Treat 12

Alpha

For such a little word, us had huge ramifications. Us could mean the human race. Well, except that he wasn’t human, not totally. Or at least, I didn’t think he was. It could mean that since I’d rescued him, I was now destined to follow him around. In some cultures, when a person saved someone’s life, they were tied together forever. I’d read that somewhere. My babbling mind was searching for other explanations for us . Maybe it meant . . .

God, who was I kidding here? There was only one thing that it could mean and it wasn’t what I wanted it to mean. Us. Whatever he was, he was including me in that little circle of weirdness. It wasn’t natural. People did not turn into wolves. I had enough freakish baggage to deal with. I was not going to add being physically abnormal to the list.

Jon moaned.

Yi Fan took my hand. “Come on, we gotta go before he sounds the alarm.”

I shook my head. “I’m not like you.”

“We’ll discuss it later. We have to go.”

“I’m not going.”

“Ye Jin, in less than forty-eight hours they’ll know the truth about you, then you’ll be the one in the cage. If you survive the transformation. You need me to help you do that . . .if you want to survive.”

This was just getting better and better. Not only was he saying that I was going to go all furry, but . . . I might die in the process if he wasn’t there? My mind was trying to process this, and it just wouldn’t. I was human. I was not like him. And us ? How many of us were there? I couldn’t make sense of any of this. I just couldn’t understand it. It was too large to comprehend. My mind wanted to shut down.

There really were people who could transform into wolves? And I was one of them?

The whole idea was totally out of control.

Jon groaned louder and started struggling to get up. Yi Fan and I were back in the shadows, but it wouldn’t be long until Jon was aware of us.

Yi Fan apparently had reached the end of his patience, because he dipped down, picked me up, and slung me over his shoulder. Before I could even catch my breath to voice a protest, he was running. Fast. His feet, as always, were silent.

How could he be so strong, so quick, so quiet when I was draped over his shoulder? What was he? Superwolf?

I was still clutching my flashlight. I thought about swinging it between his legs. That would stop him and dump me on the ground at the same time. But I didn’t. I just hung there with trees rushing by in a blur.

You’re one of us.

I’m one of them.

I thought about this strange fear that had been circling inside me—the fear with origins I couldn’t figure out. I considered all the strange inner sensations I’d had, the feeling that I was changing in ways I couldn’t comprehend.

I told myself they were normal teenage fears, normal teenage changes.

I wasn’t one of them . Yi Fan was wrong. Maybe he wanted me to be like him.

But he was mistaken. I wasn’t like him. I was normal. I was Ye Jin, confused teenage girl.

I was not about to become a werewolf.

I don’t know how long or how far Yi Fan ran before I finally yelled, “Okay already, stop!”

He didn’t listen. He just kept going.

I hit his with my flashlight. “Stop! I mean it! Stop or I’ll—”

I’ll what? He’s bigger, tougher, stronger.

Maybe he heard something in my voice, or maybe he was just worn out, but he came to a halt and let me down. My feet hit the earth, but my legs were wobbly and I collapsed onto the ground.

He crouched beside me. He was breathing heavily, like I did when I ran up stairs. But it seemed like after all that running with me over his shoulder, he should be panting, gasping. I’d never in a million years be so in shape.

The moonlight was breaking through the branches, but I wanted more. I wanted sunlight, but it wouldn’t be here for a few more hours. I my flashlight. I didn’t shine it directly into his face. I didn’t need to. Just having it on was enough.

“You didn’t run into anything,” I said. It was a mindless thing to say. I guess he thought so, too, because he looked a little surprised.

“I have really good night vision,” he finally said.

“Is that because you’re a—”

“Yeah. Vision, hearing, smell—they all improve after the first transformation.”

I nodded and swallowed. “So what are you . . . exactly?”

“Technical term is lycanthrope. We refer to ourselves as Shifters. People who don’t know any better call us werewolves.” He glanced around. “We need to start walking, put more distance between us and the Statics.”

“Statics?” I asked.

“Those who never change.” He said it with a hint of sadness. I didn’t know if he was feeling sorry for those who didn’t have the ability to shift or those who did.

He took my hand and pulled me to my feet. I swayed. If I hadn’t knocked against him, I probably would have hit the ground again. His arms came around me and he held my gaze. “I know it’s a shock, everything you’ve learned tonight.”

Ya think? I shook my head, then nodded. I was still so confused. My brain wasn’t firing on all cylinders. “What did you mean when you said ‘if I wanted to survive’?”

Gently, he touched my cheek with his fingertips. They were rough and callused. I didn’t want to think that earlier in the night they’d also sported claws that could rip my face apart. “The first time you shift it’s painful, like childbirth. In a way, I guess that makes sense. You’re giving birth to your inner wolf. So you need your mate there to coach you through it.”

“My mate?” Is he for real?

“Don’t you feel it?” he asked. “This pull between us?”

Was he talking about this thing that terrified me?

