Unlucky Day

Lucky

Today is October 14, and it has been a very bad day for Minseok.

He forgot to do his homework in History. He forgot that they’ll be having a long quiz in Algebra and wasn’t able to study resulting to an hour of uninterrupted daydreaming and an empty test questionnaire. He tripped on his way to his locker, and his PE teacher shouted at him after kicking the ball too strong and it landed at a house with two, huge dogs after it flew across the school’s walls. Minseok had to gather his strength and retrieve the ball before the dogs came for him. Lastly, Minseok’s wallet got lost, and he had to walk home.

Minseok sighed.

Today is his unlucky day.

“Aish,” Minseok muttered at a stone on the road which he kicked after it rolled away from the path he’s taking. “Stupid stone.” Now, he’ll be walking without a stone to kick.

Minseok walked with his head face-down, trying to locate a stone to kick but after sometime, he saw a shadow along the road in front of him. “Eh?”

Minseok looked up.

Minseok’s heart started to beat fast, his breath became uneven as he looked at the boy’s back who is walking in front of him. Luhan?

Luhan is his hoobae, but he knew him so well because Minseok liked Luhan since fourth grade (and the younger was in third grade). Actually, Minseok likes Luhan. Yes, until now. His feelings never changed.

Doe eyes, sculpted nose, dazzling smile, soft hair, and perfect skin, who will not like Luhan?

But Minseok never courted Luhan. He believes that Luhan is way too perfect for him. He’s got chubby cheeks, an awkward smile, and not as bright and welcoming as Luhan’s aura. They’re the complete opposite of each another.

Minseok noticed the younger’s shoulder shaking, as if the boy’s crying. Worried yet uncertain, he approached his hoobae, “Hey, are you okay?” Luhan looked up and Minseok saw the boy’s red eyes b with tears.

Minseok’s heart dropped as he looked at Luhan’s eyes filled with pain and sadness. He immediately felt that he wanted to comfort Luhan even if he knew that Luhan does not know him. The boy held the younger’s hand and said “What happened?”

“Minseok hyung?” Luhan asked between sobs.

Minseok’s heart leaped with joy. Luhan knows Minseok.

But the joy was short-lived as Luhan cried, this time loudly.

“What happened? Why are you crying? Maybe hyung can help you out.” Minseok genuinely smiled.

Luhan was silent. Sobbing continuously as they walked on their way home, as if he’s asking himself if he can trust Minseok or not.

After some time, Luhan confided.

“Hyung,” Luhan sniffed, “Sehun and I had a fight. You know Sehun, right? Oh Sehun?”

“Y-yes, of course. He’s your… your boyfriend, am I right?” Minseok tried to sound calm but he knew he failed. He knew that Luhan is taken by Sehun that’s why he kept distance from the boy. Sehun is a smart, handsome boy who is Luhan’s classmate and he’s nowhere from competing to that guy.

Luhan nodded and wiped his tears away. “Ever since Sehun became class president, he became bossy and dead-serious about everything. I would understand if he’s only like that to our class because that’s what presidents do, but no, he’s also like that when we’re together. He does not cuddle anymore, he does not want to be touched, heck, he does not even want to have with me.”

Minseok’s eyes widened. “You—what?”

Luhan laughed even though tears are rolling on his face, “I’m just joking. I will never have outside marriage. I’m just trying to see if you are really listening.”

Minseok laughed as well, “I’m sorry.”

“That’s fine”, Luhan smiled and Minseok only saw what appeared to be an angel smiling in front of him.

Awkward silence followed, so Minseok broke the ice between them. “So, ehrm, what happened?”

“As I’ve said, he’s been aloof so I confronted him a while ago, and he… he shouted at me. I’ve never felt so humiliated.” And Luhan began crying. Minseok saw himself hugging Luhan.

“Stop crying.” Minseok said, “You look ugly when you cry.” And it made Luhan laughed.

“I’m sorry for letting you witness my ugliness, Minseok hyung.” Luhan hugged Minseok tighter.

And Minseok shared funny stories for Luhan until they reached home.

That night, as Minseok was doing their assignments, he realized that today is his lucky day.