Childhood

Remember

When Yura was 6, her father has passed away, leaving her and her mother to struggle to feed themselves through constant jobs. Unlike her father, a hopeless drunk who barely came home twice a week and provides them only enough money to pass by, Yura’s mother was a beautiful woman with self-confidence and determination. She was a sweet lady whose only mistake in life was to get married with a man like Yura’s father at the age of 19, only to be abused. However, Yura only has her mother to thank, as her ability to handle about three jobs earned them enough money to send her to school.

            Yura had remembered enjoying schoolife immensely. She was a perfect; good grade, good looks and many friends. The only thing she was lacking, though, was money. So it was not a surprise to her when Yura’s small family sunk to poverty and she was expelled from school. She was 12 when she took on many odd jobs to help her mother earn money. The rest of her life was a blur from then on, and the only other thing she could remember was the accident.

            When Yura turned 16, her mother had brought her to a fancy restaurant as a special treat for her hard work. Her mother had admitted she felt guilty for not being able to send her only daughter to university and only being able to afford up until high school. In other words, she was a middle school dropout and a discontinued high school student. She had remembered hugging her mother tightly, saying it was alright, and they had the best night ever.

            After a splendid dinner, Yura stood outside of the restaurant, waiting for her mother to come out of the toilet. It was a foggy night and it was hard to see the direction she was walking. The only thing she remembered after that was a loud yell, and the sound of a car crashing before the whole world turned black.

            After recovering from the accident, her mother had left for a job in America as a secretary for a clothing company and promised she would support Yura with half of her earned amount every month. Yura had opened a small candy shop and was now financially stable.

            No matter how much she tried, Yura can’t seem to shake of the feeling that she was missing a huge part of her life. Sure, she had gotten permanent amnesia as a consequence of the accident but every time she asked her mother about her missing memories, she would stiffen and refuse to answer. She tried her best to remember but to no avail. It was even weirder that, after the accident, Yura felt empty, like something was seriously missing in her life.

            Although quite a large quantity of time passed, Yura still couldn’t help but trail of in time trying to revive her memories, wondering if that empty space in her life would be filled.