Chapter 7 The sweet smell of victory – the infiniteness of time immortal

The Mist of Time

She was in the middle of planning her Asian Fan Meet tours.  There were so many small details to take care of and she wanted to give her fans the best of herself.  She received another call from her agency.  She was becoming exasperated at the number of calls she had received that day from the president’s office.

It wasn’t like she was blowing them off or anything.  It had something to do with a script.  But she told the secretary, then the assistant, then the head assistant she was busy with her fan meet program.  She tried to be nice about it but she couldn’t just ignore planning her program and run to the office everytime the assistant called.  She explained once again that she would be there that evening between 4 and 6 pm.  She really couldn’t make it any sooner.

Shin Hye’s agency called again and this time the president requested she stop by the office as soon as possible.  “I really need you to come in now Shin Hye.  It is of the upmost importance and perhaps vital to your career.  Can you come before 4 pm?  Please Shin Hye, it is important or I wouldn’t call and ask.”

Shin Hye sighed.  “President, I am sure it is important.  My fans are more important to me but I will come now because I really am getting nothing accomplished here.  I can be there in 35 minutes.”

Shin Hye was becoming curious.  Whatever the script it meant money for the agency or they would not have bugged her so relentlessly.  I wonder why me though?  Has someone requested me specifically for a role?  Or maybe the agency is trying to get a part they think will help my career.  Either way I will have to go or get little done here. 

She called her manager to find out if he knew why they wanted her to come to the office.  And why so urgently; something they had never done before.

“Jun Oppa, do you know what they want at the agency?  It has to be a script offer.  I know I told them I would let them know about the saeguk drama but Joong Ki Oppa called and told me he had turned the part down.  So I am not interested in it now.  Hmmmm, Jun Oppa, do you think they have a movie offer?”

Shin Hye and Manager Jun waited patiently for the president to get to the point.  She had been long-winded and that made Shin Hye nervous.  Usually management got right to the point but she was hemming and hawing around the subject.  When Shin Hye had endured as much as possible she blurted out, “What is wrong with the new offer you are insisting I take yet you are talking all around the plot and avoiding it already?  How would I know if I am interested if you can’t tell me what the drama is about or the plot?”

“I didn’t say anything was wrong with the drama it’s just that well, I’m not sure you will be interested.  It’s a high school drama and I know you said you won’t do school dramas again.  So what do you want us to do?  Say no to them or do you want to check the script first?  Shin Hye you have no idea who called requesting you and you alone of all the actresses out there.”

Shin Hye rubbed her forehead saying, “It will be weary, won’t it?  Aiisshh, I’ll read the script but I don’t feel good about doing a school drama.  I am too old for high school.  I don’t want to do it.  Case closed on my feelings but I’ll read it just so I can settle your mind.”

Manager Jun picked the script up for Shin Hye.  They were walking down the hall when Manager Jun spoke, “Shin Hye, you really should just read the script first because you won’t believe the bit of gossip I heard after you left the room.  Do you know who the writer for this drama is?  Guess…go ahead and try to guess.”

Shin Hye was tired and she didn’t care who wrote this new script.  “Jun Oppa, it doesn’t matter who wrote it because I am not a high school girl anymore and I don’t want people to associate me with school.  I want – really want to do more grown up roles – like action drama.  Who else do they have signed to this drama?”

Manager Jun, “I heard a rumor but according to Junsu in accounting, well you won’t believe this – Kim Eun Sook is the writer.  You know of Gentlemen’s Dignity and Secret Garden fame?  And catch this will you – they are talking to Yong Hwa.  She said rumor has it another big name has signed on as the main lead but it won’t be announced until sometime later this week.  So what do you think now?  Interested or not?  Shin Hye it is by Kim Eun Sook ….”

“Oh my, most actors are salivating at a chance to act in one of her dramas.  I would love to act in one of her dramas but high school?  Try putting your ear to the ground and find out who the main lead is – I wonder who she will cast?  But Yong Hwa – well that would work for me.  Let me read the script and you do some investigating and then we will decide, OK Jun Oppa?”

Over at Starhaus Entertainment, Min Ho and his manager are arguing the pros and cons of having accepted the lead role in a new Kim Eun Sook drama. Min Ho is skeptical but President Jang is ecstatically happy.  A Kim Eun Sook drama is as good as gold.  He tells Min Ho’s manager to talk Min Ho into just going along with the plot.  It won’t hurt his career. 

Min Ho reading the script in front of him doesn’t look up but says to the room, “Yah, people I can hear you.  Say it to me not my manager.  Why should I have accepted this role?  Give me a couple of good reasons.”

