Treat 17

Alpha

That night I slept within the cocoon of Yifan’s arms, with the white cloak around me. I’d shifted back to human form with no problem at all.

“You’re a natural,” Yifan had said with a hint of pride in his voice.

We’d spent a lot of time kissing and talking before we’d finally drifted to sleep.

I woke up first. The light inside the cavern was dim, but it was enough so I could watch Yifan sleep. Being here with him, sleeping beside him—I knew it was where I belonged.

Last night when I’d transformed into a wolf, all that I’d been, all that I thought I’d ever be, had changed as well. I wasn’t who I had thought I was, but strangely, I now knew myself better than I ever had before.

The fears that had resided inside me—I knew now that they were my inner beast awakening.

Deep within me, I’d known a change was waiting, but I hadn’t realized what it was, I hadn’t known what to do.

This morning there was no fear. Not of my past and not of my future. I’d discovered my true self last night, and in the discovery my fears had dissipated.

And now I had Yifan. I was everything he’d expected, all that he wanted. And he was what I wanted. Very quietly, I got up and walked to the waterfall.

I wondered if my mother had experienced her first shift here. Had my dad helped her through it?

I tried to remember if I’d ever seen a mark on his shoulder. I was just a kid when they died. There was so much I hadn’t paid attention to.

But I had reconciled my memories of the day they’d died. The transformation had unlocked my past. I could clearly see them now on that last day we were together. They’d been trying to explain what I was, what we were. I could see them looking at me and each other with love.

They held no fear. For them the transformation was a celebration of what they—we—were.

They’d been so focused on making certain I wasn’t afraid that they hadn’t heard the hunters.

It had been a long time since I’d missed them. But I missed them now. I missed them terribly.

Although I didn’t hear him, I knew Yifan was there before he put his arms around me and drew me back against him. Where he was concerned, my senses were more in tune since the shift.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“I was thinking about my parents. Last summer I wasn’t ready to face the place where they died.” I turned within his arms and gazed into his eyes. “I think I need to do that, but I don’t know where they died.”

He tucked my loose hair behind my ear. “Someone in Wolford will know. Your parents were part of us.”

Wolford. The place he fought to protect, where the people he guarded sought sanctuary once a year.

I nodded. I’d doubted it before, but I believed it now. Strangely, the tightening in my stomach and the nerves that always accompanied thoughts of my parents’ death were absent. At long last, I was ready to deal with my past.

“Should we travel as wolves?” I asked.

“We will, but I can carry the backpack so we arrive with clothes.”

“Oh, good idea.” I furrowed my brow. “How do you handle that anyway—always finding clothes?”

“We have stashes hidden around. We’ll set some up for you. And whenever possible, you leave your clothes where you can find them again. You’ll learn it all.”

It took us a day and a half to get to Wolford. It wasn’t a place I could have found without a guide. It was near dusk when we arrived. I wasn’t certain village was the right word for it. It was a fortress, surrounded by a tall wrought-iron fence, topped with evil-looking spikes.

Wolves prowled the inside perimeter. Yet for all of its unique appearance, it did manage to somehow blend in with the landscape, so I didn’t really notice it until we were right upon it.

At the gate, Yifan punched numbers into a keypad and the heavy barrier slowly swung open. It appeared this place was a combination of ancient and modern.

Taking my hand, Yifan led me up the dirt path toward the large foreboding stone and brick structure. Two tiny Westies came yapping around the corner. Yifan dropped into a crouch and petted them.

“Are those really dogs?” I asked.

He laughed. “Of course.”

“Can we communicate with dogs?”

“Sure. You just say, ‘Sit, fetch, come.’ I can teach you the commands.”

Laughing, I slapped playfully at his arm. “Very funny.”

“You can’t read their thoughts,” he said, standing back up. The little dogs raced away. “I don’t even know if they have thoughts.”

“I guess I have to learn to accept our limitations and think in terms of what we are, not what we aren’t.”

“Something like that.”

I glanced around. “So, where exactly is the village?”

“There are a few buildings around, but most of it is gone except for this one.”

“It looks like a huge mansion or a fancy hotel or something.”

“It’s large enough to accommodate people who stay when they come for the solstice,” Yifan explained. “Only the elders live here on a permanent basis. The others gather for the summer solstice. That’s still a couple weeks away, so there won’t be many people here yet.”

“No problem. I’m fine easing my way into this.”

We walked up the massive steps leading to the front door. Yifan shoved it open. I was awed as we walked inside.

It was monstrously large. A grand, sweeping staircase rose from one side of the foyer. Portraits lined the walls and lights glittered through a huge crystal chandelier. It was like something out of Homes of the Rich and Famous .

