A tear, no more, no less

A tear, no less, no more

Clouds were slowly darkening, and it wasn’t just because of the night settling in. The air was calm-too calm. Waiting with patience for the storm.

With the quiet storm slowly building above, voices struck out at each other filled with anguish.

 

“You’re insufferable! I hate you, Kim Kibum. Really, you almost had me. Then you had to take it too far, and-”

 

Key shot her a dangerous look, simmering anger. He advanced, in the manner of an animal almost. A hunter. The clouds ahead were shifting, as if to find their proper position.

 

“Admit it Bak Hee, we both fell for each other. Keep in mind that I hate liars, but I know you still feel something for me.” His eyes never left hers, focused, and composed. The nearly swirling mass of black flashed, ever so slightly.

 

“No Key,” she spat, turning around furiously, “that’s where you’re wrong.”

 

He gave her a look of indifference, a smile hiding in his eyes, hinting at his lips, and closed the distance between them with one step. The first alarm of the storm was a single raindrop, forced by gravity, landing on her cheek.

A tear; no more no less.

 

“Wrong? Your feelings say otherwise, Bak Hee. Tell me how this is wrong when you know it feels right.” Her adrenaline set in, the moment he stepped closer to her, and she was startled into moving a step backwards.

One short, distant rumble, barely heard by the argument.

 

“No-that’s not-”she tried to rearrange her thoughts properly but staring into his eyes wasn’t helping.

 

“Answer me Bak Hee, tell me the truth,” he whispered to her, and she cringed, feeling a small breeze tickle to back of her neck, sending chills to wrap around her. More droplets, stinging her shoulder, nose and the back of her knee.

 

“I didn’t fall for you,” she muttered, ducking her eyes down and folding her arms into herself.

 

Without hesitation or sound, she felt the warmth from his body again, knowing he was standing in front of her. She closed her eyes, steeling herself before raising her head defiantly to look at him.

 

“You’re lying,” he murmured looking directly into her eyes-and she felt the tiny tell-tale pinch in her right arm that told her she was dead meat, before collapsing where she stood.

 

Instead of catching her, his hands curled into a fists and he shut his eyes briefly, wishing he never signed up for this, wishing he’d never been born. The heavens opened and the rain began to pound down, washing away any trace a tear could’ve left behind.

 

Washing away a tear, no more, no less.