[2/9]

Given the chance

Chaerin is not sure how she got to this point, waiting outside on the front step of her apartment building waiting to be picked up by Jiyong and Youngbae. She picks at her nails and sighs, pulling her bag into her lap, her phone has been buzzing all morning with texts from Dara. The fabric vibrates against her legs and she decides to ignore it again and leans back on her palms. If the two idiots don’t show up she can at least enjoy the sunshine.

Chaerin’s sun appreciation is short lived when she hears the rattle of Youngbae’s car and then the honk of his horn. As if that weren’t annoying enough before she can open her eyes Jiyong’s voice hits her ears. 
“Aye girl, you ready?” He shouts and Chaerin wrinkles her nose as she sits up.

“You’re late.” Chaerin says as she gets up, walking to the car. Her eyebrows raise as Jiyong gets out and opens the door for her.  “But at least today you’re being a gentleman.” She remarks.

“Baby I’m always a gentleman, you just don’t notice.” He shrugs before getting back in the car.

“Didn’t I tell you not to call me baby?” Chaerin sighs and crosses her arms and legs in the backseat settling in for the ride.  

“Sorry Chae.” Jiyong smirks and settles back in his seat for the short drive.

When Youngbae stops, telling everyone that they’ve arrived, it is not what Chaerin is expecting. “Where are we? I thought you said we were going to a fashion show.” She says and looks out the window, refusing to get out, certain that this is some sort of prank. Why else would they be in front of a church in the middle of downtown on a Saturday.

“We are, come on.” Youngbae smiles back at Chaerin and slides out of the car, shutting the door behind him and walking around to wait for Jiyong and Chaerin. Chaerin does not move, instead she stares at the back of Jiyong’s head awaiting an explanation.

“Come on Chaerin, time to get out.” Jiyong turns and tries to coax the scowling girl in the backseat.

“Is this some kind of a joke?” Chaerin asks, scooting forward and practically hissing at the boy in the front seat.

“No, it’s a fashion show. Listen we didn’t say it was something big and fancy, you assumed that on your own. Now come on, just loosen up a bit and give it a shot. If you don’t have fun I won’t bother you ever again in my entire existence, but for now just get out of the car and trust us for an hour or two okay?”

Stepping out of the car and crossing her arms Chaerin glowers at Jiyong and. “In your entire existence? You swear.” She says, as she pushes her finger into the center of Jiyong’s chest.

“In my entire existence. Even if I die, I swear I won’t come back to haunt you even, just come on.” Jiyong lets a small smile creep across his face as he takes Chaerin’s finger from his chest and holds on to it for a moment longer before it’s ripped away by the short and angry blonde.  Chaerin’s steps are quick to catch up with Youngbae, following him in and to their seats without a word.

Once they’re seated Chaerin pulls out her phone, sending an annoyed text to Minji. “It’s not even a real fashion show. I can’t believe I allowed myself to get dragged along to this.” It reads before the device is unceremoniously dropped into her bag and Chaerin completely crosses herself off from any sort of interaction. She scowls as the two boys who have pulled her along, chat amongst each other. The scowl is only dropped once the lights dim and a man walks out onto the make shift runway. His speech is short but sweet before the music starts and he moves to the podium.

The fashion show is unlike anything that Chaerin has ever seen, there is cheering from the audience, and though the models as well as the designs are amateur, they are fierce and well received.  It’s not long before the blonde is cheering along with the rest of those in attendance and Jiyong finds himself watching the girl beside him more than the people on the stage.

“What?” Chaerin’s smile falters slightly when she catches the other watching her. She leans back just slightly, almost afraid to admit that she’s actually enjoying herself if not for any other reason than it gives Jiyong more fuel to annoy her at a later date.

“I told you if you’d just trust me you’d have fun.” Jiyong chides before shrugging and returning to the show with a grin.

“Whatever.” Chaerin responds and sits back in her seat. She waits until Jiyong isn’t paying attention before she chances a glance at him, small smile forming on her lips as she notices that this stupid boy can actually be cute when he’s really enjoying something and quiet for once.