“It’s not exactly a Wurness cabin, is it?” I asked.

Yifan chuckled. “No.”

“Do you live in something like this?”

“I live in a dorm.”

I smiled. “You know what I mean. Did you grow up in something like this?”

“No. Grew up in a normal house.”

I was still having a hard time thinking of Shifters as normal in any way.

“Yifan!” A large, booming voice sounded as a man with a mane of silver hair strode out of one of the nearby rooms—a room I could see into a little and thought was probably a parlor.

Yifan grew incredibly somber. “Dad.”

This was Yifan’s father? He looked like—well, quite honestly, he looked like he could be a politician. He grabbed Yifan in a huge bear hug. I could see a thin layer of tears in his eyes, eyes as silver as Yifan’s.

He moved Yifan back, but kept his hands wrapped around his arms.

“I’m so sorry about Devlin,” Yifan said. “I had no choice.”

“It’s hard, but it has been for some time now. We lost him long ago. The grief is strong, but there is also a measure of peace.”

“Mother—”

“She understands. It’s the way it had to be. Devlin betrayed us and himself.” He patted Yifan’s shoulder with a big, strong hand. “You cannot blame yourself.”

While his father’s words were comforting, I knew Yifan did carry a burden of guilt for what had happened. How could he not? He wouldn’t be the guy I loved if he didn’t feel some remorse.

His father turned his attention to me. “This must be Ye Jin.”

“Yes, sir.”

Mr. Wu gave me a small smile. “You remind me of your mother.”

I gasped. “You knew her?”

“Indeed. Your father, too. Good people.”

“Maybe you could tell me about them sometime. I have so few memories.”

“We’ll talk later.”

“Oh, Yifan!” An attractive older woman rushed from the parlor and wrapped her arms around him. She leaned back and cupped his face between her hands. Tears welled in her eyes. “I know you’re a guardian, but you’re still my little boy and I was so worried about you.”

“Mom, I’m sorry.”

“Shh,” she cooed. “You have nothing to apologize for. You took a vow to protect us at all costs. Sometimes the price is high. We know that.” She hugged him again, and I could feel some of the tension easing away from Yifan.

When she released him, he stepped back, took my hand, and drew me near. “Mom, this is Ye Jin.”

Mrs. Wu smiled at me. “Of course it is. Welcome back to the fold, my dear.”

“It’s good to be back . . . I think.”

“It’s where you’ve always belonged.” She hugged me. “We’ll talk later. Right now, the elders are waiting for you.”

Yifan and I walked alone through the huge house with our footsteps echoing around us. Finally we reached a room with life-sized statues of wolves on either side of the closed door. Yifan stopped and looked at me. “This is the counsel room,” he said quietly. “Only the elders and the Dark Guardians are allowed inside.”

“Then I should wait out here for you?”

“It’s your choice, Ye Jin. You don’t have to choose the life of a guardian, but I would speak in your favor if you did. I trust you with my life.”

“Do I have to fight for a place?”

“You have to take an oath to serve, protect, and guard.”

I released a self-conscious laugh.

“What?” he asked.

“My adoptive dad is a cop. I was thinking about majoring in criminal justice. I guess this isn’t that different. But there’s so much I don’t know.”

“I’ll teach you.”

He had no doubts, and because he didn’t, neither did I. “I want to do this, Yifan.”

He took my hand, opened the door, and we strode into a room with a huge, round table. “Do not tell me that King Arthur—”

“Maybe. After all, he had Merlin.”

I heard a squeal and turned.

“Bora!” I cried.

She wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly. “I’m so glad you’re back.”

Over her shoulder, I saw Min Ji.

“You should have told me, Bora,” I said. “All those emails, text messages, IMs, and you couldn’t mention it?”

“You would have freaked out. You might have left and then what?”

“So you and Min Ji are both Dark Guardians?”

“Apprentices. We haven’t shifted yet, but next full moon . . .” She sighed. “Can’t wait.”

A banging on the table caught our attention. Yifan led me around to two empty seats at the table. I guessed they’d known I was coming.

It was very easy to tell who were the elders and who were the Dark Guardians. The elders were, well, elderly, and the guardians were all young and had the look of warriors about them. An elder stood up. He had a wizened face and gray hair that touched his shoulders. “Is she one of us?”

“Yes, Grandfather, she is,” Yifan said. I was slightly stunned that this man was Yifan’s grandfather, but it made sense. The role of leader passed down from grandfather to grandson.

“She is also my mate. Where she goes, I go.”

Yifan’s grandfather nodded what I thought was his approval. His pale, silver eyes focused on me. “Are you willing to take the oath?”

“I am.”

He moved around in front of me. “Kneel.”

