Young & Beautiful

The 27 Club

There was chaos in the airport as Luhan stood at the core of a mass of people. He paid no attention to the crowd around him, but rather scanned the area as if looking for one particular person. Cameras were flashing, attention was being drawn, but he didn't have time to care. He was anxious, worrying that whomever he was waiting for hadn't made it to Korea. When he was about to call them, he caught a flash of a chillingly familiar face.

"Mira!" Luhan called out, the first sound he had made since his arrival at the airport. The masses around him turned to look where his eyes were pointed and landed on a girl only a few meters away.

"Luhan," she called back with noticeably less enthusiasm, though she smiled with a radiance that could blind a man.

"I'm so glad you made it, I was worried since you were late and I didn't know what to think and..." Luhan began to ramble before the girl shushed him.

"I'm fine. Where would I have gone anyway? Jumped out the plane?" She laughed patting his arm in comfort. "Now can we get out of here before these people can trample me?"

Suddenly remembering where they were, Luhan looked around to see dozens of people surrounding them and asking questions. Thankfully, Luhan's friend was wearing a large hoodie and sunglasses that nearly concealed all of her face, but he would have to get her out of there before things got too messy.

"Luhan, who is this?"

"Is she your girlfriend?"

"Where did she fly in from?"

"How long have you two known each other?"

Questions were shot at them rapid fire as Luhan tried his best to lead his friend away from the crowd. They successfully made their way to his car that was awaiting and found escape in the back seat before pulling away from the curb and towards the city.

"Mira, it's so great to see you," Luhan sighed in relief as she pulled her hood down and her sunglasses off.

"You too, Luhan. I don't know why you suddenly asked me to live with you, but I'm sure you'll come to answer that eventually." Mira smiled sweetly with a devious hint to her tone.

"You haven't changed at all," he laughed and wrapped his arm around her shoulders to bring her closer.

"And you've changed?" She raised an eyebrow, leaning into him easily. 

"Well, I'm famous now." Luhan shrugged.

"You're still the same baby face I knew when we were kids, though!" Mira laughed and shoved him lightly.

It took Luhan off guard that this girl sitting next to him now was the same girl who had sent him the letter that changed everything just a week ago. She seemed so genuinely happy to see him and she was just like the girl he had grown up with. It was almost impossible to believe that this beautiful, radiant girl no longer had a will to live. He knew that Mira had struggled with depression all through high school, but he had never thought that she would come to this. Mira thought that there was nothing left to live for but her promise to him. Luhan wanted to show her how beautiful life was, and the only way he could do it was to introduce Mira to the eleven people who helped keep his feet on the ground.

"I listen to all your music," Mira mused aloud, pulling Luhan from his thoughts.

He turned to look at her as she watched the city scenery pass them by from the window. Her eyes reflected the shining lights with a sort of joy, but there was a certain dullness to her brown orbs. It was as if she were watching, but not seeing.

"Do you now?" He asked, watching her still as she turned to face him.

"I really like Black Pearl." She nodded. "And the dance to Overdose is really cool."

"I'm glad you like the music we make. You're part of the reason I made it this far, so I'm glad we can produce something you like," Luhan said with a soft smile.

"Are you always this cheesy with the ladies, or am I just that special?" Mira teased, her eyes crinkling up in a smile.

"Oh, I'm gooey only for you." Luhan leaned forward and grabbed her chin with a seductive look in his eyes.

"Don't try to look seductive with your baby face, you just look stupid," Mira laughed and tried to push Luhan away.

"Stupid?" Luhan pretended to be offended. "How could you? After all we've been through you call me stupid?"

"I just said you look stupid, but if you want I can call you stupid too." Mira shrugged, trying her hardest to keep a straight face.

"I am hurt, Mirabelle!" Luhan covered his mouth in horror.

"Don't you dare use my full name!" Mira smacked his arm as the car came to a halt.

"Looks like we're here, Mirabelle." Luhan smirked.

"I'm not getting out of this car until you promise to never call me Mirabelle again." Mira crossed her arms and sat back as Luhan held the door open for her.

"If you're going to be difficult, then you give me no choice!" Luhan cried and reached in to grab Mira into his arms.

"Put me down, you stupid baby face!" She cried, squirming and trying to free herself from his grasp.

