Chapter 13

Hearts and Brains

"This is all your fault. If you had used that single brain cell inside your skull you'd actually know not to piss the professor off by telling him your grandma knows he stole her jumper and she wants it back." Jongin drags behind a little as he and Sehun are finally released from the lecture hall and kicks Sehun's with much force.
It's five to one, which means Tao will have been waiting for them at the cafe for almost twenty five minutes.
Jongin knows how much Tao hates being alone in a crowded place.
He can already imagine the Chinese boy's eyes flickering back and forth between the front and side doors, with a quivering lip and tears threatening to fall; and it's all Sehun's fault.

"Ow! What? His jumper is worse than that ugly sweater my aunt made for Tao at his first Christmas with us!" Sehun stumbles, attempting to balance himself with his hands, then rubs his sore behind while he protests and swings his fist threateningly at Jongin.
Okay, so it wasn't the nicest jumper (it was a mustard yellow turtleneck with wombat prints, in fact), but Jongin expected better of Sehun than for him to go and provoke a middle-aged man who spent seven years completing his PhD (on Fire Engineering... why, why would you ever do a degree about fire fighting?) and is probably going through mid-life crisis judging from his permanent frown, downturned lips and receding almost inexistent hairline.
But of course, being the reckless kid he is Sehun just had to go and point out the fact that he disapproves of their professor's fashion choices.

"I don't care! Tao's all alone, probably being pushed around in the cafe because freaking lunch hour, thinking we ditched him or something all because you're too dumb to think before you speak!" Jongin shoves one hand in his jacket pocket and tugs harshly on Sehun's collar with his free hand, practically dragging his stupid best friend across the campus as he picks up his pace.
Sehun makes irritated grunting noises, struggling to pry Jongin's iron grip off of him.
Oh, Jongin knows Sehun likes his freedom alright.
The brunette hates being controlled or ordered around; well Jongin doesn't care.
Jongin finally retracts his hands when they reach the cafe, only to shove Sehun aside aggressively with his shoulder and pans his head around to search for the nineteen year old.

"What the hell Kkamjong?? I get you care about your little baby alright, but seriously, doesn't it ever cross your brilliant mind, which you use so much by the way, that it ing hurts when you do that?!" Sehun yells, voice thick with sarcasm and completely unfazed by the fact that they're in the most crowded place in the whole campus right now, and everyone is staring at them because of his ridiculous outburst.
Jongin doesn't respond immediately, because among the pairs of questioning eyes, he finally catches Tao's in a booth at the very back of the cafe.
Surprisingly, he isn't crying, and there's a blonde man sitting opposite him, which Jongin is sure that he's the 'Canadian basketball prodigy with a body sweeter than maple syrup' the girls in his class talk about all the time.

"Of course it does. Why would I hit you if it doesn't hurt?" Jongin shoves Sehun again to make his point, then makes his way to Tao and the transfer student, ignoring the judging glares and quiet mutters ('Freshmen causing a scene again. I swear they get more bratty every year.') from the people around.

"Hey Tao. Sorry for the wait, your cousin pulled another brainless act in front of our professor, you know, Doc Vulture, and he got held behind."

"Not my problem if he can't take a joke, that old bird needs to learn to loosen up. Speaking of birds, who's your Angry Bird lookalike friend?" Sehun catches up from behind Jongin and sends a curious glance towards the blonde male sitting beside Tao.
Jongin mentally facepalms himself; actually, he thinks he might be doing it physically too.
He considers skipping afternoon labs to take Sehun for a brain scan after this, but he's certain they'll find that there's nothing inside the space between his ears, so probably not.

"I'm sorry, Sehun is mentally challenged. I'm Kim Jongin by the way, Sehun's best friend, and I can assure you I'm nothing like him and I have no idea why I put up with him for the last thirteen years." Jongin extends his right hand at the blonde while stamping on Sehun's foot with his boot under the table, and sneaks a wry smile at a very red looking Tao.
Jongin decides to provide some sort of comfort for his friend, who looks like he's praying for the ground to swallow him up, and pats him between the shoulder blades where he knows Tao likes it.
The blonde stares at Jongin and Sehun blankly, before standing up and awkwardly taking Jongin's hand for a handshake.

