Thirteen.

My Beautiful Nightmare

 

As it turned out, having lunch with them didn't consist of a crowded cafeteria with endless stares and awkward conversations. At least not the eating part.

“That was a bit, much.” Kai spoke under his breath. Sehun didn't bother to say anything and I neither did I. The three of us silently walked through the corridors, carrying our lunches in our hands.

Much would be an understatement Kai-sshi.  

What we had seen in the halls was nothing compared to us appearing in the crowded cafeteria. At first came the usual waves of excitement of the appearance of Exo members. It wasn't something I hadn't anticipated. At the sight of their stares I couldn't help but stiffen, my reflex to duck and escape quickly emerging. But then I didn't have to, because many of their fans came to a startlingly abrupt halt at the sight of me.

The entire time – from waiting in line, to choosing our meals, even when we paid – they were scrutinizing us to the extreme. Twice I nearly dropped the food in my hands from nervous anxiety.

Sehun caught my gaze, looking back over his shoulder. In my daze, both he and Kai drew farther ahead by a step. “We should of waited a bit before going.” He murmured, but from his expression he didn't seem too affected but what happened. Then again, he and his friends had to be used to this kind of things by now. Gripping my wrapped food a bit tightly I quickened my pace.

As if noticing, the two immediately diverged, making space for me. Ducking my head shyly I came into step between them. It hadn't seemed like any of their fans were downright furious with me, thankfully. Most seemed shocked and curious, but then again curiosity could lead to very...unpleasant things. Even as a wallflower I had heard enough to know.

“It was alright,” for now at least “uh, so where are we going now?”

“We were thinking of eating with Lay in the library,” Kai spoke first, already biting into an apple he had gotten. I nodded slowly, the image of the sunbae already popping up into my mind. Would his eyes still be gold?  Between the three he was the only one I had seen have golden eyes from the start.

Still, it was starting to feel like something that wasn't going to matter when they were involved.

The common area had a couple of students loitering around, but was otherwise quiet as we entered. Though that didn't mean people didn't look as we walked by. As we climbed one of the winding staircases, my eyes drifted up to the black ivory clock, it's silver hands moving silently across the scripted face. It was only a day ago that I was running past this place with them, and it was unwillingly. Now here I was walking around with Exo members like I was a part of their group or something.

I don't even know all of them. Hopefully people won't jump to that conclusion...

Once we reached the top the bookshelves began; at least a good three feet above my head and spanning all along either sides of the balcony. Each one filled to the absolute limit with books. The air was sweet and quiet here with the slight musk of ink and paper. I inhaled and sighed, already feeling a little better.

“Is he already here?”

“Yeah,” Sehun murmured, craning his neck to look through the rows. “He had said he already found a place to sit.”

“Is there a place to sit?” Kai did a full circle, leaning against the balcony railing to look at the rows of shelves on the other side of the room. “All I'm seeing is book shelves.”

“Did he say if there was a table?” I asked quietly “Were there plush chairs or plastic ones?” Both of them turned to look at me, and I fought the urge to squirm. Well that wasn't an odd question.

“He said they were comfortable, I don't know about a table though.” Sehun said after a moment. I turned, going into one of the rows.

“I think I might be able to find him. If we just go this way-” Neither of them protested, following me through the rows.

“You know where he is based off of that?” Kai asked.

“Well, I have an idea.” And it might be a very good idea, but I couldn't be absolutely sure. Either way he didn't need to know. In truth this place was very big. Many didn't bother venturing in here unless exams demanded for it or they were desperate. Even then, people didn't go very deep. At first glance it does seem overwhelming, but there's not only books here. A variety of long tables, vending machines, chairs, and antique lamps were spread across the area, though most remained deep within the rows of shelves. All through my first year I spent time going through this place; it was just so peaceful and relaxing here I ended up staying for hours, drinking canned coffee or juice while going over the romance section (which was beautifully extensive).

Sure enough, after a couple turns I recognized the brown haired sunbae. He sat alone in a cluster of plush seats, a shorter coffee table placed at the centre. With his untouched food in his hands he was looking around, as if surveying the area. Though at the sound of our approach he glanced up, directly locking gazes with me.

“Did you wait long?” Sehun asked. I made myself smile, bowing a bit before looking away. His eyes were brown.

