Twenty Four.

My Beautiful Nightmare

“Chanyeol hyung.” Sehun’s voice was tight but quiet, an attempt at composure. I wasn't even close to composed, a sputtering mess would be more accurate.

“W-w-what did he j-just-?!” I pointed a finger at the sunbae, half from shock and then dumbfoundedness; a part of me was still reeling, not ready to believe what just happened. But proof existed right in Chanyeol’s golden eyes, then in the lingering tingles of warmth on my mouth that pricked when I looked at him. Without a word he slowly released his grip on me. I could feel the imprint of his touch, a feverish kind of warmth.

Sehun stepped between us. “What was that about?” He asked flatly. The cloudy daze in Chanyeol’s eyes seemed to start clearing. Maybe his mind really had been elsewhere, which didn’t make any sense or dampen my rise of fury.  

He kissed me!    Your friend ing kissed me! Internally I wanted to howl the words, maybe bang a table for emphasis. A definite dramatic reaction, but in the moment it felt like I had plenty reason.

My first kiss. My first kiss, from someone I don’t even know...he doesn’t even know me!

It took a moment for Chanyeol to collect himself. In contrast to Sehun’s rigidness he looked confused, if not bewildered. “I was looking for Lay. I heard you guys talking and that there was trouble-” His eyes drifted to me for a couple stray seconds. The warm tingles shot up to my face.

“What trouble?” I blurted, too flustered for politeness. I whipped around to Sehun. “What were you guys talking about?”

“Nothing,” He said, eyes pinned on his friend “He must’ve heard us wrong. Everything’s fine.” But the tense set of his jaw said otherwise.

It made my next words impulsive “Why did his eyes change color?” Sehun said nothing right away. Chanyeol was equally mute, but as if he was not comprehending. Then a look of astonishment grew on his face so severe I wasn’t sure he would stay standing.

“No ing way.” He breathed.

“W-what?” I stammered, glaring at the cuss.

Chanyeol slowly raised a finger at me, his lips twitching. It took a while before he made a coherent word. “You’re-!” He managed, his ears going red. I could only stare back, utterly baffled.

He was definitely out of the daze now, but only to look more confused than I was. He suddenly bolted to the nurse’s desk, snatching the standing mirror in his hands. For a couple seconds he stared unblinkingly at the reflection, the new person made from the fiery golden orbs.

“Hyung,” The edge in Sehun’s voice was gone, replaced with something I couldn’t really identify. Wariness? Guilt? “I can explain.”

Well please do!

“How’s this happening? It was only supposed to be-” Chanyeol’s gaze flickered to me, bright and alluring all on their own. I couldn’t tell if it was awe or horror driving his words. “She’s-, you’re the girl.”

“W-what girl?!” I blurted, raising my hands defensively “I didn’t do anything! It just happened when you-” when you kissed me! The words died away but a part of him caught the meaning, the evidence growing along with a brief tint of pink in his cheeks. Even so it felt like the weight of the kiss was being dulled by this new dilemma, somehow related to the color change.

“This keeps happening when I’m around.” I said slowly, moreso to myself than them both. The weight of the words really started to hit, making my stomach twist with a new feeling. Unease. “How do you guys keep changing your eye color? What does it mean?”  

Chanyeol’s conflict reflected freely in these new eyes, knowledge and secrets flashing unintelligibly to me. But his mouth shut as quickly as it opened at the prodding. Sehun’s face had better composure, but his gaze was hardening. A wall being cast up to hide whatever was within.

This is supposed to be a secret. I realized. One that has something to do with me.

I wasn’t going to get a straight answer. Not if I didn’t push.

The sound of footsteps shattered the tense moment. The nurse came briskly through the doorway. Lay followed a couple paces behind, his soaked uniform in a bag. Suddenly he halted, staring at the figure behind me. In realization I whipped around to follow.

Chanyeol was looking at the nurse, his eyes now brown and entirely normal.

“You’re still here? Finish drying off or you’ll be late!” The nurse said, propping a metre stick onto her desk. Probably having just finished prying it out of the gym teacher’s hands. The triumph didn’t seem to brighten her mood. She took note of Chanyeol: “Did you need towels too?”

Despite being thrown off, he answered quickly: “No.”

The warning bell for first period sounded.

“You guys will be late.” She sighed, settling in her chair. “Go quickly, I can’t write you all late slips.” For a moment it was quiet.

