Attic

A Changkyu Collection


“You know, you're really something,” Changmin says in a slight monotone after placing an old picture frame inside of a box. He sounds indifferent on the outside, sounds like he's unaffected; like he could just casually tell his best friend he's more than what the world thinks. There's a silence, and Changmin's already erratic heartbeat sputters and screams in his chest, making his insides curl with uncertainty and doubt. 

Kyuhyun stays quiet, looks at some book that needs to go into their box of “Changmin and Kyuhyun's Summer Adventures”, to be pushed away in darkness of the attic before the new school year begins. 

The book is tossed into the box and Kyuhyun wipes his hands clean of dust on his pants. There's no eye contact, nothing at all, and Changmin wonders if Kyuhyun had heard him at all. He wants to reach out and tell his best friend just how special he is to him, wants to smother him with so much love he can't stand it. But the world is just too small and Changmin thinks this attic is even smaller. 

The sun shines through the window and lands on Kyuhyun, illuminating his face and Changmin can see him shine brighter than anything else.

Kyuhyun stretches and yawns, finally looking at Changmin. “Did you say something?”

Changmin shakes his head and continues packing away their childhood into the cardboard box.