Chapter 6 Ah tricky destiny – fate always has the last laugh

The Mist of Time

She watched every episode.  Every last one and she didn’t care if her heart hurt so badly when he kissed his co-star.  She felt like someone had stabbed her and stabbed her hard.  This is so wrong – she could just tell it was wrong but what could she do?  Nothing because she was powerless to do anything, so she would watch and wait.  She kept wondering why she always used the word wait when thinking of Oppa.

He was irritated with himself because he allowed himself to become entangled in a dating mess.  Yes he had started a kind-of relationship with his co-star but he had never been so confused in all his life.  He knew her from previous work but not as well as he thought because he always judged other women against Shin Hye.  Shin Hye was just a different type of girl.  When he started thinking about dating someone else he felt something holding him back.  She was quite forward because she wasn’t shy and bashful like Shin Hye. He wasn’t use to a girl that went after him and he didn’t think he liked it.  Not that Shin Hye was that bashful but Shin Hye was a strong woman who could stand on her own.  She never chased guys nor allowed them to help her make it in the entertainment world.  Shin Hye was definitely her own woman.  His co-star was a nice girl though but he didn’t think they were really meant for each other because it just didn’t feel right.  So he let it fall apart before it became something.  He breathed a sigh of relief when things went back to normal.  He wondered often if Shin Hye had been hurt by the news of his dating or almost dating.  He hoped not.

Shin Hye continued to see Dr. Yong.   She had been going to see Dr. Yong since the last part of the year 2010 and it was now the start of the year 2012.  Dr. Yong had notebooks full of notes about Shin Hye’s dreams.  Shin Hye shyly asked if Min Ho was continuing his therapy sessions and Dr. Yong gave her such a pitying look that Shin Hye wanted to drop through a hole in the ground and stay there. 

“Yes, he is continuing his sessions.  I am sorry you two fell out and are no longer friends.  Sometimes that happens.  But Shin Hye, ahh, how do I word this?  You have seen the reports that Min Ho is dating the co-star from his last drama, right?  Well, Shin Hye do you remember the last session you and Min Ho attended together?   The one when he had a precognitive memory?  A memory of something that would happen in the future and he said it was wrong – he made a mistake and needed to fix it?  I think his dating scandal with his ex-co-star was his precognitive memory association.   He said during his regression speech that he made a mistake and broke the red thread of fate and needed to fix it.  So I really think that is what is going on.  So don’t worry about anything, I am sure he will wake up from his mistake soon and correct it.”

Shin Hye was mortified.  OMG! Does she feel sorry for me because of Min Ho’s dating scandal?  Why would anyone think that way?  She listened to Dr. Yong talk about the dreams Min Ho had remembered. 

“Dr. Yong, does Min Ho care that you tell me his dreams?  And do you tell him mine?”

“Oddly enough Shin Hye, he told me I could tell you if it would help you in any way.  I think he rather likes you underneath all that maleness.  He isn’t seeing her anymore you know?  It was for only a couple of dates and then it was over before they really got to know each other.  Shin Hye, listen to me, he said he knew what the mistake he made was and he fixed it as soon as he realized.  Don’t you see the significance of this statement?”

“No, Dr. Yong, I don’t.  What does it mean – I mean in the long run what does it mean?  He actually asked me how I felt about him and I was too afraid to express my thoughts and my feelings so I let him walk away.  Perhaps I don’t really believe in reincarnation or maybe I think the red thread of fate is wrong.  There are a lot of things that I don’t understand and I don’t want to.”

Dr. Yong moved to the couch Shin Hye was sitting on.  “My dear, not everyone approaches love in the same way.  So what if you were afraid?  Lots of people are afraid of a lot of things.  It doesn’t make you weak and it doesn’t put a stop to what destiny has in store for you and Min Ho.  It just means you weren’t ready at that time.  If you had pursued it then it would not have worked out.  Let destiny decide for you when is the right time.  You are young and so is Min Ho and you two have some growing up to do yet.  So just forget about reincarnation, red threads and fear.  Go out there and live your life and when the time is right for you and Min Ho to be together – well – fate will put you together.  Don’t you think that is a much better way to handle it?”

Shin Hye looked at Dr. Yong, “You are good, Dr. Yong, you are very good.  I am going to do exactly what you said.  I will work hard and play hard.  I will stop worrying about Oppa and let fate, destiny or that blasted red thread work when it is supposed to.  I will be free of it till the time is right.  I will no longer worry about it.  Dr. Yong, the saying “it will happen when it happens” seems to sum up my feelings now.  Thank you.”

