I Just Want to Run Away

We May Have Some Chemistry

    The next time Seohyun and Yonghwa met was a Friday. Their next Chemistry class together. She had been apprehensive of this meeting following the events of the day before where she had left him waiting for that kiss in the rain.

    However, when the time arrived, the only acknowledgement of her existence from Yonghwa was the curt nod of greeting and a, perhaps accidental, perhaps not, brush of his fingers on her arm, sending chills down her spine. As the class wore on, he made no further attempt to converse with her or even look at her. It was unnerving to say the least and she found herself looking at him every so often     

    Yonghwa noticed the way Seohyun kept glancing over at him, expecting him to do something or say something. Or even better, wondering if that brush against her arm meant anything at all.  Yesterday’s play had taught him to play things a little more carefully. For now, he was content with making her think about him instead of talking to her, which would only cause her to close herself off.

A beeping sound interrupted the lesson. It was the office paging the class through the announcer.

“Seo Joohyun, to the office, please. There is a call waiting for you.”

Baek-ssaem nodded, giving her silent permission to leave the class as he continued on with Titrations and Solutions.

Who could it be? She pulled out her cellphone as she reached the end of the hall, checking to see if she had any missed calls or text messages. Besides an “I miss you” type text from one of her friends in the States—which made her smile—there wasn’t anything else she had missed. Her parents rarely contacted her during school hours so it shouldn’t be them either. She couldn’t shake the feeling of unease.

“Joohyun right?” asked the secretary as Seohyun entered the office, handing her the phone.

Seohyun nodded in reply and mouthed a “thank you” before putting the phone to her ear. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the secretary leaving to give them some privacy.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Donsaeng! How are you doing?”

“Oppa! Wow, you totally had me scared. Why didn’t you call me on my cellphone?”

“You were in class.”

“Well, you could have just texted me. I thought an accident happened or something!”

“Sometimes, I worry that you’re only smart about the school things.” said Jungmo. “I hope you know that Dad has your phone tapped.”

“What?”

“Anyways, that’s not important right now. I called you here because I didn’t want Mom or Dad to hear about this first. I can’t tell you everything right now but I think you should be the first to know.”

“Know what?” asked Seohyun. “Now you’re really worrying me. Is it something to do with the company?”

“Listen, I am going to run away. I can’t tell you why, right now. I’m sorry. I just can’t take it here anymore.”

“Take what? Oppa, talk to me.”

“I need you to stay strong for me, okay? I have to leave now or they’re going to stop me.”

“Wait, don’t go. Tell me what’s going on!”

“Don’t let them know I contacted you, okay? You’ll figure it out when the time is right. You’re smart, dongsaeng.”

“Explain, please. Oppa!”

“I’ll try to contact you when I can. This is goodbye for now.”

“You’re leaving? For good? Where?”

“I don’t have time to answer any questions. But for now, don’t assume things and stay strong. Be a good dongsaeng, I believe you.”

With that, the line went dead, leaving her with more questions than when she had first entered the office and picked up the phone.

The unease in her heart grew. What was going on? He was running away right?

She smiled weakly at the secretary who re-entered the room, handed the phone back to her and made her way back to class. She was peeved to find out that her phone had been tapped but more importantly, what the hell was up with her brother?

She couldn’t stop her assumptions. Did the pressure and stress of being Father’s heir weigh too heavily on Jungmo? Was their father forcing him to do something that he didn’t want to? Why couldn’t he tell her what he was planning or where he was going?

Her smile was grim as she wondered fleetingly, if he had picked this time to leave because she was back in Seoul. Did he consider her to be his replacement? Was that why he was leaving now?

“Marvelous timing!” She couldn’t bring herself to smile back at Baek-ssaem now that the darker thoughts had entered her mind. “You’re just in time for our quiz!”

Yonghwa noticed the change in Seohyun’s demeanor as she sat down beside him again. She was distracted, confused and maybe even, distraught. Pushing these thoughts to the side, he focused on the Measurement and Conversion questions in front of him. Even though all the questions were multiple choice questions, Baek-ssaem definitely hadn’t gone easy on them.