Somehow I'm not happy that I was able to guess this. I'm not going figure out anything at this rate.

Immediately feeling awkward, I chose the closest seat and sat down. It just so happened to be directly across from him. Kai and Sehun took the seats on either side of mine. We were in a sort of square now, all facing each other.  

“No, I just got here.” Why did it feel like he was looking at me? Cautiously I tried lifting my gaze, but he was turned away, facing Sehun as he spoke. Abruptly I dropped my head, focusing on unwrapping my food as the conversation dwindled.

 

 

“This is a bit more awkward then I thought it would be.” Lay turned his head the slightest fraction, watching you take a bite into your sandwich. The crinkling of the packaging around it was the only sound against silence. Kai and Sehun both began eating as well. Lay stared at the food in his hands, slowly peeling away the wrapping foil.

“Isn't someone going to say something?” Kai asked, his eyes slowly drifting back to your face. You were eating nicely, an expression of what looked like calm spread over your features. It was a stark contrast to your heartbeat; all three could hear its elevated pulse. It wouldn’t be a stretch to guess your thoughts were just as anxious.

I'm not making them uncomfortable am I? But it was them who invited me here.

The thought made your heart clench.

Should I start a conversation?

You took another bite. This time a bit too big.

Okay, maybe not.

You placed a hand over your mouth, trying to chew quickly so they wouldn't notice. Kai stared at you for a while, cheeks puffed out and eyes scrunched in thought. He looked down, the corner of his lips twitching upward.        

“You're not thinking anything weird are you?” Sehun said, taking a sip of water.

Kai looked up a bit sharply. “No, I'm not thinking anything you wouldn't think yourself.”

“This is weird guys,” Lay finally spoke, staring down at his lap. All this time his food remained unwrapped and uneaten “maybe I should go-”

“If you do, she'll think it's her fault.” Sehun said. Lay felt his chest twinge with something at the thought, then wanted to curse it. After yesterday, he hadn't been able to pinpoint his feelings at all. His mind was just one huge, muddled mess. It was maddening. “Even if you're unhappy with this, just stay.” Unhappy? No, out of everything that was the one emotion Lay couldn't make himself feel, even if for some unexplainable reason it was what he thought he deserved.

Sehun reached into his bag, pulling out a second bottle of water and placing it in front of you.

“Here. You bought it but forgot to pick it up when we left.” You stared at him, a look of realization crossing your features.

“T-thank you! I completely forgot.” Placing your food on your lap you reached out, your fingers wrapping around the cool bottle. A tentative smile tugged at your lips, reaching into your eyes. The latter said nothing, only nodding at your expression. It was a thin mask to hide the warm feeling that washed over him. For some reason he couldn't bring himself to show that to you. It wasn't that he necessarily disliked it, just...he didn't want to show it. Not now, not when he didn’t want to look into what it meant.

“Have you been able to find a new uniform?” You looked up at Kai’s words, subconsciously tugging on your sleeves and shaking your head. Thankfully Ha ri had still been at work when you arrived home yesterday. This morning had been a bit more tricky, but you managed to leave without raising any real suspicion. School policy was incredibly strict here; you had no choice but to wear the gym uniform again today.

“I was thinking to buy one before the day ended,” There was a brief silence, all three appearing to be lost in thought. You watched them over your food, partially perplexed then embarrassed.  

You were in a place that you had only pondered about in the back of your mind; you could openly watch and learn of the personalities of the most beloved people in your school. Here you were, and you were bewildered as much as you were mystified. They  - well, Sehun - said they wanted to learn more about you, and yet all the four of you have done so far is sit in silence. It was very awkward, but given way for you to realize something else. Every shift, every breath of words that came from them rattled you. It was difficult to watch them without feeling your thoughts crumble into nothing. Simply put, they were attractive. Not in the regular sense, like the kind that would make you look back once, maybe twice before you walked away. It was the kind that was confusing and mysterious and enough to make you loose thought each and every time you were given attention. No matter how much you thought to duck your head and run so you couldn't seem any more stupid you wouldn't. This is the kind of attention that a person found themselves subconsciously craving, no matter how unnerving and embarrassing the desire was.

