II - Movie

∞ Story of Us

 

The next morning, I was awaken by a dazzling light coming from behind the curtain of the window. I didn't have any schedule that day except radio session, but I made sure I didn't wake up too late so I could a spend a day with my loved one. I forced my eyes to open widely and check the time on my phone. Thank God, it really was still 8 AM early in the morning.

When I looked around the room, I noticed Taeyeon was still sleeping soundly on her bed. It felt like a minute ago where I just touched her cheek before going to sleep, and I had wanted to touch it again. So, carefully and silently, I tiptoed to her bed. Once again I put my palm gently on her face.

The groaning sound she made alerted me that I had woken her up. I pulled my hand from her. It should have been normal, but I didn't know why I pull it back. Taeyeon slowly opened her eyes and found my figure in front of her.

"Hey, good morning" I smiled. 

"Good morning, too" She yawned. "Is it already late?"

"No, it's still early. Sorry I woke you up"

She shook in slow motion. "I'm glad you woke me up, so we could spend some time together"

My mouth formed another smile when I heard that sentence. I was worried she wouldn't want to spend time with me today, but she was still willing to. 

"C- Can I kiss you?" I asked and mentally cursed myself. Why would I need a permission? I always did it like something normal. 

As expected, Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows due to my sudden question. She touched my cheek. "What's wrong with you? Of course you can. Why won't I let you to?"

"Y- Yes" The warmth of her palms on my cheek sent me nervous. I really didn't know why, it was as if I'd kiss her for the first time. So, I slowly leaned down and kissed her lips.

"What would we do for today though?" She asked after we finished a good one-minute-or-so kiss.

"Hmmm" I scratched my chin, thinking. Damn it, Sunny. You're planning to spend a day with her but you hadn't planned anything. How could you? Nevertheless, an idea popped on my mind. "Since you did the movie marathon by yourself yesterday, how about we do it together today?"

"That sounds good" She sat up on her bed. "Let's take a shower and have a breakfast first then"

We did the usual morning routines as she told. While waiting for Taeyeon to finish her bath I managed to make two sandwiches for us. I the DVD player which was located in our living room and took out a rack full of movies. 

Just when I was about to decide a movie, Taeyeon arrived in the living room. Funny that I didn't even have to look back to see who was coming from the living room, because I memorized her footsteps and her vanilla smell.

"Have you decided a movie?" She squatted beside me.

"I am thinking of this" I took one DVD box and showed it to her. It was a Thailand movie, not old but not a recent movie either. From the title it sounded kinda romantic.

"Ah, Tiffany bought that one" Taeyeon giggled. "Nickhun recommended it for her because it's very romantic and, well you know Tiffany's always into that kind of thing"

"So, what about us?"

The first thing I noticed of her that morning was the changing aura on her face when I asked her opinion on watching that movie. Did I pick a wrong genre? She didn't want to watch something romantic these days?

"Of course I don't mind, let's watch it" She finally replied. I was relieved but also worried at the same time. Did she just agree because she didn't want to argue with me?

I inserted the disc into its place and clicked the 'play' button on the remote before giving one sandwich to Taeyeon. Again, she looked at me in an unusual way when she said 'thank you' for the food. Because I didn't want to ruin the movie, I just bottled the questions in my heart.

The movie lasted longer than we expected, but it turned out really good. It was about an ugly girl in her junior high school who fell in love with the same boy for a long time and kept fixing her physical appearance in order to get the boy's heart. 

While the movie was still going, I stole some glances to Taeyeon. She looked like she was really into the movie, but after a few more glances I noticed that she looked kinda sad. Well, the movie had a lot of funny scenes so far so I didn't get why she should look sad. Perhaps she put too much empathy toward the main girl character, but she wasn't usually like that either. 

When the movie got some boring scenes, that's when I wisely took a chance. I moved my body closer to her and hugged her waist, resting my chin on her shoulder. She didn't respond.

"Taeyeon?" I a little bit. "Are you not comfortable?"