He glanced up at the clock. There were three minutes left. A loud sigh came from his left. When he stole a glance at Seohyun’s paper, he noticed that she was only halfway through the test. There was also a suspiciously large number of “Cs” as if she had just given up and followed the test-taking rule of “Always Choose C”. Was the phone call behind the reason why she was so distracted right now?

“Time’s up guys. Pass every test to the right side of the table and pass them down to the first person in the row.” said Baek-ssaem.

Seohyun wordlessly handed her test to him, knowing that he had seen her less than stellar performance on the quiz. Imagine her surprise, when he began erasing something on her test.

“What are you doing?” She asked, trying to snatch her test back.

He smirked as he showed her what he had done. He had replaced her name on the test with his own and put her name on his test. Before she could react to what he had done, he swiftly passed both tests forward.

“Yah! Are you stupid?” She hissed. “I’m pretty sure I failed the test. What the hell are you doing?”

“I know. And I’m pretty sure I did well on that test.” said Yonghwa, calmly.

“Are you helping me?” She asked. Yonghwa cocked an eyebrow at the shock in her voice.

“Is it that hard to believe? You look like you need it.”

“Whatever the reasons, I can’t let you do that to your own grade.” said Seohyun, sternly, putting her hand up to inform the teacher.

“I’ll tell Baek-ssaem that I was planning to cheat off your answers.” deadpanned Yonghwa. He chuckled a bit as her hand shot down like a laser. That was cute.

“I hope everyone managed to retain enough from last year. Don’t forget to read through the homework and do the questions for next class.” called Baek-ssaem as the bell rang, signalling the end of their fourth period class.

“Whatever you’re worrying about, don’t worry too hard. Worry isn’t a good look on you, Seobaby. I’ll see you later.” He waved goodbye, swung his backpack over his shoulder and left the classroom and the stunned girl behind. He bet she was feeling extra bad about that kiss yesterday. Or more like that non-existent kiss. He scowled at the thought. Hopefully, that situation would be remedied soon.


The dismissal bell rang as her lips moved, sloppy and messy on his—all wet tongue and bruised lips.

“Thank you, oppa.” purred Hyerin. “That was as good as ever.”

Yonghwa gave a non-committal grunt. In his opinion, Hyrein’s chest was too big, her was too flat, her moans were too shrill and her actions were too close to vulgar. The “easy” look was a look that Hyerin could pull off but it wasn’t a look that he enjoyed anymore.

“To my knowledge, you’ve only been ing me for the past month. What do you say we go exclusive, oppa?”

“Your knowledge is misinformed. There was the redhead at the party, the brunette at the cub, the prim and proper chick at the Charity Ball and plenty of faces I don’t remember anymore. You know I don’t do exclusive, Hyerin. Ever.”

“Pleeeease. C’mon, oppa. I’m all you’ll need.” She whined.

“Shut up before I decide to stop messing around with you.” He snapped in annoyance beginning to regret skipping fifth period to make good on his promise to Hyerin. Something outside the window of the empty classroom caught his attention. Seohyun was talking to her friends at the front of the school. He grinned, pulling his sweater back on and slinging his backpack over one shoulder.

“Oppa, are you leaving because I said that?” He could hear the panic in her voice.

“Hyerin won’t do that anymore. Stay a little longer.” She pleaded as he cringed at her baby talk. It was just not attractive for an eighteen year old to be speaking like a two year old.

‘See you later, Lee Hyerin.”

He didn’t bother explaining anything to her. He needed to catch Seohyun before she left.


Seohyun gave a start as someone got into her car on the passenger side.

“It’s not good to leave your car door unlocked like that. Very dangerous.” warned Yonghwa, smirking.

“You. Just who I was looking for. Why did you do that today? Why did you switch the tests?” demanded Seohyun. “I don’t need any of your help or pity. Today’s quiz was my fault. My mind wasn’t on it and I should be dealing with those consequences.”