The funniest feeling grew in the pit of your stomach when you thought you wanted to stay, to analyze them more. This was curiosity driving you, that and the furious need to not offend their efforts. They were...nice, a little mystifying but not bad. Plus there was your umma, and your wish to lessen her worries by being more social. Maybe if you could not be so painfully aware of the awkwardness of the new situation you could get used to it. Still, you couldn’t shake your feelings. It was strange, but you were getting a sense this attempt might not be one-sided. These three might just have a similarly intent interest in you too.

 

 

How is it I'm suddenly able to get myself into these kinds of situations?

Holding in a sigh I stared down at the uniform in my hands, subconsciously crinkling the plastic covering around it with my fists.

“You like this one?” I flinched at the voice, partially from surprise and – wait, no it was just surprise. Kai stood over me, his eyes scanning over the ensemble. I nodded once, twice. He reached out, pinching the edge of the package in between his fingers. “Isn't it the same as your old one?”

“Yeah, it is.” Funny how he remembered.

“You don't want to try a different one?” I followed his gaze back towards the front counter. Sehun and Lay were standing nearby the cash register, looking intently at the selection manual spread between them. We were in the school's mini 'convenience' shop. It was where students mostly came get stationary, bus tickets, and textbooks for classes among other things. It's main objective though was supplying students with the school's uniforms. “The weather is getting warmer, wouldn't it be better to get a summer one?” A variety of uniforms were on display in one corner, many for the said upcoming season. I shook my head, holding the package to my chest.

“I get cold easily. Besides it's multi-layered, I should be fine.” We moved towards the front of the room, coming alongside the other two. I still couldn't believe they all decided to come with me. They didn't even say anything outright; we were just walking when the store’s neon sign came into view. Before I could even say something they walked straight in, Kai pushing me after them before I had the chance to protest.

“I-I'm done, sorry for the wait.” They both turned at the sound of my voice. Sehun gently pulled at the package in my hand, as if to see its contents clearly.

“Didn't you have this before?” I just nodded. Were they all this aware?

“You like this kind of style?” Kai stood next to me, inspecting the garment in my hands. I looked down at it too, contemplating.

It was the basic, main style of uniform issued from when you first enter the school: a black blazer with the school's insignia scripted with dull gold ink, a bleached white dress shirt with black buttons, then the navy and maroon plaid shirt. This ensemble also came with a necktie; girls had the short bow with the choice of adding a small brooch pin.

“Yes, it's nice enough.” Luckily I had already bought a separate black cardigan from the shop a couple months before. Once summer came I could just switch to that and leave my blazer at home. It might get a little warm, but it would be too much of a waste to get two separate uniforms.

I placed my choice on the counter, then ped my bag to find my wallet.

“Where did that ahjussi go?” Kai murmured, looking around the small store. Even as we entered the register had been vacant.

“Maybe he's still on his lunch break,” I looked up slightly at Lay's voice, gentle and calm. All this time he had never spoken, the conversation being manned by Sehun and Kai alone.

“You're probably right.” Neither of them seemed unfazed by his sudden speech. Was he just usually this quiet? I had guessed this kind of nature from him, but I hadn't thought that it was to this extent.

Wait, he's not just being extra reserved because I'm here is he?

“Sorry kids,” A voice emerged from behind us. We all turned, and from the shop's entry way came a man, speed walking towards the counter. “I went out to get some things.” True enough a cardboard box was in his hands. Coming around the island he set the package down and regarded us with a big smile.

I shuffled up, nudging the clothing forward.

“I'd like to get this,” he took the package, scanning it and punching numbers into the machine.

“Sure thing, oh!” He gestured to a little stand on one side of counter. “Aren't you going to pick a brooch?”  My eyes drifted to the sparkling crystals, all neatly hung based on color and size.

“No, maybe not today.” The man nodded good-naturedly.

“Alright, but make sure to come back and have a look when we restock miss,” They were incredibly popular amongst the first year girls, and you could always see the older years walking around with their old pins, that is, if they hadn't already bought more. There wasn’t any real meaning behind them, at least not that I knew of. It was just an accessory, one unique to our school. I handed him the money. The clothes were placed in a plastic bag and he gave it to me. “Have a nice day!” Bowing in thanks, we walked out of the store.

The halls were filled with echoing voices as people walked around or talked in pods. Some stood by open lockers, retrieving books for the classes ahead. The lunch period was nearing its end.