President Yang started listing reasons.  “Kim Eun Sook’s last 2 dramas were gold-plated ratings and money winners.  You will become more famous.  Do you need more reasons, Min Ho?”

“Oh for goodness sake, why do I care if it is a gold-plated ratings guaranteed drama?  Really, I need to start acting in more adult type roles – doing more action type movies and dramas not high school.  It will be too close to the Boys Over Flowers drama.  Everyone will compare them and I don’t want Boys Over Flowers to suffer because of a new project.”

President Jang was chuckling, “Min Ho, Min Ho, don’t think that way.  I am trying to say that this is a Kim Eun Sook drama and she is good so even if it is high school it will focus on angst, comedy, love and have a real meaning in the moral of the story.  Kim Eun Sook is good at what she does.  Ms. Kim assured me she has chosen the perfect actress to pair up with you for the drama.  She said the actress will have chemistry with you that will fly off the screen.”

Min Ho looked up and focused intently on President Jang’s face.  “Who did she say this remarkable actress is?  I can think of no one, except someone she will not choose, that has that sort of chemistry with me.  It will be a sad affair if they put another older actress in the role of student.  It is pathetic and doesn’t seem real.  So there is no such actress in Asia.  End of discussion.”

President Jang smiled a secret smile.  He was thinking Min Ho, my boy, you may be in for a monumental surprise if Kim Eun Sook can pull off the selection she told me she was pursuing.  I hope she can because the interest will double with the announcement.

Shin Hye had just finished her last practice for the day.  Her phone was ringing and she glanced at the number.  It was an unknown number with no name assigned.  She slid the bar to ‘do not accept.’  “I don’t accept calls from unknown numbers or unlisted names”, she said to the phone.

It rang again with same no name and no number.  She slid to ‘do not accept’.  “Humph”, she said.

This repeated another 3 times before Shin Hye turned off her phone.  It was a matter of principle now – she said she wouldn’t answer it and by golly she would not.  She made faces at the phone while deciding what to do next on her long ‘to do’ list.

Manager Jun came running into the work room.  He was out of breath and pointing to his phone.  “Here, answer this. Now. Answer it.”

“Well”, Shin Hye said, “this all makes no sense.  Calm down Jun Oppa.  I will take the phone but get a drink of water; you look like you just saw the Emperor of old.”

Shin Hye was clucking her tongue at Manager Jun’s antics.  What on earth could be so awe-inspiring that he acted like that? 

“Hello, this is Park Shin Hye, how may I help you?”

“Miss Park?  I am so sorry to bother you but you wouldn’t answer your phone.  I am Kim Eun Sook and I really want you to play the part of my high school character, Cha Eun Sang.  I wrote this script with the two main leads already in mind and I have to tell you that you, Park Shin Hye, have been my choice from the beginning.  Will you please read the script and let me know if you can sign on?  I really want you as my actress for the main lead.”

Shin Hye was speechless.  Kim Eun Sook – OMG! On the phone with me….OMG.  “Ms. Kim, I am much honored that you chose me but aren’t I a little too old for this part?”

“Ahhh, Miss Park, I have a feeling many people will question the ages of my actors for this drama because of the use of the high school.  But if I may explain a little about my feeling behind the writing and why I chose you as my ideal actress…..”  Kim Eun Sook trailed off as she waited to see if she had hooked Park Shin Hye’s interest.

“Please, Ms. Kim, I want to know because I see nothing I can bring to the part that would be special – mainly because I am past high school age.  And please call me Shin Hye – it will be more comfortable, if you don’t mind, that is.”

Eun Sook smiled because she heard interest in Shin Hye’s voice.  Eun Sook was thinking, now my biggest job is to sell this part to you because without you, another actress will not bring out Min Ho’s character as well.  I know you two can be explosive together given the opportunity and I will provide that setting.  She said, “Shin Hye, I want an actress that can portray real emotion.  I want an actress that can act like she is 18 without having to think about it.  I want an actress who will rival her co-star’s eye appeal.  You, my dear, have the most expressive eyes of any actress I have seen yet.  I care little for what other people try to advise or tell me to do, I am a woman who knows what she wants and I read people very well.  I know you are the only actress for this part bar none.  I don’t care what anyone says, prints or thinks I know you are the person I had in mind when I wrote this script.  I wrote this script with one actor in mind – I based my character on his strong real life – my character is the actor.  However, he will not shine the way I want without you as his main lead.  Please, Shin Hye, before you turn this down think about it.  Take it as a challenge – can Park Shin Hye the actress bring to the table what it will take to persuade her audience that she is 18 year-old Cha Eun Sang?”