Dr. Yong patted her hand.  “You are welcome. Now Shin Hye I don’t think there is much more I can get from you.  You have given me such detail of your past lives.  And have been so willing to help me.  I will not forget this and I owe you one.  So from now on you are free and don’t have to come back.  I will be returning to Edinburg to resume my professorship there because my time on loan to the hospital and University here has ended.  Thank you Miss Park Shin Hye for the wonderful time I have had with you.  It has been a wonderful experience and I hope to remain friends with you.”

Shin Hye stood and Dr. Yong did also.  Shin Hye stuck her hand out to shake Dr. Yong’s hand but ended up in a big hug.  Shin Hye said, “We will always be friends.  Only a friend could have freed me from those nightmares and returned blissful peaceful sleep to me.  I will forever be indebted to you.  And don’t worry about me because I will be fine from now on.  I will no longer fear the unknown.  I will wait for the fates or destiny to put me where I should be when the time is right.”

Min Ho came to the office late that night for he was filming “Faith”.  Dr. Yong said, “Min Ho your character Choi Young in Faith is very much like your past life of the Dragon.  Do you not see the similarities?”

Min Ho responded, “I do see the similarities.  There are similarities because I decided to play Choi Young as The Dragon.  I am using what I know of him to breathe life into the Choi Young character.  I think maybe I am hoping Shin Hye will see it and reminiscent about us.”

“Well, now, this is interesting.  Shin Hye was here earlier today.  She has finally put everything into perspective and it bodes well for her.  Earlier today she told me she no longer fears the unknown.  She very clearly told me she would wait for the hand of fate, destiny or the red thread to put her where she should be when the time was right.  I do believe she was talking about you Min Ho.”

He wasn’t exactly convinced she had been referring to him because he saw her music videos on TV.  The girl was popular and she was surrounded by many – correction way too many – men.  He just hoped she would wait till it was the right time for them to allow fate to put them together.  He prayed she would not forget him and start anew with someone else because their timeline – their lifeline was not supposed to be that way – their timeline, their lifeline was together.  He couldn’t help but analyze each man she was shown with – he watched their expressions when they looked at her.  He thought perhaps he would never stop being jealous where she was concerned.

Dr. Yong wished him well and told him their sessions were over.  He thanked her for freeing him so that he could live a normal life.  She also told him she believed very much in the red thread of fate because it was never wrong and he and Shin Hye should end up together.  She also told him to not miss the chance when it came. 

He seldom saw Shin Hye except on TV so it was a pleasant surprise the day he ran into her at the SBS studios.  She was rushing along as she usually did and ran smack into him.  Knocked her on her and he had to laugh.  He couldn’t help it because he was for the most part deliriously happy to see her.  She smiled when she looked up seeing a smiling Min Ho.  He was dressed as General Choi.

When Shin Hye looked up and saw him in his costume she almost passed out.  He was The Dragon.  She tried to speak but nothing came out.  She could not tear her eyes away from him.  Finally she croaked out a tiny, “Oppa.”

He said, “Well at least you are still calling me Oppa.  Are you doing well? How have you been Shin Hye ah?”

She felt like crying but she wouldn’t because despite all the shows she had been in and all the crying she did while acting, she wasn’t a weak crying type woman.  She could cry when a drama required it but she stopped crying back in elementary school – she was not that scared crying girl any longer.  In fact, few things scared her or made her afraid.  She realized the only thing in the past few years that frightened her was when Oppa asked her how she felt about him.  If anyone thought she was always afraid they were wrong.  Her fear with Oppa was that something would go wrong because each past life with him had been sad.  But now she realized it didn’t matter what the past had held for them for they would always seek out a new better path for themselves – a path together.  She was closer to being the woman she needed to be when Oppa asked her the same question again.  She wasn’t quite ready yet but very close. 

“Oppa, I am doing well and staying busy.  Wow! You look so handsome and good in your costume.  You are definitely The Dragon in this costume.  So how are you Oppa?  What other plans do you have?”

“Shin Hye, would you like to have something to drink in the cafeteria?  You know no cameras are allowed in SBS’s cafeteria so we will be safe.  I promise.  I would like to talk to you about your plans and what I am planning.  So what do you say?” 

“Oppa, I do have a little bit of time so let’s go.  Let me tell you about my next project.  I have this drama I am interested in……”

And they talked.  They talked much longer than they expected and Min Ho left only because his manager tracked him down.  He was a bit startled to see him sitting out in the open with Park Shin Hye of all women.  He hoped no one slipped a picture of them because the two could not afford a scandal right now. 

They promised to keep in touch.  As Min Ho was standing to leave he reached down and took her hand in his leaving it on the table.  “Thank you for coming with me.  We will see each other again because I don’t think destiny is through with us yet.”

Shin Hye smiling up at him said softly, “No she isn’t through with us yet and you know I am looking forward to fate’s surprise.”