“Yes ma’am.” Said Sehun. I bowed silently to her, grabbing my bag and stalking out the door. As soon as I was through Lay was at my heels, suddenly particularly attentive.

“Is everything okay?” He asked quietly.

I should be asking you that question. You were completely distracted 5 minutes ago.

“Lena?” He tried again. I nodded stiffly, keeping a quick pace. My head wasn’t lowered like normal and my expression wasn’t so neutral like normal, so people were noticing. Even though Lay was just at my side, and Sehun and maybe Chanyeol were just a couple steps behind, I was the one leading us through the crowd. Everyone made way the way they would for any other kingka or queenka, creating a ripple effect down the corridor as we passed by.

It didn’t feel as great as I thought it would. Golden eyes could really be a mood killer.

“What happened while I was gone?”

“I have no idea sunbae-nim.” I replied stoically, but it was the truth. Lay didn’t speak again, maybe feeling the bite of my sudden formality. I could sense him exchanging glances with his friends. They had a habit of doing that, staring at each other as if it was enough to have a whole conversation. Probably a kingka group thing.

Fine. Go ahead and speak in stupid eye code. See if that helps the situation.

I was close to fuming by the time we reached the classroom. To makes things all the better a figure was already at door, relaxed and waiting, much to the pleasure of those filing in. His eyes cast up as we approached, a dark sea of unseeming brown.

“Lena.” Kai murmured with a half smile. Not a speck of his composure fazed, like someone innocent.

“Good morning,” you jerk. I meant to continue right past him, but of course luck was not on my side.

“Wait.” Sehun said, catching my bag. His height made him a looming figure over my shoulder. A couple heads inside the room turned at us. Some immediately beginning to whisper, others smirked.

“Class is going to start.” I said lowly, silently willing him to let me go. The hand didn’t budge.

“This will only take a second.” With a couple tugs he had us back outside and in a nearby corner. I took a breath to remain calm, crossing my arms over my chest.

“Are you going to explain what’s going on?” I asked quietly.

“What do you mean?” Lay said. His voice sounded concerned. Was it for me, or was it to make himself less suspicious?

“The eye color change.” I looked across them slowly, noting every gaze for changes “You all can make your eyes yellow. How?” As expected my response was abrupt silence. They didn’t look at each other directly, but they were probably hoping someone else would start the conversation.

Well if you guys are going to be like that...

I let my arms drop to my sides, then started heading for the door.  

“Wait-” Kai took a step in my path, holding a hand out to stop me. A prick of satisfaction hit me when he didn’t actually touch my arm. He was being careful, good. “We still need to talk.”

“About what?” I said curtly.

Kai’s stare remained intent “Did you notice anything weird on your way here?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Think about it carefully.”

“W-well what do you mean ‘weird’?” This tangent in conversation is weird. Your ability to have FREAKING GOLDEN COLORED IRISES IS WEIRD.

They were all waiting in a way that almost seemed expectant. Even Chanyeol, who hadn’t said a word since back at the infirmary was taking note. It was like there was something important I was supposed to have noticed, but I didn’t have the faintest idea of what they were talking about. All that was in my head were the golden eyes; I thought that was the main issue here.

“A person, someone who looked out of place.” Kai meant to say it evenly, but warning signals pricked up in my head.

Lay immediately cut in “It’s just someone we know. I thought I’d seen him nearby when you were coming in.” I thought I caught something in his eyes when he said that, but just as soon as it was there it disappeared.

“If you didn’t notice anyone then it’s fine. We were just checking.” Sehun added, the stiffness in his jaw gone. Without it his expression was simply neutral, a blank look that I could find nothing invoking to convince me.

“I…I don’t believe that.” I said quietly. Indignation was wretching my gut to demand an explanation for the question, for this entire morning too. I had come back from my vacation only to be dragged onto a whole new level of weird, and first period hadn’t even started yet. The wallflower in me ached for a time out, and as things stood it was definitely winning out.

“Uh, I think I’m just going to go into class.” I mumbled, looking anywhere but at them directly. Bowing stiffly I turned towards the door.

“Wait-” A hand caught my arm, almost searing with heat. Instinctively I shied away, a shallow gasp escaping my lips. Chanyeol remained still, his hand hovering in the air where it touched me. We stared at each other for a moment, wide eyed and shocked.

