’s what makes them distinct. That’s what makes them Royalty.

                However, the law states that only the first degree family should live inside the Palace. That only includes the Higher King, Higher Queen, King (which is the first born son of the Higher King), Queen, Crown Prince and the Crown Princess. The children of the royal family will be allowed to stay at the Palace even if they aren’t the first born son until they reach the age of majority, and when that time comes, they will be asked to leave the Palace immediately and settle in a comfortable house elsewhere.

                Based on history books, this tradition has brought quite some royal family feud over the centuries. Some first son just doesn’t want to sit on the throne, while on other case; the other sons wanted the same crown for themselves as well as the first son.

                Fortunately, the line of the first degree this generation is the simplest of its kind. The Royal Family consists of Oh Jaekyung (Higher Queen), Oh Kwangjoon (King), Oh Soohyun (Queen), and Oh Sehun (Crown Prince).

                It has been a rough time for the King, Kwangjoon, to adapt to the sudden change his late father decided on him, and that is to marry a commoner. The reasoning of his father was first due to the adaptation to modernization, but Kwangjoon then found out that it was actually because of the hidden vision of his father. He was always a great believer of the country’s unification, and marrying a commoner was the biggest break of the old tradition.

                At first, Kwangjoon agreed to it for the sole reason of liberalization, but after meeting Soohyun, he knew it was destined to be. She was the perfect woman, the perfect wife he could ask for and he could never thank his father enough for breaking that tradition of marrying someone in the first degree upper class.

                The citizens never really complained for they have loved the royal family the way they love their own. What’s more, they have loved them even more when King Kwangjoon, who was the crown prince that time, married a commoner. Every single Koreans grew a certain kind of hope that was never present before—the hope of absolute unification between all classes.

                But of course, there must still be some who think that the Royal family are nothing but a bunch of ‘postage-stamps-ready’ people who steal money from the citizens to live a luxurious life. But they are the minority, about five percent out of the hundred who aren’t even considered citizens of Keia, for they aren’t registered and aren’t even paying their taxes. The irony of the rebels.

                Today, the people in the Palace are busier than ever. The best florists in the country have been called to take care of the flowers needed for the celebration tonight. The kitchen is on fire as the cooks and the Master Chefs started preparing the meals needed for the banquet. The maids were as restless as ants in sweeping every nook to make sure that every place is spotless clean. The servants and other invited outsiders were all around the place doing their respective businesses. And so you may ask, what must be taking these people busy?—

 

 

                “OH MY GOD!!!” Chaerin could not fathom the giddiness of her friends. They were jumping and smiling from ear to ear ever since she saw them. Perhaps, even before she saw them. She could already imagine them being like this as soon as they woke up.

                “Don’t be so full of yourself Ran, there are like a million other girls competing against us and they only need like thirteen!!” Dana, who is unusually wearing her favorite pearls, suddenly said. Chaerin could tell that she was as terrified as hell.

                “Oh hush, Dana! Why are you being so negative? I have read that if you keep thinking of a specific thing, the whole universe will cooperate,” she lightly slapped her arm, shaking her head in disagreement when suddenly,

                “OH! EM! GEE!” Ran squealed and all of her friends, including Chaerin, immediately focused on her, asking what made her scream.

                “I’m sorry girls, I really don’t want to do this, but I-“ Chaerin was starting to get worried because Ran was starting to tear up. Just a second ago, she was too optimistic, so what must be her reason for being sad all of a sudden?

                “I-I… I promise I won’t forget you even if I’m going to get married to the Prince!” she ended her statement leaving everyone empathizing except for Chaerin. She was simply dumbfounded. What must have happened to her friends’ brains?

                For the whole walk to their class, she has endured the craziness of her friends. Barely, but still… Seriously, she could not even process the impossibility of their fantasies. Sure, based on statistics, as long as the person is alive there is a possibility that they would be able to meet that certain person in this lifetime. Right now, there is a possibility that Chaerin will sit beside President Obama even if that’s zero percent possible if the possibility of it is rounded to the nearest tens, and fair enough everyone in this room will tell her she’s crazy if she even tries to blabber it out loud.

                But right now, she could not even tell her friends they were really ridiculous for almost every girl in the campus is being on the same state as her friends. How could the possibility of being chosen to be one of the thirteen ladies-in-waiting, as Chaerin prefer to call them, differ from the possibility of winning the lottery?

                “I just heard Sulee broke up with Hae,” it was definitely not Chaerin’s personality to stuck her nose on people, but her classmates are gossiping as if they are reporting to the entire universe.

                “Oh my gosh! If today isn’t just the official day of the selection, that would definitely be the hot freaking topic! Why? What happened?” and then there was another commotion. So Chaerin figured, without even intending to, that the hottest couple of the campus is so-last-season because Sulee just happened to be ALSO marrying the prince!

 

                Chaerin could not take all of these anymore. This Prince and his televised search for the Crown Princess have become the hottest trend since last week. ‘Prince Sehun’ has been the number one searched keywords on Weeb Zero—the number one social site in the world. Prince Sehun has been the talk of the town country world when there should have been other things of concern, aka poverty in the rural areas of the country, overpopulation, the never-ending war between the neighboring countries, the economic growth, etc.

                How absurd! Chaerin thought as she rested her forehead on her right palm, wishing that their professor would already come to stop this entire nonsense matter.

                “What’s absurd?” her abrupt train of guarded thoughts were instantly distracted when she heard a familiar deep voice. She couldn’t have uttered her thoughts out loud, could she?

                Squinting her eyes slowly, she was met with those dark brown eyes that could pierce right through her soul. She could never believe it, after three years, Kim Taecyeon has initiated the talk without anything related to schoolwork. This day is definitely creeping the hell

Please log in to read the full chapter