04 Your Drums, Your Love

Exo Couture

I've been treading water for your love

Whether I sink or swim,it's you I'm thinking of


Riding the elevator calmly Kris practiced a few smooth lines by himself, maybe while he handed the flowers over he could say something like “I got them because they were beautiful and they reminded me of you.”

The blonde let out a grin, he was so smooth.

Once the ding of the elevator signaled he was on the right floor, he took long lean strides towards the familiar door and coolly rapped on it twice with the back of his hand. The orchard held comfortably in his other hand for an air on nonchalance.

The door opened to reveal the doe-eyed short boy who’s been prancing through Kris’ mind nonstop. And holy does he look good. Way better than Kris had expected actually. Kyungsoo is sporting some slim rolled up burgundy chino pants, a tucked in white v neck tee and a comfy looking navy cardigan. Two of the items Kris had personally picked out on their shopping spree from the other day.

His hair was also neat and looked recently cut as he sported noticeable shaved sides, which where a trend these days. Kris mentally fanned himself; he always had a weakness for men with undercuts.

“Hey there! You’re earlier than I thought you’d be-oh, is that for me?” He motioned toward the orchid held in Kris’ hand.

But the taller male wasn’t listening, mind going blank as soon as he heard the word early. He can’t believe it, he had been too much in a rush to not be late that he forgot that was his plan to begin with. In fact, judging by the clock on the wall he can see behind Kyungsoo’s head he’s right on time. To the t.

Something is touching the vase and the blonde male quickly realizes Kyungsoo is waiting for the orchid. “Oh-yeah this is for you.” He says as he quickly hands over the vase, completely forgetting to recite his earlier practiced line. The water splashes dangerously close to the rim as Kris applied more force than necessary.

Kyungsoo’s face breaks out into a pretty smile “Thank you, it’s beautiful” He admires the plant for a moment before sidestepping and opening his door wider. “Oh, sorry come on in! Dinners almost ready, actually, would you mind helping me set the table?”

“I’d be glad too.” Kris responds a little too eagerly and takes off his shoes, putting on some home slippers by the door before following Kyungsoo to the kitchen. The apartment is small but its furniture is minimalistic giving it a more spacious feel. It’s extremely clean as well and it would seem like no one was living there had there not been multiple framed pictures lining the walls and some knickknacks scattered here and there adding a personal touch.

The smell coming from the kitchen is heavenly and despite the small meal Kris had ate earlier his stomach growls from the promise of homemade food, because of his busy schedule he never has time to visit his family in Canada or enjoy his mother’s cooking, so this dinner hits him especially hard in the nostalgia zone.

Kyungsoo instructs him on where the plates are and the blonde neatly starts taking them out of the cupboard and placing them on the table. He’s setting down the cups when an unfamiliar voice comes from his right.

“Wow, that smells delicious Kyungsoo.”

Kris immediately turns to look at the intruder and comes face to face with an unexpected male. He has handsome features and bronze skin, his fashion however is just as bad as Kyungsoo’s because he’s wearing loose black harem pants (so last season to be honest) and a super revealing tank top.

The blonde squints his eyes, who in the world is this guy?

“You sure you don’t want to eat before you go?” Kyungsoo asks, giving the other male a pitiful look, Kris can feel a vein in his eye twitch.

“No, I have to go or I’ll be late to practice.” The stranger laughs and finally turns to look at Kris, sizing him up in a way that the blond definitely does not like.

In fact Kris is ready to spew something sassy out before the short male cuts him off.

“Oh , this is my roommate Jongin! Jongin this is Kris.”

Jongin gives him a smile and reaches out a hand. Kris eyes it warily with a look of distaste before bringing up his own to give him a handshake. He makes a mental note to wash his hands after because who knows where this ‘Jongin’ character has been.

Luckily Jongin doesn’t take up more time because he’s out the door as fast as he came and Kris picks at his clothes nonchalantly and tries to sound as uninterested as possible.

“Oh, I didn’t know you had a roommate Kyungsoo.”

The shorter male has his back turned stirring the soup when he replies.

“Yeah sorry I didn’t mention it before. I’ve known Jongin since high school, we decided to share an apartment when we both found out we would be attending the same university. Helps out the bills a lot.”

Kris nods silently, but the burning in his throat hasn’t subdued. There’s still so much he wants to ask, so he lets himself indulge one more time.

“He mentioned practice right? What for?”

This time Kyungsoo did turn around and eyed Kris quizzically but the older pretended he was fixing the plates and ignored the look. Kyungsoo just shrugged and turned back to his soup.

“For dance, he’s a dancer-or at least studying to be one.”

