Chapter 22

Hearts and Brains


Tao doesn't sleep in Sehun's bed this time.
Both Sehun and Jongin took their pillows and blankets to the living room and the three of them spent an hour building a blanket fort, then climbed inside and just talked and talked, until the two housemates fell asleep from exhaustion, leaving Tao lying awake alone.
Just like old times, Tao smiles.
He remembers how during school breaks he'd visit Sehun's family, and his cousin would invite Jongin over to camp out in their garden together.
They never slept like they were supposed to.
They always talked, shared their thoughts over sodas and snacks, and then watch the sunrise together.
Tao loved it; spending time with the two people he loves the most aside from his parents makes him feel like the luckiest person on earth.
Despite his cousin's constant teasing, Sehun's always there for Tao if things go wrong, and even though he didn't live near he's always just a phonecall away and he'd listen, no matter what time it was.
And Jonginie, even if Tao didn't understand him at first, he was warm and kind towards him, and now that he does he's even warmer and kinder.
Tao wishes time would stop whenever he's lying next to his family (yes, Jonginie is family too), watching the sun slowly rise from the horizon and lighting up the world before his eyes; the world is beautiful, and Sehun and Jongin make it even better.

"Damn... Did we miss the sunrise...?" Sehun slurs, turning slowly to lie on his back.

"It doesn't matter. We can't see from inside here anyways." Tao smiles, poking at the ceiling of their fort.
Sehun hums and exhales deeply, preparing to go back to sleep.

"Hun-ah, I know this sounds cheesy but... thanks for being here."
Sehun doesn't reply with his usual sass, and instead cracks an eye open to look at Tao.
He then breathes out a small chuckle as he pulls an arm out to tuck the blanket tighter over his cousin.

"No problem. That's what family's for."

 

 

When the boys decide it's time to get out of their blanket fort and return to the real world, it's already early afternoon.
Which means that Tao has missed his morning lectures, and Sehun and Jongin have missed their morning labs.
Not that they were planning to go to class anyway today.

"It'll be alright, just ask to copy up some notes from someone in your course." Jongin tells Tao as they take down the fort together and carry the blankets back to his room.

"As for your beloved feathery friend, I think you can turn on your phone now to check if he's been looking for you. Which he most likely has, because you just left when he wasn't there." Sehun calls from the living room, and Tao pokes his head around the door to see Sehun waving his phone in his hand.
He pulls Jongin along to join the brunette on the sofa, and takes his mobile under Sehun and Jongin's anticipated eyes.


4 unread message(s)
Duizhang:
I'm sorry... Please come back. 03:27
Are you mad at me? 00:05
Why is your phone off? Where are you? 23:22
Where are you? 23:16


"..." Tao locks his phone and gives Sehun and Jongin a panicked look.
Did he not sleep or something?
He probably stayed up all night waiting for you.

"I have to go." Tao whimpers and stands up from the sofa.
Sehun and Jongin each give him a quick hug and a pat on the back, then send the raven haired boy on his way home.
Tao bolts out of the door and races down the stairs, not having time to slip on his sneakers fully, change into something other than his bright and eye catching pajamas or even comb down his wild bed hair a little.
He doesn't care about how he looks, or the horrified and amused faces of the people strolling around in the park; he needs to get back to the dorm as quickly as possible, and that's all that matters.
He nods his head quickly at the flabbergasted security guard without stopping, heading straight for the stairs, skipping multiple steps with each stride.
He wouldn't have been in such a rush if he just stuck to that ridiculous scenario his cousin laid out for him; he'd be fidgeting inside Sehun's apartment, pondering what kind of reaction Yifan would have once he gets back, knowing full well his cousin's assumption was complete bullcrap.
But right now, he just needs to see Duizhang.

"Gege!" Tao tries to yank the door open by the handle, only to find it locked tight.
He pulls at it for a few times before confirming that it is indeed locked, then pats his pockets down for his keys.
No... You left the keys inside!
Tao quite literally followed his cousin's order when he told him to be at his doorstep with his pajamas and toothbrush, taking only his phone as an extra.
Everything's going wrong...
Gege is definitely not inside and we can't go and find him in this...
Tao looks down at his pajamas sadly, suddenly finding them childish for the first time in his whole life.
There's absolutely nothing he can do now apart from sit down outside his door and wait for an uncertain amount of time until Yifan returns.
Tao feels his insides twisting horribly; he just wants to see Yifan, why is it so hard?
He has so much to say to Yifan, about how sorry he is, what an idiot he's been and that he'll never disappear just like that again.
But he can't; he has to hold it all in.
Yifan isn't there.

"Gege..." Tao calls lowly, his vision blurring slowly as he slides down against the door.
Soon his face is damp with tears and he's crying out loud like a small child, wiping his tears and snot on the sleeves of his tatty sleepwear.

 

I'm really scared...
Why, Brain?
I'm all alone, waiting for someone who got tired of waiting for me.
Remember that time when you were on the plane to meet Umma and Appa? You were alone too, and they had to wait three months before you could meet them.
That's different. They're my Umma and Appa, they love me.
You weren't always certain about that though. You were worried they wouldn't like you and would send you back to Qingdao.
Well...
Have faith, Oh Zitao. He's worth waiting for, I promise you.
How do you know, Heart?
I just know. Trust me.

 

 

Author's Note:

Im reeeeeeaaaaalllllllyyyyyy sorryyyyyyy guyyyyyys

I kinda wasn't there for the last couple of days and I didn't update, I'm so sorry :(

Please don't hate me...

For le late update and le angst.

Fluff will come soon, I pwomise.