“Do you guys need to go to your lockers?” I asked. Kai, who had taken the lead, shook his head. As did Sehun and Lay.

“How about you?” It was my turn to shake my head, gripping the plastic bag in my hands. We drifted along until Kai stopped, leaning against a space of brick walling. We all created a sparse circle next to him. His face had dropped into a sort of sullen look, but his eyes betrayed its warm, undecipherable gleam.

“It's only a couple more classes until the end of the day,” He murmured “what’s the next one?”

“History.” I murmured. A smile grew on his lips, making the butterflies buzz inside of me.

“Good, this afternoon might not be so bad.” The way he looked at me, it made it feel like he was making an inside joke between us.

“I-I should probably change into this,” I held up the bag.

“We'll wait for you-” Sehun stopped. An arm came around my shoulders, tugging me towards him. Not anticipating it, half crashed into Sehun. Something solid pushed roughly against my other shoulder.  

“What the heck dude! Watch where you walk!” An abrupt wave of laughter came from behind me. I turned, noticing for the first time the group of people scattered next to us. They were many of them, all boys and obnoxiously loud. From the looks of it, first years. One had his back turned away from me, still uncomfortably close after bumping against my shoulder. Completely unaffected he spoke loudly to the person who called him out.

“I would've been able to if you didn't push me!” He faked a punch towards his friend, causing the others to laugh. Many of them quickly stopped once they realized us standing there.

“Maybe you would have also looked where you were going.” Kai murmured, effectively catching everyone’s attention. Even some pods of people who stood nearby turned, noticing the sudden quiet. The boy who crashed into me spun around, his grin abruptly dropping. “Sunbae...”

Kai didn't say a word, taking a step forward from the wall. It got quiet; the boys exchanged nervous glances amongst each other. Some stared at their shoes, not even willing to look up. Kai surveyed the group, his hands in his pockets. The friendly look he always seemed to carry faded. His expression was taunt, making him look...different. Less kind, and more dark. Despite the collective size of the group, they suddenly seemed smaller compared to him. “Sorry, sunbae-nim. I didn't realize it was you.” The boy tried to laugh, but it came out unsure. He bowed once, twice, casting nervous glances towards Sehun and Lay before bowing to them too. Kai didn't say a word, his gaze locking mine and making me freeze.

“Instead of me, why don’t you apologize to the person you hit?” The first year peered up, following Kai's gaze to mine. I stood, suddenly breathless. Every single one of them was looking at me.

Sehun's grip lessened, his hand ghosting up my arm to come to rest clearly on my shoulder. I looked up to him, as if to find some sort of clue of what to do. He wasn't looking at me, but at the group. His expression was one of patience, but his features were noticeably cooled.

He's the ice prince... again.

“I'm s-sorry sunbae-nim, I didn't meant to bump into you.” My eyes momentarily widened when the boy bowed to me. His friends quickly followed on ensuite, apologizing profusely as they slowly backed away. “This won't happen again, I-I swear.” The boy cast a nervous glance back towards Lay and Kai. Even though he was silent Lay look just as unamused as the latter, watching the group expressionlessly.

“Right. Let's hope so.” I internally shivered at the tone of Sehun's voice. Still, I didn't dare move, him being so close he would immediately notice. The group wasn't able to hide their discomfort, scurrying off as quickly as they could. The surrounding bystanders that had paused immediately walked on. The volume of chatter rose once again, loud and ordinary like nothing had just occurred. I forced a breath to leave my lips, then one to enter.

“Are you alright?” Kai spoke, stepping in front of me. My arm was immediately encased in another hand. Together with Sehun's it felt like the area was filling with heat. As quickly as it came the rigid coldness dissipated. A smile graced his lips, sweet and warm; it was the kind of look that you were supposed to find comfort in, because it made you want to trust.

This was what you were expecting, this is what kingkas are supposed to do. Don't get surprised now.

“Go and change, we'll wait for you here.”

Reflexively my hand curled tighter around the plastic handle.  I my heel. Without focusing, the colors and sounds around me swelled into a bright haze, blurs passing by left and right as I moved. My feet found themselves in front of the wide archway. Thankfully the space was empty. Choosing a stall at random I shut the door and slid the lock in place.