"Mirabelle, you shouldn't struggle or I'll drop you," Luhan laughed as he carried her into the building.

"Stop calling me that!" She squirmed again.

"Mirabelle, Mirabelle, Mirabelle, Mirabelle, Mirabelle, Mirabell- hi." Luhan stopped his chanting as he came to the top of the steps where Chen was standing with a very shocked look on his face.

"Hey there, could you tell Luhan to put me down?" Mira asked politely, still in Luhan's grasp.

"Is this the friend you said is staying with us?" Chen directed his question at Luhan, still slightly stunned.

"Yeah." He nodded seriously as he set Mira down much to her delight.

"Who's this?" Mira poked Luhan in the side, whispering in his ear.

"Mira, this is Chen, my group member. Chen, this is Mira, my best friend." Luhan introduced the two, pointing between them.

"Nice to meet you." Mira smiled and bowed politely.

"Same," Chen replied, bowing as well.

"Luhan, I saw a convenience store just down the block. Is it okay if I go there and pick up a few things I need? I'll come right back, I promise," Mira asked, turning to face Luhan.

Luhan was reluctant to let her out of his sight given her current mental state, but he had to explain to the others why she had to stay with them and now was the perfect time. She seemed stable enough to make it to the convenience store on her own, but Luhan didn't want to take the risk.

"Chen, would you mind accompanying her?" Luhan asked, pleading with his eyes and hoping that his hyung would understand.

"Luhan, I'll be fine!" Mira protested.

"Sure, I can go." Chen nodded, noticing the look in Luhan's eyes.

"Thanks," Luhan replied and left Mira with him as he went inside the dorm.

"Hey, look who's back," Kris called from the sofa where he was slumped, watching the World Cup.

"Where's your friend?" Tao asked, sitting next to Kris and watching with far less enthusiasm.

"She went to the convenience store with Chen," Luhan explained, setting down her bags in a heap. "I need to talk to everyone, though, before she comes back. Someone will need to fill in Chen when they get the chance as well."

"Sure, you've got our ears," Jongin said as everyone gathered around Luhan.

"The reason Mira is staying with us is because I need to make sure she makes it to her twenty-eighth birthday alive." Luhan began after taking a deep breath.

"Why twenty-eight?" Chanyeol asked.

"Is she sick or something?"Suho asked.

"No, she..." Luhan trailed off, unsure of how to continue. "She's struggled with depression since we were in high school together. When we graduated, she moved to America and we haven't really spoken much since. Just a week ago, she wrote me saying that she no longer had a will to live. She's been...not exactly obsessed, but interested in The 27 Club."

"What's The 27 Club?" Kyungsoo asked quietly.

"I did some research after she wrote me because I didn't really know, but it's a what people call a bunch of musicians who have died at the age of twenty-seven for different reasons such as drug overdoses or suicide. It's an absurd amount of musicians who die at twenty-seven, so people gave them a name," Luhan explained.

"And you think Mira is inspired by them to die at the age of twenty-seven?" Lay inquired.

"She used to always talk about dying young and beautiful when we were in school. I never really thought much of it until now." Luhan nodded.

"So why bring her here now? How old is she now?" Baekhyun piped up.

"I don't know. She wrote the letter and I got worried and I'm just scared that she'll try to kill herself before she turns twenty-seven. She's only twenty-five now." Luhan was choked up now, his worry for Mira overflowing.

"But what can we do?" Xiumin asked gently after a moment of silence.

"Just..." Luhan's words caught in his throat as his band members looked on in curiosity and worry. "I need to make sure she lives."

There was only silence in response. No one knew how to react to Luhan's words. Why was it so crucial now that she live? Why was it only now that Luhan mentioned her? There were so many questions, but none could be asked as they watched Luhan try with herculean strength to keep his composure. 

"Just three years. I know it sounds long, but I've got to make sure she lives!" Luhan pleaded. "Just let her make it past her 28th birthday, that's all I'm asking of you. Please."

Again, there was only silence filled with questions that couldn't be asked. 

"I just need to make sure she lives," Luhan whispered and fought back his tears.

"We'll try our best to help you." Lay was the first to speak up again as he put his hand on his friend's shoulder and comforted him.

"Thank you, I really mean it,"