It seemed an archaic ritual, but still I dropped to one knee. Yifan knelt beside me and took my hand.

“Are you sure we’re not getting married here?” I whispered.

“I’m sure.”

“Do you, Ye Jin, swear to hold our secrets and to guard us from all evil and harm that may come our way?”

“I so swear.”

I wasn’t sure how I knew those were the words I needed to say, but the old man’s eyes lit up and Yifan squeezed my hand.

“Then you are welcomed into the ranks of the Dark Guardians,” he said somberly.

I heard applause as Yifan rose and pulled me to my feet. Then, one by one, the remaining elders introduced themselves. Afterward, each Dark Guardian approached and Yifan handled the introductions. Suho was there, of course, and Chanyeol. There were six others whom I didn’t know: four guys and two girls. When Bora and Min Ji finished their apprenticeship, there would be twelve Dark Guardians. I supposed in time that I’d get to know the others better.

When everyone had been introduced, we took our places at the table, as did the elders.

Yifan’s grandfather, Elder Wu, then spoke to the group. “It is with great sadness that we must report that Devlin did a lot of damage with his mischief. These scientists will not give up easily. We must prepare for what is to come.”

Yifan stood. “Much of the danger we now face is my fault because I hesitated to kill my brother when I had the opportunity—when I should have. I know there is some doubt about my ability to be an effective leader. If anyone wishes to challenge my right to lead, I am ready to face that challenge.”

“What? No!” I came to my feet so fast that I nearly knocked over the chair. “If anyone challenges you, they’ll have to get through me first.”

“Ye Jin—”

“It wouldn’t be fair. Not until your wound is completely healed. And I don’t see how it’s your fault that Devlin went bad.”

Several throats were cleared, and I realized that I’d probably broken some protocol.

“She has a point,” Elder Wu said. “But I don’t think you’ll find anyone willing to challenge you.”

The elder was right. No one challenged him. Which was a good thing, because I’d been serious about kicking if someone did. I’d just found Yifan. I wasn’t going to let anyone take him away from me.

Discussion continued for a while, but the majority wanted to take a wait-and-see approach.

Maybe the scientists wouldn’t return. But I thought that was just wishful thinking. After a while, we were dismissed.

Later that night, after dinner, Yifan and I sat on a love seat in a grand room with a huge fireplace. His parents sat across from us.

“You can’t believe how relieved we were when your adoptive parents brought you here last summer,” Mrs. Wu said. “When you and Bora became such good friends, we knew she’d be able to convince you to return this summer.”

“Why didn’t everyone just tell me everything last summer?” I asked.

“To be honest,” Mr. Wu said, “we weren’t sure what to do. You were a unique case, Ye Jin. We’d never had one of our own raised by outsiders. There were several other people in the woods the day your parents died. They immediately called the police, and the authorities got to you before we could. We’d never had a situation like this. We were at a loss. We did what we could to find you, but records were sealed. We have only so much influence.”

I hated to think what might have happened if I hadn’t come back to the woods last summer. It had been scary enough going through my first transformation with some idea of what might happen. But to have gone through it knowing nothing at all?

And my poor adoptive parents . . .

“So, my adoptive parents—I just return to them at the end of the summer and act like nothing has happened?”

“Can you do that?” Mrs. Wu asked. “Or we could talk with them, claim to be lost relatives, arrange for you to move up here.”

I shook my head. “They love me. I don’t want to leave them until it’s time to go to college.” I squeezed Yifan’s hand. “It wouldn’t be fair to them. I want to let them have this last year with me that they were expecting.” My adoptive mom had already made all kinds of graduation plans. I was their daughter, after all.

“They’ll understand me falling in love over the summer and wanting to go to the same college you do next year. Besides, you’ll need my dad’s seal of approval.”

He grimaced.

“It won’t be that bad,” I assured him. “You both serve and protect, so you’ll have that in common.”

“Except I can’t tell him that,” Yifan said.

“But he’ll sense it.” My dad was good at judging people.

I turned my attention back to Yifan’s parents. “Do you know the place where my parents died?”

Mr. Wu nodded. “I’ll give Yifan directions.”

Before bed, Yifan and I took a walk around outside. Being in a house, even one as large as this one, had me feeling on edge. I’d always liked the outdoors, but now it meant much more to me.

It was where I wanted to be.

“Are you overwhelmed?” Yifan asked quietly.

“No, your parents are nice. What if Bora hadn’t convinced me to come?”

“I would have gone to you, Ye Jin.”

I put my arm around him and snuggled in against him. “I thought things would change when I turned seventeen. I didn’t expect them to change this much.” I peered up at him. “I didn’t expect to get a boyfriend.”