"It's... okay? I'm Wu Yifan, Zitao's roommate." Yifan has a crooked smile on his face, and he's eyeing Jongin warily.
Jongin doesn't blame him; not when he has a best friend like Oh Sehun (who's rolling on the ground crying 'Murder! Bloody murder!')

"Well then, I'll be going. I was just keeping Zitao company because I saw him sitting alone. Nice to finally meet you, Jongin... And you too, Sehun." Yifan gives a bad chuckle before making a beeline towards the other end of the cafe.
Jongin watches the tall lanky man disappear into the crowds before taking a seat next to Tao.

"So you talk behind our backs with your little heartthrob huh?" Jongin grins and removes his hand from Tao's back, and Tao jumps up immediately and starts babbling.

"No! I didn't say anything bad about you, honest! Although I did mention you saying Sehun smells though, but t-that's not a bad thing because Sehun actually smells so I wasn't saying you were lying! But Hun-ah I swear that's the only thing I said about you okay, I really didn't-"

"Hey, chill out Princess, I admit that my smell is too fab for you to even comprehend, but it's okay." Sehun snorts and slides into the booth opposite his cousin and Jongin.
Jongin rolls his eyes and decides to ignore Sehun's comment; it's for the best, because he might just trigger even more stupidity inside Sehun.

"Anyway, Sehun embarrassing you in front of your crush aside, what's up?"

"Oh, hmm... I got into the basketball team! And oh, oh! Guess what! I'm in the line-up for the games on Saturday! Will you guys come and watch?" Tao smiles brightly, giving a small clap with his hands.
It's been a long time since Jongin's seen him that excited, the last time being their family plus Jongin visiting his hometown in China a whole decade ago, and Jongin's genuinely happy for his friend.

"Sorry, but I have a date with, ehem, my boyfriend. Ooooooh buuuuuuuurrrrrnn." Sehun cackles and wriggles his fingers at Jongin and Tao.
Jongin raises his eyebrow at his best friend, then promptly slaps his hands away.
Suddenly, Sehun widens his eyes at Jongin, and his jaw drops.

", Jongin, I totally forgot."
Oh great, what is it this time?, Jongin sighs and runs his hand through his platinum blonde hair; you can always count on Sehun to forget things, especially the important ones.

"What now?"

"Magmar called your phone this morning when you were out there cooking breakfast. He asked about where you were and why you haven't replied to his texts. I'm supposed to tell you that he wants to come visit on Saturday with Jigglypuff and their spawn... Sorry, I forgot."
Jongin rolls his eyes for the umpteenth time that day, and leans forward so he can flick Sehun in the forehead.
He hates it when Sehun starts comparing people to pokemon; sadly, once he gets started he'll go on a roll, and it'll take a while for him to stop.

"Sehun, first of all please refrain from comparing my family to pokemon. My brother prefers 'Jongdae hyung', and my brother-in-law does not appreciate you implying he looks chubby, thank you very much."

"Yeah, Minie hyung already lost a lot of weight from taking care of Cupcake..." Tao makes the mistake of speaking up.
Jongin sees what's coming next, and he knows he should have warned his best friend, but really, Sehun's kinda asking for it.

"Shut up, Pancham."

"No you shut up... B-2."
Plus, it shuts Sehun up pretty well.

 

 

Author's Note:

hands up who guessed Jongin's brother is Jongdae?? :P

Kim Jongin, Kim Jongdae, so yeah lol.

And for those of you who don't know your pokemon...

SHAME ON YOU WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING IN YOUR CHILDHOOD

Ehem. Lucky for you, here are some pics...

 

Magmar

 

Jigglypuff (the one on the right, lol)

 Pancham and B-2 (Sehun the vegetable lookalike)