When the show is over Chaerin finds herself in the entryway looking over the sketches of designs as she waits for Youngbae and Jiyong to return from talking to one of their friends who had walked in the show. Immersed in the sketches she doesn’t hear Jiyong walk up behind her. His body is close to hers as he leans by her shoulder. “You know you could do something like this too. I’ve seen your drawings.” He says, and his accompanying smile is genuine.

“And once again you prove you’re a creep.” Chaerin jumps back, startled by Jiyong’s voice. But she can’t stop the blush that spreads across her cheeks before she turns back to the sketches hanging in front of her. 

“Come on girl, it’s not that creepy if they’re hanging in the art room.” Jiyong shrugs and then shoulders her.  “Anyway, I mean it, I mean I don’t know if you can sew or not, but you can design and that’s a good step right?” Jiyong is watching her out of the corner of his eye and Chaerin can feel her skin burning with the blush she wants desperately to conceal.

“Thank you.” She says and raises her hand to play with her hair, hopefully enough to deter the others flirtatious stare. She’s thankful when Youngbae returns and ushers them to the car.

“So you had fun right?” His voice is excited and the small man is practically bouncing back to his car, keys swinging around his finger.  His actions make it impossible for Chaerin to not laugh a little.

“Yes, I had fun, as much as I hate to admit it, I had fun. Thank you for bringing me. Did your friend have fun?” Chaerin tilts her head, watching Youngbae’s grin grow wider at the mention of his friend.

“My man here’s got a date.” Jiyong laughs and opens the door for Chaerin, though he did it earlier the action catches Chaerin off guard and she stands blinking before climbing in to the backseat and scooting forward. Once they’re all inside she rests her arms on the back of the seat and leans her chin against them. 

“So you got a date because you came to her show? Congratulations.” Chaerin smiles a little and pats Youngbae on the arm.

“Well I had to put in a little more effort than that, though I gotta say she’s not as tough a girl to talk to as you.” Youngbae smirks into the rearview mirror and laughs as Jiyong’s fist collides with his upper arm. “ man! I’m driving! Don’t be a distraction, I’ll crash and kill only you!” The older of the two teases and Chaerin finds herself snickering in the backseat. 

Chaerin is surprised to be laughing more on the way home, and she’s even more surprised when Youngbae insists on walking her to her door once they arrive back at the apartment. “So you had fun today right?” He starts and the air surrounding them feels a little awkward.

“I did…” Chaerin responds slowly, eyes rolling over the boy in front of her and watching as he turns his face back to the car and then back to her.  She decides to give Youngbae a chance to get out whatever it is he’s clearly trying to formulate in his head before she moves to the next wave of her feelings over the day.

“Good, I mean I’m glad you did. Listen, my boy… Well okay, Jiyong’s a good guy alright? Believe me I know he can get annoying.” Youngbae snorts and shakes his head before he continues, the look on Chaerin’s face only confirming his affirmation of Jiyong’s personality. “But he means well, and I guess, just give him a chance, he wanted you to come today.” Youngbae’s hands instantly rise in defense. “I wanted you to come too ya know, I remembered you saying that you liked fashion when we worked together last year. Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that Jiyong’s a good guy and you should try to not give him such a hard time. He just… he deserves a chance, and I think you’re a nice girl, maybe you can give that to him.”

The hopeful smile on Youngbae’s face is enough to make Chaerin deflate slightly as she looks back at the car and Jiyong patiently sitting in the front seat playing on his phone. Maybe she had been being too harsh on the other boy. With a small sigh but a wider smile she nods and looks once again from the car to the boy standing in front of her. “I’ll think about it.” She says and pulls her key from her purse. “Thanks again, I’ll see you Monday right?” Youngbae’s nod barely registers when Chaerin is turning and unlocking  the door to her home. Suddenly she feels like she has a lot more to think about. 




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just want to say thank you for being patient! Over the last month I have moved, and gone on vacation and had really horrible internet, along with holidays and work things. OTL *massive sighing* But hopefully chapter will be coming out closer together now as things in my life calm down a little bit. Anyway, thank you!