I stepped away from him. “I don’t want this!” I stalked around in the little bit of area we had between the trees. “I didn’t ask for this!” I came to an abrupt halt. “So what? At some point in my life I was bitten?”

“It’s genetic, just like Dr.Won said.”

“You’re saying that I inherited this ability to shift? What? Like from my parents? That they were”—I stuttered and stopped, trying to wrap my mind around the ramifications—“that they were wolves?”

He just looked at me.

“That’s insane! They would have told me.” I had this flash memory of wolves. I ignored it.

“And you’re wrong. I’m not one of you.”

His large shoulders rolled into a shrug. “Okay, you’re not. But you’d better stick with me—just in case I’m right. Besides, Evil Scientist will know you helped me escape and he’s not very forgiving.”

My brow furrowed so deeply that it hurt. “How did you know that I call him that?” I backed up a step. “Oh my God! You can read minds?” My voice shimmered with outrage and accusation.

He didn’t bother to deny it. Did he know everything I thought?

“Only when I’m in wolf form,” he said. He took the flashlight, clicked it off, and handed it back to me. “No sense in broadcasting where we’re going.”

He grabbed my hand and tugged me deeper into the woods. I didn’t want to go, but he was right.

Unfortunately. I was stuck with him until I could figure out my alternatives.

My eyes adjusted to the wilderness bathed in moonlight. I was following so closely behind Yi Fan that I pretty much stepped where he stepped. His hand held mine firmly. He was so tall and broad, and his fingers felt so strong wrapped around mine, that I wondered if he was naturally this way or if it came about when he first shifted into wolf form. Of course, I guessed that naturally was the wrong word. On the other hand, for him shifting was natural. Not to shift was weird.

It was an upside-down, insane world that I was suddenly part of.

I had a gazillion questions, but since we were trying to be quiet until we reached wherever we were going— I hadn’t asked and he hadn’t said, but his strides definitely had a purpose—I kept all my questions to myself. Besides, he was moving fast and I was having a difficult time keeping pace. I had thought I was in decent shape, but I was breathing like a dog after it chased a Frisbee. Dog, wolf—I needed to stop thinking about animals.

I didn’t have a lot of time left to figure out how not to shift into a wild creature—if I truly was about to shift. I still had doubts about that. Wouldn’t you know , deep down, if you were part wolf or had any bit of wolf in you? It just all seemed inconceivable. But if it was about to happen, surely there was some way to prevent it. If I fought it . . . mind over matter. Or in this case, mind over wolf. I just wouldn’t accept it.

Because if I accepted it, did I have to accept Yi Fan as my mate? Shouldn’t I have a choice in the matter?

He’d asked if I felt the pull. I couldn’t deny that I did. And that it terrified me.

It wasn’t like a crush. It wasn’t like seeing a guy and thinking I’d like him to take me to the prom. It was soul-deep, as though he was everything, the one, forever. I had to remind myself that I barely knew the guy. But still I couldn’t shake the feeling of being meant for each other— as corny as that sounded.

We were going into a part of the wilderness that I’d never been to before. The brush was thick, the trees growing closely together. The thick canopy overhead nearly blocked out every drop of moonlight. He was dragging me up an incline and then stopping me from skidding down on the other side.

I remembered that he was barefoot. His feet would be a bloodied mess of scrapes and cuts. He never complained. He never grunted. He just kept going as though the hounds of hell were on our tail.

Only he was the hound of hell.

I was completely lost. My movements were robotic, made without thought.

Eventually we were scrambling up the side of a rocky, forested slope. I knew instinctively that Yi Fan could have shifted and been far away by now. He could have traversed the rugged terrain easily. Instead, he had to keep reaching back for me.

“You should go on,” I insisted after sliding down a couple of feet and skinning my elbows.

“I’m not leaving you.”

“But you’re the one in the most danger. They won’t harm me.”

He stopped and gave me a hard look over his shoulder. “I’m not leaving you, Ye Jin.”

Stubborn. So what if Mason and his “friends” found me? They’d just keep trailing after Yi Fan, and I could drift away. But it was obvious that Yi Fan wasn’t going to listen. I put some extra muscle into my efforts.

When I finally caught up to him, he said, “Okay, just keep climbing. I’m going back to erase our trail. I won’t be gone long.”

In a panic, I grabbed his arm. “You’ll lose me.”

“I can track your scent.”

“Really? Do you need to take a piece of my clothing or something, to remind you?”

“No, but—” He leaned in against my throat. I heard him inhale. “You smell so good. I’d find you anywhere.”

Was that his idea of romance? I couldn’t deny that it did warm me. Before I could respond, he was gone.

I wanted to sit down and think about all this. I wanted to try to make sense of it. Everything had started to get weird after the river. Maybe I’d really drowned. Maybe I was in hell. But that didn’t make sense either. What I did know was that Yi Fan was in danger and if I didn’t start moving, Dr.Won and his group might catch up with us. I wasn’t worried about me. I wasn’t the one they wanted to study. But I didn’t want anything to happen to Yi Fan.