"Huh? What? No, of course it's fine Sunny" She looked back at me. "Why did you ask? Is something bothering you Sunny? Am I not making you comfortable?"

"No, not like that, Taeyeon. Really, I was just asking. Nothing's wrong"

She kept her gaze at me for a few seconds until the scenes in the movie got her attention back. I let out a breath, relieved she didn't continue the question. We sat still in that position until the movie ended in a happy ending. The girl finally got the boy's heart after long years of waiting. 

"That was good" I made a brief comment. "Especially it's a happy ending"

There was a short silence before Taeyeon muttered a 'yeah'. I stopped the movie which was still on the credit scene and began looking for another movie. Surely we could not watch anymore romantic after this, or else it'd probably make Taeyeon more depressed, for an unknown reason.

"Sunny"

"Mm-hm?" My eyes were still busy on the rack.

"Do you think happy ending exist?" 

Once that came out of , I immediately stopped searching and slowly walking back to our sofa. Probably this time she'd open up...

"Of course! There's always a happy ending. Well, maybe not like in the fairy tales, but still happy ending. Just like the movie just now"

"No, but I mean.." Taeyeon hesitated before continuing. "Don't you sometimes think when a movie ends in a happy ending, does it really end there? I mean, if the movie were a real life story, it didn't end just there right? There are so many things to come up in the couple's life, and who knows they'll break up in the future so it's not a happy ending then?"

I watched her deeply while letting her finish the sentence. I took a moment to think about it. 

"It's true, what you said" I answered. "Of course there'll be more things coming up in a couple's life, and it doesn't stop in the point of a happy ending just like what we see in movies. But doesn't seeing the happy ending scene make us put more faith in the couple that they're going to be able to go through everything?"

This time, it was her who took a while to consider my answer.

"What if one of the main characters finds someone new and leaves the other alone? What if.. One of them gets bored to each other?"

"Well" I rolled up my eyes. "We shouldn't have believed in the couple in the first place, then. What is meant to be, will meant to be until the end"

She fell into silence again after that.  I didn't stop thinking either, because I had to think of why she asked that kind of question. It must have something to do with her feelings lately. And the reason why she didn't quite like romantic things lately...

"Sunny, sorry" She shocked me from my thoughts. "I think I'm just tired these days. I need to sleep"

And just like that, she left the living room and went inside our bedroom. I couldn't say anything to stop her she walked so fast. It couldn't be physically tired, I thought, she must be mentally tired. I sighed and decided to turn off the DVD player and put everything back into place. After that, I didn't care if I'd disturb her private time right now, but I got to know at least a little bit.

So, I opened our bedroom's door and found her on the bed, eyes still widely opened. I snuggled myself beside her, lingering her waist with my arms once more.

And we stayed like that for a few minutes until she suddenly turned her body to me. It happened so quickly I didn't realize she had brought her face closer to mine and locked our lips. 

"I love you" She whispered in the middle of our kisses. "I love you, Sunny"

I didn't say anything back until I was sure that she said those words differently than before. She said it hungrily. Like she wanted something more from me. So, thinking she probably wanted me to go 'that way', I began kissing her down her lips to her neck. I opened my mouth and her skin, leaving an obvious red mark there.

She did moan a bit, but after that she just continued kissing me again and again. I unconsciously had been on top of her, still fighting my own tongue with hers.

"How long" She suddenly said again. "How long will this last?"

The moment she asked that question, I stopped kissing her as something hit my mind. It was a simple question, but I thought I finally understood what she had been thinking, feeling, and wanting lately. The sadness on her face when she mentioned about marriage, her weird reaction toward romantic things, her questions about happy ending. They all started making sense in my brain.

If we both were main characters of a movie.

She got me and my heart, but she was afraid of losing me one day.

She was afraid that what might come next in our story, would separate her and me.

She was afraid I'd probably got bored of her and left her.

She was afraid that even if our life was happy and our love was strong right now, at some points our story might change. 

And all she needed me to do was to put in her heart a long-lasting faith that wouldn't change forever.