His expression instantly turned apologetic and horrified “I’m so sorry-”

“Your hand is burning hot.” I blurted. I’d never felt a heat like that come from a person before; a part of me almost questioned whether I’d mistakened it. It couldn’t be natural, not even a sick person couldn’t be that hot. The guys reanimated instantly. Kai was suddenly in front of me, guiding me away from the sunbaes.

“Let’s go inside.” He didn’t hesitate to herd me towards the door. Sehun was close behind, quiet but equally as pressing just by presence. Lay stayed with Chanyeol, maybe ready to lead him away too. The three worked quickly, but I had seen enough: Chanyeol’s gaze had been wavering. I couldn’t mistake the trace residue of gold his irises, a flame threatening to overcome them again. It wasn’t just horror that I saw; he had paled a little as if, he knew he had just done something, and it was a mistake.

The thought could be almost disturbing, and yet I was beginning to get the feeling this group was about to get an unprecedented addition of one.

 

“Lena.” Sehun called. You were in your desk, seemingly wrapped up in english homework. Your eyes didn’t leave the page, scanning each line as though you were calmly and earnestly studying. If only your heart would beat at a rate as convincing.

“I’m going to stay here today and catch up. You guys should go without me.”

“But it’s lunch.” Kai poked in lightly, placing your bag on the ground as he sat in the partnered desk. Almost imperceptibly, he caught your heart rate spike.

“Hey she noticed me.”

“Kai.” Sehun warned.

The said person smiled a little, placing a sandwich on the corner of your desk, then a burger: “We grabbed some food.” your eyes lifted, landing on the meal. “I didn’t know what you wanted. Pick one.”

“No thank you.” You said quietly, and to Kai’s displeasure formally. Without a chair Sehun kneeled in front of the desk, scanning your face with his usual neutral expression; he sensed the shift in behaviour too.

“Did you pack something to eat?” He asked

You bit the inner part of your lip, flipping a page “Yes.”

“Liar.” Kai said impulsively. You looked at him from the corner of your eye. Partially from surprise then irritation he picked up on it.

“If these aren’t what you want I could grab something else.” Sehun spoke “What do you like to eat?”

You shook your head “You don’t need to. I’m just not hungry.”

Or maybe, Kai thought idly she thinks it’s better to never owe a kingka.

“How do we know you’re not lying again?” He pondered out loud.

“I’m not.” You said evenly, setting your pen down.

Kai crossed his arms, resting his head on top of them “Liar.”

You raised your chin a little, looking him in the eyes “If I am then so are you.” It was said quietly, but the words, your gaze, all of reached into his chest and twisted hard.

It took him a while before he could speak next: “Not saying anything isn’t the same as lying.” Your eyes widened a fraction. There it was, an admittance. Not saying the truth, but acknowledging that there was something hidden.

“What you saw, it’s not easy to explain.” Sehun said slowly. It surprised Kai that he didn’t stop him from provoking the fire, but was rolling with it.

“You could try,” You said, looking between them. “I don’t get how I’m supposed to trust you both or Lay with the secret or, or just weird things happening.”

“We can’t really do that right now. We’re still trying to figure it out ourselves.” Kai said quietly.

You took a breath, “Do I have a part in all this?”  

The question made him sigh, but Sehun was in his head before he could speak again.

“Say nothing Kai.”

“Then she’ll start avoiding us, maybe even walk right into that vamp.” Kai retorted. It was like the vampire had disappeared the moment he’d entered the school. Lay had already given word to Suho, but the damage was done. The Creature had made his message clear: if he wanted to do something he could. In Kai’s eyes, he had just promised to. “This is not the time to back track. We need to stay close, so she needs to be comfortable having us around.”

“So telling her some crazed vampire is out to kill her because he hates wolves is going to help?”  

“Okay,” You spoke as the silence stretched “if you can’t tell me then I want to try to catch up on my assignments.” Please leave. The rest of the message read clear.

“We can’t.” Sehun said.

Out of your field of notice Kai raised a brow at him: “So you can be blunt and I can’t?”

Instead of responding, Sehun pulled a nearby chair in front of your desk. He crossed his arms, some of the neutrality in his expression lessening. If the situation wasn’t so tricky he might have tried smiling.

“We need to start that history project.”

You bit your lip. In an instant Kai could read distress: you were caught off guard by the switch in topic, you didn’t know how to dodge it.