“You’ve got more than that.” He stopped walking and turned me to face him. He put his hand over his chest. “My heart, my soul, my life . . . they’re all yours.”

I felt tears sting my eyes. “I love you, Yifan.”

He took me in his arms and kissed me. As always, it was wonderful and warm, and so Yifan.

As we walked back to the house, he asked, “Are you nervous about tomorrow?”

He’d gotten the directions from his father, and we were going to go to the place where my parents had died.

“A little,” I admitted. “I wish you could sleep with me tonight.”

Arrangements had been made for me to share a room with Bora and Min Ji. After all we’d been through together, it seemed odd that we wouldn’t be together tonight—but we were around parents and apparently Shifter parents weren’t any different from Static parents when it came to how they felt about girls and guys sleeping together.

“The guardians are all here because of what happened with Mason and his group. They’ll all be leaving tomorrow to head back to the park entrance. We have other groups to lead. So tomorrow, you and I won’t come back here. We’ll sleep beneath the stars.”

“Can’t wait. But we’ll return for the summer solstice?”

“Yeah. In a couple of weeks.”

I glanced around. “What if Mason and his group find this place?”

“We’ll deal with it.”

We walked back to the house. I had high hopes that tomorrow would truly unlock my past.

 

The next morning, Yifan and I left before dawn. We shifted so we could travel more quickly. I had to admit that I enjoyed several aspects of my wolf form. My senses were heightened, and after each transformation they remained a little more sensitive when I was in human form. I was surprised by how natural it all seemed to shift from human to wolf and back again—with little more than a thought.

I lost track of time, and yet I somehow knew when we were nearing our destination. I couldn’t explain it. I slowed from a racing run to a walk—and then I halted completely. I was breathing unusually heavily and I knew it was nerves. I wasn’t afraid of what I would discover.

I knew all the secrets now. But everything was going to seem more intense. My parents had died here.

Yifan noticed I was no longer keeping pace with him. Still in wolf form, he returned to my side and dropped the backpack at my feet. After he casually padded out of sight behind a thicket, I shifted and changed into shorts and a tank. I tossed the backpack his way.

It was only a few minutes before he rejoined me, in human form and dressed in jeans and Tshirt.

“It’s over here,” he said, taking my hand.

“I know.”

He gave me a surprised look. “Do you recognize the place?”

“No, not really, and yet it’s familiar.”

“Dad drew me a little map of the place. He said the police reports indicated everything happened over here.”

I began to get chilled as we neared a place where the brush was thick. I knew that in all these years, things would have changed. Trees would have died. Others would have grown. But there was a wall of rock with thick scrub brush along its base.

Kneeling down I parted the brush to reveal a small cavern. Images bombarded me.

Hiding.

“Be quiet, Ye Jin.”

My parents—

Breathing heavily, I stood up quickly and glanced around.

“What is it?” Yifan asked.

“I remember. They brought me here. They wanted—” I dropped to the ground and buried my face in my hands. “They transformed. They were so beautiful. Then we heard the hunters yelling about seeing wolves . . . There were gunshots. So loud.”

I fought to remember everything. Yifan knelt beside me and placed his hand on my knee.

“Don’t force it,” he said.

I shook my head. “No, I . . . Mommy pushed me inside that little cave. Then she changed to human form and got dressed. The hunters were drunk. They kept shooting where they’d seen wolves. It was chaos.” I shook my head. I couldn’t see it clearly. All I know is that my parents had been in human form when they died—because they were dressed. They’d each taken a bullet through the heart.

“I remember waiting, terrified and quiet.” I looked at the small cave, now hidden. “I heard footsteps. It was one of the hunters. He found me and took me away. I guess I’ll never have all the answers.” I twisted around and faced Yifan. “I think they wanted to show me what we were so I wouldn’t be afraid. But because of what happened, I was always afraid—because I didn’t understand what they didn’t want me to be afraid of.”

“Are you still afraid?” he asked.

“No.” I touched his cheek. “I have you.”

“Always,” he said.

That night we made camp near a series of small waterfalls.

Standing beneath the great black sky, I leaned my back against his chest. He brought his arms around me and dipped his head to nuzzle my neck. He was my mate. Forever. Or at least as long as we were both breathing.

I glanced up at the moon. Already it was waning toward darkness. By the time the summer solstice arrived, it would be a tiny sliver. There were still dangers out there. I could feel them threatening. When they arrived, I’d face them with the Dark Guardians, because now I was one of them.

But for tonight, we were safe.

I turned within Yifan’s arms. He lowered his mouth to mine and kissed me passionately.

The taste of him, the scent of him reaffirmed that we were alive. For now, it was enough. For now, it was everything.

 

-the end-