“Oh my, you have piqued my interest.  If I put it in those terms, does Park Shin Hye the actress have the acting chops to ignore everyone and show that I can become the 18 year-old Cha Eun Sang, student extraordinaire?  I like this Ms. Kim very much.  But I have a question, who is the actor you say you will only accept me playing opposite?  Do I know him?  I am very curious.”

Eun Sook knew she had Shin Hye.  Now if she could get her with Min Ho she might be able to land her.  She would keep her fingers crossed that it worked out.  Eun Sook knew from the first time she saw an Etude House commercial featuring these two together there was a definite spark.  She knew that spark could be fanned into a flame and if that flame burnt, then she had a mega-hit.

“Shin Hye, if I can arrange a meeting with this actor, would you attend?” asked Kim Eun Sook.

“Yes I would, because my curiosity is running full blast.  I must know.  And Ms. Kim?  I will let you know the day I meet this actor,” said Shin Hye.

Kim Eun Sook worked diligently that week to set up a meeting for the managers, PDs and her two leads.  She needed a site to meet away from both agencies because too many paparazzi hung around those places.  She finally found a small, quiet, out-of-the-way book store that leased meeting spaces with separate secluded entrance and exits.  Perfect, she thought.  Ms. Kim spent another two days coordinating a meeting for 7 pm on Thursday night at ‘The Nookery’. 

It was the third week of March and Kim Eun Sook was anxiously awaiting the arrival of all her key personnel.  She needed to sell this idea to Park Shin Hye and get her to sign on the dotted line.  If she can get Shin Hye then the drama will fall into place.  She saw Min Ho and his manager knock at the door and she left her ‘hidden’ spot beside the path next to their meeting room.  She walked up to Min Ho and spoke.  “Ahhh, Lee Min Ho, I am happy to see you.  I am Kim Eun Sook.  And you must be his Manager?”  She asked Min Ho to enter and his manager to meet with her separately now.  His manager raised his shoulders and told Min Ho to stay in the meeting room till he came back.  “No need to caution me, Hyung.  I won’t leave here without you.”

Eun Sook had another room booked and she led Min Ho’s manager there.  “Please be seated. I will just go get the other person necessary for this meeting.  Please sit; there is tea on the table.  I will be right back”, Eun Sook said.

She returned to her position waiting for Shin Hye and Manager Jun.  Eun Sook’s assistant was with her and she motioned for her to be ready.  As Shin Hye and Manager Jun approached the door at ‘The Nookery’, Eun Sook stepped out and asked Manager Jun to go with her assistant to a meeting that was necessary for the production of this drama.  Manager Jun looked at Shin Hye for her approval and she nodded.  Manager Jun left with Eun Sook’s assistant. 

Eun Sook reached beside Shin Hye and opened the door.  “Please enter,” Eun Sook said.  Shin Hye walked into the room stopping to look around.  She saw bookcase on top of bookcase with more books than she could possibly read in a lifetime.  She smiled at the enormity of the amount of books.  Eun Sook glanced around the room and saw him standing back to the room at one of the windows facing a private garden.  Shin Hye had not seen him yet.

Shin Hye turned back to Eun Sook and said, “What a quaint little place.  I like it.”

Min Ho heard her voice and stiffened.  What on earth was she doing here?  And with writer Kim Eun Sook?  Perhaps Shin Hye is involved in another drama Writer Kim is doing?

Shin Hye sat looking around the room.  She took in Min Ho as she looked at the window and continued to look pass him.  Then she stopped and her glance went back to Min Ho.  She made a small gasp and stood.

“Min Ho Oppa?  What are you doing here?   Did we enter the wrong room?  Writer Kim, I think there is a mistake.”  Shin Hye was talking way too fast, a bit embarrassed.  She ran scenarios in her mind to figure why Min Ho was in the room.

“Writer Kim?  Could you possibly give us a moment?  I promise it will only be a moment”, asked Min Ho.

“Of course,” said Writer Kim with as much innocence as she could muster in her expression.  She walked out the door closing it and then pumping her fist in triumph.

“Shin Hye, how are you?  I am glad you are the pick for Writer Kim’s lead female role.  Do you mind that I am her lead actor?”

Shin Hye had remained standing and she continued to look down.  Min Ho approached her and she saw his shoes in front of her.  She looked up and her eyes locked with his.

“Do you mind too terribly that it is me?”  He asked as he took another step toward her.  She stepped back one step.

“Huh, no, I don’t suppose so, huh, but do you think we are the best fit for each other?”  Shin Hye shyly asked.  Min Ho grinned at her wording.