Sehun knew it too. He placed the sandwich on your notebook, then picked up the pen. “Eat a little and we can start brainstorming.” You watched his hands, saying nothing but not disagreeing either. Kai took a bite out of the burger, chewing thoughtfully. In the span of days he had found out a lot about you by just looking. It wasn’t hard, to him you had a face like an open book. Anyone paying real attention could see that, so it’d be bad if someone cunning tried to take advantage of it.

I guess...I’ll have to keep watching you for the time being.

“Can you at least explain this morning?” You asked quiety. Your stomach was an empty pit but you wouldn’t dare break the plastic wrap. It’d be giving in to their peace offering. “Who was the person Lay saw?”

“No one important.” There was an undertone of firmness in Sehun’s voice. Like someone who was so sure and trustworthy. You tried to find a tell tale sign of truth in his facial expression. Seeing something other than his neutral look was rare, but you wanted to regardless. “Just someone we know. Lay thought he might’ve seen him walk in at the same time as you.” He explained.

“Do I know him?”

“No. You don’t want to either Lena.” Kai interjected. The warning was clear enough. This isn’t a friend.

A shiver of anxiety slid down your spine. Kingkas and queenkas were supposed to be the powerful ones; trying to oppose either group was ridiculous, their fan groups plenty enough to tear any threat to shreds. Unless the opponent was just as strong, if not stronger.

“If you guys don’t like him, you can avoid him.” You said quietly, closing your hands into fists under the table. “Why look for him?”

“We wanted to talk.” Sehun said, crossing his arms over the edge of your desk. His frame was broad, and the wrinkles in his blazer hinted at muscle. More lean than bulky, and definitely not something built from tv and video games. Hari once dated a guy with a similar form. He had been a kick-boxer. The similarity made your thoughts spiral.

Maybe the guy was a boxing buddy… or a human punching bag. Oh god don’t tell me these guys actually act like a gang. Wait, what if they KNOW gangs?! Do kingkas actually deal with those kinds of people? I’m too young to be around the mafia or-

“You still there?” Kai said half-jokingly, waving a hand in front of your face. You fought the reflex to flinch.

Of course I am jerk, no thanks to your help!

The idea there could be more to the situation, more to them then just the popular outer shell everyone knew was the single thing keeping you in place. Apparently you had a part in this too, and it was equally an incentive to stay as it was an incentive to ditch everything and run for the hills.   

Both Sehun and Kai stayed put with you right until the end of lunch. The entire time there was no word from Lay or Chanyeol, unless their weird silent communication method worked through walls.

Just what are they trying to prove by doing this? You wondered, your gaze flickering between each figure in your peripherals. Dark thoughts swarmed your head, painting pictures of thugs in leather jackets, metal chains, and scars.

Who were they looking for, and why was that person around me?

You now had a reason for Lay’s absentmindedness this morning, but it was just leaving you with more questions and an uneasy twist in you gut. The way the kingkas were being evasive kicked your anxiety up a couple notches too.

Eventually people began to trickle back into the room and the buzz of noise resurfaced. With them a few different faces emerged, not unfamiliar but definitely not what you had in mind.

Mun hee crossed her arms at the doorway, a smile on her lips. You couldn’t gauge the amount sincerity in it. “So this was where you guys were.”

A second figure popped up next to her. At the sight of the kingkas she beamed, and your stomach gave an abrupt drop “Hi oppa-deul!” Seol greeted, cheerful as she walked in. The heels clicked a hint louder as a pair, and your heart match the sound in a new anxious tempo. Seol’s eyes landed on you, and you could see her smile slightly freeze, maybe from surprise. Maybe from fear of what hurting you was going to cost her in this situation.

“We weren’t hiding.” Kai grinned, but that was only a response to Mun hee’s comment. Sehun was still stoic faced, but the temperature seemed to drop a couple degrees around him; the ice prince was about to arrive. You bore holes into your notebook, silently praying you were going to make it home alive.

“We looked for you guys in the cafeteria, but I guess you just stayed here.” Seol continued, her eyes switching between either kingka expectantly. “Studying? What subject?”

“Nothing in particular.” Kai said shortly. In his chair he shifted, angling himself towards your desk. It was subtle, but you could sense a message: disinterest.

Seol remained undeterred. “We should totally do a study group. It’ll be great for exams.” She offered brightly, gesturing to the notes.

