[8/9]

Given the chance

Chaerin isn’t expecting to feel nervous when there is a knock on the door.  But her stomach flips and she smooths down the ruffles on her black and gold dress again and forces her sister to answer the door.  Even less than her nerves is she expecting to gasp audibly at how handsome Jiyong is once he finally makes it down the hallway and into the living room. 

“You okay Chae?” He asks, leaning toward her with a small smirk, one that before all of this started Chaerin is certain she would have loved to punch off of his face, but now she finds it endearing.

“Fine, You look… well, you clean up well.” She says and clears looking away only a little embarrassed that she cannot seem to just compliment the boy beside her.  

“Thanks!” Jiyong chirps, and runs his fingers through his slicked back but still brightly coloured hair. “I like the dress, it looks better on than in pictures.” He compliments Chaerin and sniffs back a laugh as she turns to look at him and then down at her dress.

“You had doubts?” She asks and pokes at the short and form fitting dress that ruffles out at her hips before slimming down her legs.

“Nah, I know you got style.” Jiyong shrugs at his own small attempt at consoling the other before jumping with a remembered thought. “Oh!” He exclaims and wipes his hand off on his pants before he turns and grabs the flowers that he had set down at the sight of Chaerin. “I forgot, you get this don’t you?” He asks and opens the box to reveal a white rose with a black and gold ribbon. “I couldn’t think of anything else that would match the dress so I hope this is good right?” Jiyong gives Chaerin a hopeful and all too endearing smile and instantly she raises her hand for him to attach the flower to it. 

“Yeah, this is… this is really nice.” Chaerin nods and looks at the flower now tied around her wrist.

Pictures are a blur after the corsages are exchanged, Chaerin’s parents both insisting on too many snapshots that will most likely be forgotten about or come out too blurry to appreciate.  However Jiyong laughs and smiles through the whole thing, winning over the opinions of both Chaerin’s mother and father.  With an agreeance to remain well behaved Chaerin grabs her over night bag for the after party and the pair climb into Jiyong’s car borrowed from his father.

Chaerin is thankful that at dinner she is placed between Jiyong and Dara, it makes kicking Dara under the table for every bemused look she gives her that much easier.  Once dinner is over and the music starts everyone seems to break off toward the dance floor and Jiyong looks at Chaerin with a small smile. “Ready to school me on the dance floor?” He asks with a short laugh and it causes Chaerin to snort and take his hand.

“One of many places I’m sure I could school you.” She nods and Jiyong groans playfully and leads her to the rest of their group of friends.  The music isn’t the best, but it’s easy to dance to and there is plenty of laughter all around as the dance moves range from serious to outrageously stupid, mostly on part of Dara, who knows exactly how to get Chaerin to lose her cool and double over laughing. Jiyong stops dancing when this happens and stands watching Chaerin completely enamored.

When the music shifts to a slower tempo, Jiyong instantly steps in front of Chaerin, his grin wide and infectious. “May I?” He asks, and Chaerin steps toward him, her hands draping over his shoulders.

“You’re my date aren’t you?” She asks, pulling back and giving him an inquisitive look as he places his hands on her hips and pulls her just slightly closer.  Chaerin doesn’t pay much attention to the song, instead she focuses on the soft smile that is on Jiyong’s features. She laughs when Jiyong’s hands wander further south than her hips and pulls back just slightly to scoff at him. “You gonna keep this school appropriate?” She teases.

“Have I ever?” Jiyong retorts though he moves his hands back up to the small of her back, and Chaerin with a smug expression steps closer to him, placing her cheek on his shoulder.

-----

Even though it’s late spring the air is cool at night and Chaerin is thankful for the sweatpants and sweater that she tossed in a bag and then unceremoniously in the backseat of Jiyong’s car for the after prom party. Trying her best to not mess up her hair Chaerin pulls the hood over her head in Youngbae’s bathroom and shoves her hands in her pockets before walking back out onto the back deck.  Jiyong opens the door for her with a small smile and places his hand on the small of her back and Chaerin is certain that she’s nuts for the thoughts running through her head at this moment.

“You know I think you look even prettier like this.” Jiyong grins and leans back to give the other an appreciative look.