My worries for him gave an urgency to my movements. I was determined not to be the reason that he ended up back in that cage. Being studied, like an animal in a lab. An animal . That word resounded in my head. When I looked at Yi Fan now, I saw a human who transformed into a wolf. Mason and his dad saw a wolf. They didn’t see the human anymore, the person. They saw only the unusual creature whose existence defied logic.

Their view of him justified putting him in a cage. My view had compelled me to set him free.

I slipped, caught hold of a sapling, and clung to it, catching my breath while trying to figure out how I could go farther. Everything suddenly seemed crammed together. Small crevices and rocks. Which way would keep him safe?

“You made better progress than I expected,” he said as he approached me.

I nearly screamed at the unexpectedness of his arrival. He needed to wear a collar with bells or something so I’d hear him approaching.

He sat beside me. “You okay?”

I nodded. “Just taking a minute to catch my breath.”

“It gets harder from here,” he said.

“Oh, great.”

“But I have a plan.” He got up, moved away, and ducked behind some brush.

“What are you—” Something landed on my face. I pulled it away. His pants. “Uh, Yi Fan?”

“It’s okay. I’m going to shift. I’m more surefooted as a wolf. You’ll climb on my back, and we’ll make better time.”

“You’re not a horse.”

“Trust me. This is the only way to get where we need to be.”

I couldn’t see him clearly. “I do trust—”

He was gone and the wolf stepped out.

“We should take this show to Vegas,” I mumbled.

He released a tiny growl that sounded more like a chuckle. Could wolves laugh?

He nudged my thigh.

“I don’t think I can.”

He my hand.

“Oh, okay, when you put it that way.” I tied the pants around my waist. I straddled Yi Fan and dug my fingers into his fur to hang on. I bent my legs back and put my feet on his backside so they weren’t dragging the ground. I clung to him when he started moving. I could feel his muscles bunching and stretching beneath me. He was so powerful. I wondered if I would be like this as well. Did he work out or was his physique related to his genes? He had such a hot bod—

I shut down the thought, remembering that when he was in this form, he could read my thoughts. I worked to make my mind go blank. It was an invasion of privacy, this ability he had, and we were going to have to set up parameters, but until we did, I started mentally arranging the shoes in my closet back home. My mom was a shoeaholic, so I had at least fifty pairs that I could think about while Yi Fan clambered over uneven terrain. We went through narrow crevices.

Eventually he stopped and gave his body a little shake. I climbed off him. He wandered over to a bush and went behind it.

“Throw me my pants,” he said, standing up so his head and shoulders were visible.

“You do that really fast.” I tossed him the pants.

“You will, too, once you get used to it and learn the tricks.”

Number one: I’d never get used to it. Number two: I wasn’t convinced I was going to go furry. Number three: I didn’t want to learn any tricks.

Yi Fan came out from behind the bush. “Shoes? You really own that many pairs of shoes?”

I released a self-conscious laugh. “Can you turn that off? Getting inside my head?”

“There’s a way to mute your thoughts. I’ll teach you.”

“Good, because it wouldn’t be fair if you knew everything I was thinking but you were

screening your thoughts from me.”

“There isn’t anything I’d think that I wouldn’t want you to know.” He took my hand again. “It’s just a little farther.”

We went down a little bit and took a turn. In the distance I could hear the rushing of water.

I stumbled over something, lost my balance—

Yi Fan caught me before I could do a face-plant. How did he move so fast? If he was right about me, would I have reflexes that quick? Did I want them?

“Almost there,” he said as he helped me to regain my balance.

“Where’s ‘there’?”

“A hiding place.”

When I thought of a hiding place, I thought of someplace small and dark. A place where you crouched and quaked. I wasn’t looking forward to it. Especially since I’d be cramped into and nestled right up against Yi Fan. Would I be able to resist my urges?

We stepped out of the woods and into a small clearing. Moonlight spilled around us. The rushing water I’d heard was a waterfall cascading down the side of the mountain. Yi Fan let go of my hand. I was stunned to realize that I suddenly felt bereft. I almost reached for his hand. Not because I was afraid, but because I didn’t want to break the connection between us.

“Wow, this is awesome.” For a minute I forgot that we were being hunted by Evil Scientist and his crew. “I didn’t know anything remotely like this existed around here.”

“We have a lot of similar places in this forest.”

“‘We’? You say that like you own the forest.”

“Technically it’s federal land, but yeah, it’s ours.”

“What? So there’s really a village hidden away out here, like Mason said? Are there really others like you?”

He got eerily still, as though he was trying to decide how much he could trust me. I guess my attitude about not wanting to be whatever he was caused doubts about my sincerity. If I was going to reconnect with Mason’s group, I figured the less I knew the better.

“Go ahead and turn on your flashlight,” he said, totally ignoring my question. “You’ll probably need it where we’re going.”

“And where is that?”

“Into the waterfall.”