Chapter 1

Hearts and Brains

"Oh Sehun."

"Yah! Oh Sehun!"

"Get up will you!"
Sehun groans as the unpleasant cold air engulfs him.
Like every other morning, he wakes up to his covers being yanked off him and Jongin's charming voice.

"You are not sleeping in, you hear me? I'm sick of going to class alone and you copying my notes when you finally decide that you're hungry enough to get up. Just because we do the same course doesn't mean I have to do all the work when you're too lazy to get your out of bed."

"You're too noisy Kkamjong..." Sehun groans as he curls tighter in on himself and glares at Jongin with one eye cracked open.

"I wouldn't be if you actually bothered to set an alarm for yourself instead of having me come in and physically haul you out of bed... Like this!" Jongin grabs onto Sehun's ankles without warning and pulls with all his strength, and the next second Sehun lands ungracefully with a loud thud on the floor.

"There. Out of bed. Morning sunshine." Jongin says with a sarcastic undertone, then stalks out of the room with his hands on his hips.

"..." Sehun grumbles and pushes himself up with his hands.
He knows he'll thank Jongin later, but he can't help with his bad morning temper.
Thankfully, being his best friend of fifteen years and now housemate, he knows Jongin is already used to it.

"I heard that!" Jongin's voice sounds from the kitchen, along with cabinet doors slamming and pans clinking.

"And I don't care!" Sehun shouts back, then stomps into the bathroom to wash up groggily.
He doesn't need Jongin's nagging this early in the morning.
Funny, that's what Jongin says about his sass too.

 

Jongin wonders how he's best friends with Oh Sehun for this long.
Or how he even ended up becoming friends with him in the first place.
The first words Sehun said to Jongin were 'I'll only play with you if you hold two spoons', and his reasoning was 'Because you look like Alakazam, duh'.
In third grade, Jongin came home to Sehun munching on the chocolate he bought with the money he had been saving for weeks and discreetly told Sehun he was going to give to his crush on Valentine's day.
In sixth grade, Sehun made Jongin buy him ice cream because he sat on the latter's brand-new glasses and he needed 'compensation for giving him a period and damaging his pride as a man'.
In middle school, Sehun dragged Jongin along to his dancing lesson despite his protests, then ignored him for two days because his teacher loved Jongin's physique so much.
In high school, Jongin failed PE because Sehun had used a wax strip on his left leg in his sleep on April Fool's, and there's no way he's going through the pain again or wearing shorts to show off his patchy left leg.
And now Sehun is stealing food off his plate even though he knows Jongin skipped lunch.

"Why does other people's food always taste better?" Sehun sighs with wonder as he swipes another fry off Jongin's plate.

"Yeah. I wonder why." Jongin deadpans, pulling his plate back so it's out of Sehun's reach.

"Aw come on Jongin, sharing is caring." Sehun picks his fork up and uses it as an extended hand to steal yet another fry from Jongin.
Jongin widens his eyes and rolls them in disbelief.

"Why do I put up with your crap?" Jongin mumbles and gives up, shoving his plate towards the brunette boy.
Sehun has the nerve to lean forward with a cheeky grin while making disgusting chewing noises and showing Jongin the mushed up fries in his mouth.

"Because you luuuurrrrrve me."
Jongin sighs.
It's true.
No matter how much Sehun gets on his nerves intentionally or unintentionally, Jongin never gets mad at him for real.
Because underneath all the mischief and childishness, lies a kind and caring heart.
There's the Sehun who catches and frees spiders, no matter how big they are, instead of whacking them to death.
There's the Sehun who puts his phone ringer on max when he goes to sleep in case someone, anyone needs him, even if it's a 'poor telemarketer trying to do his job'.
There's the Sehun who insists walking on other people's left because he thinks the right hand side is lucky.
There's the Sehun who goes and learns Chinese when his uncle and aunt adopt a boy from China who doesn't speak a word of Korean so he can communicate with him.
And there's the Sehun who checks on and adjusts Jongin's covers when he goes for the bathroom at night so he won't catch a cold.
Jongin doesn't need Sehun to tell him he's there for him to know that.
He feels it.
And that's why Sehun is his best friend.

"Hey, you do realize you're gaining weight right? Especially your ." Jongin's playful self returns, and he leans back comfortably in his chair as he watches Sehun attack the rest of his fries.

"Well excuse you! I'm trying to help you stay fit here by consuming these nasty carbs for you, and here you are calling me fat while I sacrifice myself so you can wear skinny jeans without worrying about how big your looks. You're one ungrateful little worm, Kim Jongin." Sehun reaches over and grabs Jongin's thin wrist, shaking it around to make his point.

"Who are you kidding Sehun? We all know I have superhuman metabolism and I don't gain weight easily at all, unlike someone..."

"Real men have curves!"

"So do hippos." Jongin chuckles.

"Hmpf. At least I can lose weight. But you, you'll never be beautiful like me, Pokeface."
Sehun never fails to let him knows he's loved, Jongdae smiles dryly.

 

 

Author's Note:

If you dunno what Alakazam looks like, here's a picture...

 

 

A real Jongin lookalike, don't you think? Luls