Kris lets out a ahh of confirmation and holds back anymore Jongin questions, for now at least. He would get to the bottom of this mysterious roommate later. The delicious aroma of the cooking is invading his nostrils and Kris finishes setting the table to go hover behind Kyungsoo, hoping if he looks pitiful enough he can get a preview of what’s to come.

The younger male is so much smaller compared to the blonde, his head grazing Kris’s upper chest. In fact, Kyungsoo’s head would make a wonderful head rest for Kris’s chin. The older tucks away that tidbit of information for later usage instead making a happy noise when Kyungsoo brings up a spoon towards Kris so the latter can have a taste.

“Alright now I just need to let this seep for a couple minutes and it should be done.” The black haired male proclaimed and Kris nodded and stepped back fidgeting with his collar clips in an effort to distract himself.

“So how has school been?” Kris asks casually as he leans against the kitchen counter, it’s no different than asking about the weather but he figures they could get into deeper topics later, that and everything Kris wanted to talk about before seemed to of slipped from his brain entirely.

“It’s been well! I’ve gotten quite a few compliments at the change of my attire, so I’d like to thank you for that.” The shorter laughs looking at Kris with a mixture of exasperation and awe like he still couldn’t believe a complete stranger would spend so much on someone they’d just met, and all over a pair of sweats no less. A small part of Kris feels special because of that. “What about you? How’s the runway life?” Kyungsoo asks with an air of teasing.

“I don’t walk myself Soo, that’s what the models are for.” Kris chuckles, nickname coming out without him realizing, but something in the faint of a smile on the shorter males face tells him it’s not entirely unwelcome.

“Really? But you definitely have the height, and looks!” Kyungsoo compliments bluntly and the blonde feels his face get warm. Sure he’s gotten his fair share of compliments but none have felt as honest as Kyungsoo’s, something about the shorter male thinking he’s attractive sends a tingle down his spine.

They chat about other small things until the soup is ready and Kyungsoo serves him generously, Kris doesn’t have it in him to mention he’s not that hungry, but looking at the large bowl of jjigae well, he was never one to turn down a challenge. The food is delicious; it’s the perfect blend of restaurant quality with homemade flavors mixed in that the older male just knows he will be craving it again for weeks. Maybe he can convince Kyungsoo to let him takes some home. They talk more and more until the plates are empty and their bellies full. The taller insists on washing the dishes but Kyungsoo shoots him an icy look of rejection that sends him reeling as he meekly gives in.

They’re on Kyungsoo’s couch and despite the ample room they’re sitting close to each other, to the point Kyungsoo’s legs are brushing against his own and no doubt can the younger smell his expensive cologne. It’s comfortable and nerve-wracking at the same time, because Kris can’t stop staring at the younger’s lips as he talks and he doesn’t know how long he can keep it subtle. Minutes blend into hours and just as Kris has Kyungsoo laughing his lungs out at one of his embarrassing beginner runway stories does a shrill beeping alarm cut him off.

The doe eyed boy looks at him curiously as Kris groans and digs into his pocket to retrieve his phone, ready to put it on silent when the message displayed on the screen catches his eye. Flight 33425 to Hong Kong Departs in an Hour. A wave of cold air washes over the blonde as he curses under his breath. Kyungsoo eyes him with a tilt of his head that doesn’t look that unlike a puppy. Kris curses again before sliding to his legs, feeling the muscles stretch from being seated so long. How the hell did the time pass so fast?

“I have to go.” Kris says regretfully, and the shorter nods in understanding but Kris doesn’t miss the way his face falls slightly. “Let me walk you to the door.” Kyungsoo replies before lifting himself from the couch as well, opening the door for the taller male and Kris lingers by the doorway.

“Thank you for inviting me, I had a wonderful time.” Kris responds honestly, laying himself bare for Kyugsoo, normally he’d pretend to be more nonchalant or have a cool exit but there’s a strong sense of vulnerability between them and Kris falls into it easily.

The shorter rocks on his heels, giving the taller male a soft smile. “and thank you for coming.”

There’s a million things running through Kris’ mind, it would be so easy to lean down and steal a kiss, knock him off is feet with a goodbye that’ll last, but the blonde feels rooted to the ground and as much as he wants to act he can’t seem to move. “I-I’ll call you.” He says instead after a beat, referencing when they had exchanged numbers earlier while they were chatting. “Ok.” Kyungsoo responds, soft smile still on his face and Kris turns on his heel and walks away.

Later, when he’s on a plane thousands of miles away and pulls out his phone to stare at the newly written name on his contacts list, if he decides to add a little heart emojii next to it, well, no one would have to know.

 


 tumblr / twitter

AN: before u say im trash for not updating for 7 months let me explain u a thing, ok i am trash im really sorry but i'll be dammed if i abandoned this story. I'm definitely planning on finishing it but because my writing muse is  running dry I might only be able to update sporadically.