“Probably a good plan, some of us might need the grade booster.” Mun Hee grinned, her eyes trailing to a small circle of boys across the room.

Jae Hwa’s voice immediately rose up “No need to mention me! I already know!” He earned a rise of laughter from his group.

Seol latched onto the momentum, her tone getting more confident: “I also know some teachers who are giving out sets of practice questions. They won’t mind making some extra copies for us. Oh we could even get Tao oppa and D.O oppa in on this too-”

“Those are first year teachers.” Sehun intervened “Their material wouldn’t be helpful for second year classes.”

“Not all of them are, I’ve been fast tracking some classes.” Seol was quick to explain, almost bashful from the indirect self complements “A lot of them in this term especially, it’s not even that difficult. Anyways, the practice will definitely be good. Besides it’ll go smoother if we work together.”

Kai looked across the group, particularly at the first years, his lips in a half smile “But most of the time you guys end up slacking off.”

“No way oppa,” Seol laughed, thinking he was teasing, finally giving her attention. Kai fiddled with his phone, his smile morphing into a smirk.

“You sure? I heard those study groups usually turn into clubbing trips.”   

Immediately Seol’s face went pink. A couple boys snickered from behind, but it wasn’t a shocking statement. Kingkas and Queenkas had their reputations in academics and extracurriculars to care about, but more than a few had shadows trailing them. Stories of their other habits and favourite things to do. A common one was partying (which was probably why school dances ended up so legendary). “We were taking a break. Besides Exo always ends up there before we even showed up.” Seol pointed out.

Kai was quick to counter: “Maybe half of the time, but I doubt we’ve been to as many spots as you guys.” The gleam in his eyes was sly. “Your breaks must’ve lasted some time.” Some of the girls and boys behind her were left sputtering amidst the whispers and giggles of the classroom, waiting for their leader to give the proper defense. But Seol was mute, embarrassed in front of her favorite kingka. Sehun didn’t even look up from the notes, no comment to give to the interaction. He didn’t find this habit of hers very charming.

Mun Hee stepped in, abruptly starting a side conversation to end the original, “Hey you’ve been gone for a while Lena-shii” It took a moment to hit she was actually talking to you. Then you nearly choked on saliva.

“M-me?” A QUEENKA was trying to make friendly conversation with you. The wallflower.

“Yeah, it’s been about a week right?” She smiled pleasantly. Seol on the other hand looked like she was having trouble keeping her face composed. “What happened?”

“I was visiting family.” You croaked. Of course this is the moment my voice was going to fail me.

“Aw, that must’ve been fun. Did you leave the city?”

Wow. So this is what a queenka’s voice sounded like when she wasn’t pissed, yelling, or fawning over a boy. You thought in a half dazed, the other half was high strung, keenly aware of the queenka before you.

You gave a stiff nod, robotical. “We went on a trip.”

Somewhere along the way the surrounding conversations had dwindled, people slowly turning to listen to the pod of kingkas and queenkas speak. You could feel their stares on your back, curious, and unconsciously ready to catch a slip up. You rubbed your palms on your knees and felt your face begin to heat.

“Where’d you guys go?” Mun Hee prodded, almost like how a teacher would a child.

“Japan.” You uttered as quietly as you dared. More than half the class probably heard regardless.

“Wow it must be great around this time of year!” Jae Hwa swooped in from his desk, raising a brow at you. “Even better to buy souvenirs.”

“As if she bought you something.” Kai teased, stirring up a couple laughs.

Jae Hwa immediately jumped to defense “After all the support and enthusiasm I bring to this class it’s only natural to hope for some kind of token of gratitude-”

He halted as a candy bar flew into his face. It took a few seconds of fumbling before he caught it, then Jae Hwa stared flabbergasted at Sehun.

“There’s our share. Go collect the rest from the others.” Sehun murmured. The corner of his mouth was upturned the tiniest hint. A smirk.

The class filled with laughter and chatter, mostly teasing Jae Hwa. The earlier tension had slid by, momentarily forgotten. It was a relief for the queenkas; Mun Hee kept it running as Seol stood by, the same smile on her face as her gaze flickered from the kingkas to the conversation.

In a couple seconds the smirk on Sehun’s face disappeared, replaced by its usual indifference. You stared a couple seconds longer at the youngest kingka. Too long, because his sensed it, and when he looked up at you the corners of his lips upturned again. This time a smile meant only for you to see.    

~~~