02 Say You Don't Want It

Exo Couture

Don't you ask me if it's love, my dear
Love don't really mean a thing 'round here
The fake scenes the plastic-made dreams
Say you don't want it, say you don't want it


Later that day Kris is sitting outside a small coffee shop in Gangnam sipping on his Americano thoughtfully. The waitress keeps sending him signals and it’s not the first time she’s discreetly tried to ask him out but Kris doesn’t have time for games today.

He’s here for one thing and one thing only.

In fact his one thing is running late it seems.

Kris scowls into his coffee and taps the table impatiently; he checks his watch and then scans the streets for what felt like the hundredth time. Finally he can’t stand it anymore and sits up, crumpling with his hands before throwing it in the trash can. The waitress looks broken hearted as he leaves the shop but Kris is too annoyed to care.

Before he really goes anywhere though a familiar blob of black hair is approaching him.

Kris can’t even act annoyed because Kyungsoo is wearing the ugliest pair of jeans and the most unfitting shirt that he feels a strong need to gage his eyes out.

Kris of course is rocking some patterned polka dot pants and black skull shirt with his favorite hat and white shoes looking like he just stepped out of the runway called his life.

Kyungsoo doesn’t seem to find is as magical because the first thing he utters when he’s in front of the other is “What are you wearing?” His impossibly large doe-eyes scan the taller male up and down looking way more amused than Kris is feeling.

Kris is at a loss for words because he can’t possibly begin to explain to someone so…unfashionable the worth and sheer beauty his outfit has. So instead he opts to scoff at the younger.

“What am I wearing? Did you even see yourself in the mirror before you left the house? Those jeans look like you stole them off some homeless person’s body and that shirt-“

Kyungsoo just shakes his head and interrupts him before he continues his rant. “Yeah yeah here.” Kyungsoo hands Kris a black plastic bag he brought with him, contents safely concealed inside. “This is what you wanted right?”

Kris lets the interruption slide and impatiently takes the black plastic bag from Kyungsoo. Like a kid on Christmas he peeks inside and sees a familiar horrible looking grey fabric. Then with a disgusted noise he goes towards the nearest trash can and dumps the bag inside.

“Hey!” Kyungsoo yells annoyed beyond belief. “Did you really make me go all the way out here to Gangnam getting lost multiple times and almost jumped once bringing you my favorite pair of sweats just so you can throw them away!?”

Kris gives Kyungsoo a pointed look, quirking his brow as if saying duh before replying with a simple. “Of course, those things were disgusting, they’re lucky their being simply thrown away rather than burned like I originally planned.”

The shorter male looks at him in disbelief, eyebrows scrunching up cutely and mouth falling open to form a pretty heart shape before he’s turning on his heel and walking away surprisingly fast for someone with such short legs.

That’s why it only takes someone of much longer legs like Kris to catch up in merely two strides forward. He puts a hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder to stop him.

“Hey where do you think you’re going? Our deal isn’t done yet remember? You’re going to let me choose at least three outfits for you.”

Kyungsoo sighs and aims a glare at Kris’s stupidly handsome face regretting the day he ever stepped into that dumb market just because he had a weird craving for cereal at three in the morning.

Kris gives him a full toothed smile gums and all and starts dragging the younger towards his favorite shops.

The first place they step foot into is nestled into a corner and has such a small entrance that Kris would’ve missed it entirely had he not known of its existence. He drags the shorter male in with him and immediately heads towards the clothing racks. He has trouble remembering that this shopping trip isn’t for him but for his utterly unfashionable companion. Nevertheless Kris is having more fun than he’d imagined, maybe this is what giving to charity is like.

The taller male picks out some nice tight jeans and a more fitting shirt for Kyungsoo and pushes him into the nearest dressing room. He waits patiently outside and eyes a studded jacket from across the store. He wonders if Kyungsoo would look good in studs.

The said boy steps out looking extremely uncomfortable and is shyly pulling at the end of his shirt. He looks completely gorgeous. That boy has some thighs on him and those jeans are doing wonders to make sure everyone knows that. The shirt fits his small frame nicely and compliments his body shape better than the rags he called clothes he had on before.

Kris is too busy oogling the younger male that he fails to notice when the other checks the price tag, mouth going slack.

“Are you kidding me? I can’t afford this!”

Kris raises an eyebrow and approaches Kyungsoo to give him a final look over. “You don’t have to afford it, it’s on me.” The taller male signals at the cashier that he’ll be taking the clothes as is. Another employee quickly runs up to them and begins to remove the security tags on the clothes, while still on Kyungsoo’s body.