He stepped forward and she stepped back.  It was a slow dance they were doing and Kim Eun Sook had not stayed out.  She had slowly opened the door enough to witness whatever occurred. 

Shin Hye’s back was at the bookcase and Min Ho was directly in front of her.  “Shin Hye?  Are you going to stay tongue-tied for the remainder of the time?”  Min Ho asked her.

“Huh, what?”  Shin Hye asked.  She lifted her hands, dropped them. Min Ho leaned down so that his face was level with hers. 

“Shin Hye? Don’t you want to work with me? I understand your feelings, I really do.  I feel the same.  We have been working at winning in our profession.  Day after day, month after month, year after year – it’s all about the winning.  But Shin Hye I have found that no matter how much I win, I am still missing something.  I am missing something vital and necessary for my soul.  I think you are what my soul needs.  Perhaps I am what your soul needs?”

“Oh God.”  Shin Hye could not move her eyes.  “I don’t know what you are saying.  What are you saying?”

“Winning no matter the stakes, no matter how much of me it took, I was lost and you know what?  Shin Hye, I have always known it was you that could save me – from myself and from the world.  I don’t want anything else in this world right this moment but to spend the months we will work together with you.  Now, do you think you can act in a drama with me?”

She took his expression in and she tried to read what he might be thinking.  But all she saw was his sincerity.  She knew from somewhere deep in her old soul that he spoke the truth.  The two of them were twined together in a way that no one could ever separate.  They had found each other again.  Souls always find their mate. 

She looked into his eyes and smiled.  He leaned forward placing a light kiss on her forehead. She could see the line of his cheek and jaw and the way his silky black hair fell into place.  She felt many things when looking at him.  She felt a solace in his warmth.  She felt a connection that was as old as her soul – as old as his soul. 

Outside the door a very satisfied Writer Kim softly closed the door.  She took a step backward, turned and hurried to the other room to put in an appearance for the ‘meeting’ she used to give her stars time to decide if this is what they wanted to do.  She entered the room with a self satisfied smirk on her face.  Her assistant looked at her face and smiled.  She addressed Writer Kim, “We went over everything and everyone is on board with the script and the off-site filming.  Now all we need is to talk to our lead stars and we are set.”

Writer Kim looked at the people sitting around a large table.  She asked, “Any questions?  Everyone got the time table assignments?  Locations?  Vendor listing?  Good, then let’s go talk to our stars and clue them in.”  She stood and led them out of the room.  Her assistant made sure they made enough noise to alert Min Ho and Shin Hye.

The group entered the room to find Min Ho sitting at a table facing the door.  Shin Hye was sitting in front of him and they were chatting about past dramas.  Shin Hye was laughing at something Min Ho said.  Writer Kim stopped just to the side of the door and nodded.  Yes, she thought, exactly as I figured. 

Kim Eun Sook stood at the front of the tables and gave a short spiel saying, “This is what we know so far about the time tables and it is definite we will be filming off-site, probably Australia.  We’ll know in a week.  The next phase is to announce who will be the lead actors in the drama.  Min Ho, we will release your name next week.  I think we should release Shin Hye’s, umm, say sometime after the first of April.  Then as I talk other stars or idols into accepting, we will release their names.  I have people in mind and I want to make sure they are actors who will interact off each other.  I want a good drama full of real feelings.  So this is where we stand now.  Any questions?”

Shin Hye spoke up.  “Writer Kim, I heard you will ask my friend, Yong Hwa, to be one of the main male characters, is this true by chance?”

Kim Eun Sook looked at Min Ho’s face when she answered for it would answer much for her.  “As a matter of fact, Shin Hye, he has agreed to play the part of antagonist against Min Ho’s character.  I talked to his agency today confirming the role.  He was happy to act in another drama with you.’

Writer Kim noticed how Min Ho’s lips tightened and his fist clenched.  Yep, she thought, I chose correctly.  He’s rather jealous of Yong Hwa and Shin Hye’s closeness.  This will play out on screen well.

Min Ho watched Shin Hye’s face and saw her small smile at Writer Kim’s answer.  He thought, so you rather like him, huh?  We’ll see how that goes then.  I don’t think so, Shin Hye, I just don’t think so.

As the group stood to head home or back to work, Shin Hye hesitated next to Min Ho.  She laid her hand on his arm looking up at the curve of his jaw, the line of his nose and his lips – God she could look at his lips all day.  Shaking her head slightly she said, “I will see you soon then?”

“Ahhh, little one, you will see a lot of me soon.  I think fate just threw the ball back into my court and I made sure I caught it.  Good night little one.  Sweet dreams.”