“It’s just a quiz. Relax.” said Yonghwa, leaning back into the seat. “If you want to make it up to me, tell me what made you lose focus. I didn’t peg you for a bad student, so was it the phone call you got called to the office for?”

“I don’t want to tell you.” She said, so softly that Yonghwa had to strain to hear her. “At least not right now when I don’t know anything about you except what other people tell me.”

He placed his fingers lightly on her chin, turning her to face him.

“Okay, what do you want right now?”

There was a pause and time seemed to sow in the confines of the car as the two met eyes.

“I want…” she started, taking in a deep breath. “I want to run away.”

“I am going to run away.” She heard her brother’s voice in her head. If he did, why the hell couldn’t she as well?

“I want to run away.” She repeated, firmly. At the same time those words left , she wondered how Yonghwa would react.

His reply was simple.

“Ok, let’s do it. Let’s run away.” He said with a crooked smile. “Switch seats with me and let’s get started.”


 


One of my short chapters but I think quite a few things happened here.

Is it time for Yong and Hyun to have a little heart to heart? Haha, does this count as a first date? I don’t know. Where do you guys think Yonghwa is going to take Seohyun as they run away? Why do you guys think that Seohyun’s brother is running away?

Oh, and is it just me or is Hyerin actually pretty annoying?

I decided to pick a member of TRAX, Jungmo, to be Seohyun’s brother largely because they seem close in real life and TRAX was who I thought of next after CNBlue.

Time for comment replies. :D It really makes my day when you guys subscribe, leave comments and upvote this story. Much love! <3

@shaniakris: Thank you for the support! Hope you like this update. : )

@memey_aziz: Thank you very much. Here’s the update! :D

@tartytorts: Haha, this isn’t a really long update either. Hope you’re ok with it ^^ Pick-up lines were unfortunately all I could think of but I’m glad Yong is still adorable lol.
I think that’s the way it is in most countries now too--liberal views amongst the youth and the older generation sticking to traditional standards.

@Minty13: I read that book too. In fact, that’s what inspired “All is Fair in Love and Shakespeare”, the fic that I had stopped writing and I specified that in the foreword of that fic. However, I stopped writing that fic because I just didn’t like the fact that it was inspired by an already existing book. I no longer remember much about “Chemistry” anymore since I read it 4 years ago, so I felt comfortable starting this fic. ^^ I hope you’ll find that there are plenty of differences too!
Yay for calling out the bad guys!

@Inspired4339: Hehe, sorry about that. No game here but maybe Yong can just like stare at them and the girls will fall at his feet lol. I can’t wait for Seohyun to bruise that ego too! ;) As for your comment about hypocrisy, yeah, I figured that it’s pretty similar all across the world.

@cnsdGirl: Heeeeeey!! Glad to see you back! Your comment made me laugh. I think Seohyun is just a little apprehensive about believing the rumors about Yong without actually getting to know him. I think 50-50 is a nice way to put it and I’m glad you like her this way. Oh man, I want to be friends with Seohyun’s omma too! Good guess about the family problems but nope, it’s the brother who’s running away. Thanks for the support!

@believerremember: Welcome to the fic! Thank you so much for all your compliments. Man, I’m blushing. Seohyun’s a smart cookie, yes.
I agree with you.Premarital definitely runs many, many risks but in the world of consenting adults, everyone should take responsibility for their decisions. I wonder when Yong’s decisions will catch up to him? ;)
That was indeed a pretty badass move on Seohyun’s part. I wanted her character to be more realistic than just the do-everything-he-tells-me-too-shy-girl type or the-back-off-i’m-too-good-for-you type so that’s why she’s this way in the fic.
Hope you enjoy this update

@popgirl345543: Yay! New reader! Thank you for the support. And yeah, it’s been awhile for Yongseo now so I’m glad you’re still a shipper of that awksome couple haha : )

Thank you so very much to my subscribers commentors and lovely, lovely upvoters (That’s you, believerremember, cnsdGirl, faisazali, gwen15, Inspired4339, grosvenor and rinla29!)!! <3