“Oh off, do you know how much that dress cost me?” Chaerin teases and pushes Jiyong playfully on the shoulder before walking off to join the rest of the party by the fire pit, leaving Jiyong pouting as he follows behind. Chaerin doesn’t expect the small feeling of disappointment when Jiyong doesn’t sit directly next to her, and it bothers her more than she would like to admit. With a small grunt she gets up moving shoulder to shoulder with him. “I’m cold.”

“Mm, it is chilly.” Jiyong agrees and pushes his shoulder in to hers,  letting his hand rest on the small of her back before moving to her shoulder, and Chaerin appreciatively leans into him. As she sits and watches their friends laugh and joke around the campfire Chaerin can feel the butterflies in her stomach intensify, and when Jiyong laughs at a particularly stupid joke she feels as if they might burst forth.

“Maybe we should talk.” Chaerin whispers as she puts her head on the others shoulder so only he can hear.

“Sure baby...” Jiyong says and is shocked at how quickly Chaerin is standing and pulling at his sleeve to the sounds of misinterpreting cat calls from their friends.  Chaerin wraps her arms around herself the farther away from the fire they walk. Stopping finally at the end of the yard and turning to Jiyong with what could only be interpreted as an apologetic smile.  Jiyong stops not far from her, waiting with his hands in his pockets.

Trying to collect herself Chaerin bites her lip, before she feels like words are about to burst forth from the pit of her stomach. “I’m sorry okay?” She starts, and Jiyong is almost shocked to the point of taking a step backwards.

“What? Why?” He asks, and the look of confusion on his face is way too endearing for Chaerin to handle.

 “I’m sorry for the way that I’ve always treated you. But to be fair you were always an annoying little you know that right?” Chaerin looks up to watch Jiyong scoff and fold his arms over his chest, though an amused smirk is now resting on his lips. “I don’t know what it is, I don’t know what it is about you but you just… I just…” Chaerin stops as Jiyong takes a step towards her, eyebrow raised.

“You just what? Chaerin, so yeah I’m obnoxious, you’re not the first person to tell me that, that’s just who I am. I goof around, I’m loud, but you know what girl? That ain’t all there is. I like you Chaerin, dammit man I’ve liked you for… god freshman year? Until now?”

“Wait, what?” Chaerin interrupts flabbergasted.

“I’ve liked you since freshman year, you just never gave me a chance.” Jiyong shrugs. “And then you did. It’s all I ever asked for. Just a chance and now, well what do you say?”

“What do I say to what?” Chaerin asks as her brows furrow together in confusion.

“Was it worth it?” Jiyong reaches forward and takes Chaerin’s hand, and the softness of the touch makes Chaerin shiver even under the thick fabric of her hoodie and sweatpants, and all she can do is slip her fingers between his and take a step forward as she nods. It is then that Jiyong takes the chance to close the distance between them. His free hand coming up and resting lightly on Chaerin’s cheek as he presses their lips together, both eyes fluttering closed and this time Chaerin doesn’t feel ashamed or embarrassed by the suddenness of it. Instead her fingers tighten in the spaces between Jiyong’s as her other hand comes to rest on his hip, and though it’s not their first kiss it feels magical and somehow right.  

Breaking apart Chaerin sighs softly and simply looks at Jiyong for a moment, uncertain of what to say. Eventually deciding that nothing needs to be said, and smiling a little she leans forward and presses her lips quickly to Jiyong’s one more time, before walking back to the campfire. Once they arrive Youngbae gives a thumbs up to Jiyong, causing him to laugh and playfully kick at him before sitting down and pulling Chaerin into his lap. Chaerin settles, finally giving in to every ounce of resistance that she had ever felt, and rests her head back on Jiyong’s shoulder enjoying the warmth of the fire as well as his arms around her waist. 



~~~~~~~~~~~

So, this is the last official chapter, chapter 9 will be an epilogue, so please look forward to that. I appologize for such a delay in this story, it's been a rough year, and the mood for writing has been hard to find, but I really honesly appreciate every single subscriber, and every single view, every single upvote, every single comment. Really honestly truely thank you all. I really hope you enjoyed it. As I said please look forward to the epilogue, I should have it up soonish.