I wasn't upset. It would be ridiculous to think that. I had anticipated what I might see being around these kind of people. As it so happened I was proven right. Despite the way they treated me, they were still capable and willing to be cold and dominant over others, just like any other kingka or queenka.

Then again, it might actually be better to act that way. No one would ever try to push you around; you would never be truly ignored.

The thought made a breathless laugh escape my lips. I could count my blessings I wasn't the object of their hostility. In fact it was the opposite; it was like they were going out of their way to see I was comfortable.

Well, maybe not Lay, he might just not be comfortable around me.

A small grimace grew on my lips as I quickly switched clothes.

By the time I finished and came out the corridors were bustling with people. Muttering apologies under my breath I weaved through the crowd. It took a while for my eyes to find the group of three. They were a couple paces away from where I left them, standing and talking amongst themselves. On sight I started walking faster, not wanting to make them wait longer. Those steps quickly began to falter as I recognized one extra head among them. His height neared that of Lay's, his build distinctly lean and toned underneath his blazer. One hand remained in his pocket while the other carried a notebook.

You seriously have done it now. Honestly, of all kingkas you could've run into.

A soft sigh escaped my lips as I halted. None of them noticed me yet, still wrapped within their conversation. They would soon; I was standing close enough to be seen.

I can't interrupt them now, especially since it's him.

I wasn't so sure I would like another encounter with a kingka, especially if it was an Exo leader.

 

 

“They're going to China?” I nodded, shifting my weight from one foot to the other. “It'll take too long for Kris to go by himself; we need to get things done more quickly.” I glanced at Lay. He didn't really react to my words, only looking elsewhere.

“Should we not go with them Suho hyung?” Sehun murmured. I shook my head.

“The archives they keep are larger than the ones we have here, but not as organized. We're outsiders to their member circles so they'd pay more attention. Kris will have better chance at slipping past and finding what we need.”

“What exactly is that?” Kai spoke, his eyes slowly tracing up from the ground. “You told us what this is haven't you? Even if it was a guess I can't see any other explanation.”

My response came out more sharp than I intended “Neither can I, but we still need to know the specifics of it regardless. What does it mean, what are it's boundaries-”

“-what are the catches, or loop holes?” Lay cut in, his expression indecipherable. The rest of his words unfolded in the back of my mind. “Are you hoping to find a way for the rest of the pack to avoid this?”

“I never said that.” The words left my lips reflexively, but did nothing to alter their expressions. Did they want me to do that to the rest of the group? Or would they be angry that they were left the way they were while everyone else was 'saved'? Even without having started to look I didn't think there was any chance of something like that existing. How could you prevent a bond from being formed when hadn't even been started? Thinking that way made it easier to decide, but what if it did exist? The fact Kai and Lay had imprinted still hadn't been discussed with the rest of the group. They needed to know, and what this meant for them. I couldn't do something as drastic eliminating their chance with the girl without telling them. They needed to have their options; they need to have the choice. Even if I already had an idea of what their answers might be. “If there is a possibility, isn't it fair we take it into consideration?” None of them said a word, silence being swallowed up by the noise around us.

Kai slowly came up, brushing past me and into the mass of people “Do whatever you think needs to be done.” It was a cooled response, revealing nothing. At this point I could be satisfied with it.

I began to speak again, all the while my mind detachedly aware of Kai’s presence behind me. “Just keep doing things as you’ve been already. It does get its share of attention but things could’ve been a lot worse-” the words seized in my throat. Kai had stopped.

He was standing, talking. His presence was all creature, distinct and familiar to me. At his side was a different presence. It wasn’t because this was human; there were an ample amount of them here, enough that you could recognize them distinctly amongst the different races of creature. And yet this was different. Completely, entirely different.

“We’re going to head back too. See you at the hagwon.” I was dimly aware of them passing, of Sehun’s concerned gaze and Lay’s undecipherable one. The moment they had both left me I began forward. It took all the strength I had to take the slow measured steps, unassuming and calm. To ignore my pulse, untempered and wild, all the while my chest being constricted with realization and bewilderment. Tingles laced up and down my skin, digging in with relish at my ever growing horror.

It’s her.

As slow as I could I blended into the crowd, not turning back as wave upon wave of beings stood between. I wanted to run. I wanted to turn around. I didn’t know which was worse.  

 

~~~