“What?” Kyungsoo dodges one of the claws of the employee and looks at Kris like he just grew three heads. “This is way too expensive, I don’t even know you!” 

Kris just shakes his head. “1. My name is Kris 2. I own this place. There, now you know me, now let the guy take off the tags so we can go to the next place. There’s a lot of ground we need to cover.”

That sentence seemed to of shut up Kyungoo up as he silently lets the employee take off the final tag and wordlessly follows behind Kris. The taller male spares him a quick glance smiling at the embarrassed look on Kyungsoo’s face and wonders if maybe he’s enjoying this more than he should.

At the next place he picks up a nice snapback and a new pair of shoes for Kyungsoo, the boy complains of course but Kris isn’t hearing any of it as he passes the cashier his black credit card. As they’re checking out the older learns a bit about his shorter companion.

“I’m actually attending culinary school right now so all my money’s currently going to pay for the tuition.” Kyungsoo pauses after that and Kris raises an eyebrow to will him to continue.

Kyungsoo bites his lip softly. “What I’m trying to say is, thank you, I guess. For buying me stuff even though you really don’t have too. Seriously it’s probably better if you don’t this stuff is ridiculously expensive.”

Kris lets out a chuckle at the others earnestness; he’s never known someone to be so adamant about rejecting free things. He finds it refreshing.  “It’s alright, maybe you can make me dinner one day in return.” Kris responds casually, only getting the implications of what he said a second too late once Kyungsoo’s face goes red. Kris blushes as well and curses himself mentally, why is it he’s only smooth when he’s not trying to be.

“Ok” Kyungsoo responds just as casually but the shyness in his voice and actions are clear. Kris is just as surprised, he didn’t think the younger would accept the sudden date offer but part of Kris is giddy about it. He tries to hide it with a fake cough and takes the bag from the cashier trying to act as natural as possible. He leads Kyungsoo outside and ignores the way his stomach flips when Kyungsoo grabs at his elbow in an attempt to catch up with his legs’ long strides.

After hitting up a few more stores Kris and Kyungsoo are at their limits on how many bags they can carry and Kris suggests they should call it a day much to his disappointment and Kyungsoo’s relief. Kris hails them a cab and places the bags in the trunk. Kyungsoo steps into the cab and it only takes the fashinoista a split second to decide to slide in next to him. The shorter boy looks at him with surprise and Kris acts like it’s completely normal, if there’s anything he’s learned from being a in the fashion industry is that if you act like something is alright and perfectly normal than everyone will assume it is.

Kyungsoo turns out to be no exception as he just throws Kris a weird look before telling the cab driver an address. Kris tries to pretend like he’s not paying too much attention but he’s trying his hardest to seer in that address into his brain.

After a comfortably quiet cab ride they get off in front of an apartment complex near the university. Kris takes the bags from the trunk and carries them up for Kyungsoo despite the youngers protests. Kyungsoo pauses outside a door key half way in before he turns to Kris and looks at him in the eyes.

Kris looks back, eyes barely showing over the multiple bags in his hands.

“Are you busy this Saturday?” Kyungsoo asks nervously, one hand at his side while the other one grips the doorknob tightly, his gaze never leaving Kris.

Kris is busy, he’s only planning on staying two more days before flying to Hong Kong to prepare for the press conference.

“No” Kris lies through his teeth.

“Do you…want to stop by? For dinner I mean. After all I owe it to you for everything you got me.” Kyungsoo finally looks away as if suddenly finding the carpeted ground more interesting.

“Y-yeah, of course-I mean, sure why not.” Kris stammers knowing Lay is going to kill him later but for now there’s no way he can resist those doe eyes.

Kyungsoo smiles his pretty heart smile and looks relieved. He takes the bags from Kris and finally opens the door. “Alright, stop by at 6 and don’t be late.” The door closes behind him as he enters but not before shooting Kris another grin.

Kris is so ed.

It isn’t till later, until Kris is back at his hotel room that he realizes just how ed.

He doesn’t have Kyungsoo’s number so there’s no way he can call and ask to reschedule and he doesn’t have to courage to go to Kyungsoo’s apartment and ask face to face. He really doesn’t want to know what a disappointed Kyungsoo looks like.

But it’s not the date that worries Kris, far from it in fact he’s actually looking forward to it. It’s Lay he’s worried about. The other takes their duties seriously and there’s no way he’ll let Kris stay an extra few days and risk ruining the press conference. Kris grunts and throws himself onto the soft hotel bed.

He really does want to be upset about the situation but the image of Kyungsoo’s pretty heart smile floats into his mind that Kris can’t help but fall asleep onto his pillow with a smile of his own.


tumblr / twitter