[5/9]

Given the chance

It’s almost a week later when Chaerin realizes that she may actually like Jiyong a lot more than she had ever wanted.

“Go talk to him.” Bom’s words are slightly slurred and warm on Chaerin’s ear from a few drinks from a red cup and Chaerin pouts even more and crosses her arms. “It’ll be better than you being a sour puss and watching him flirt.” Bom is now in front of Chaerin, leaning to block her gaze from the girls who are flirting and being flirted with by Jiyong.

Chaerin groans and takes the cup from Bom’s hand and knocks back what’s left of the now warm beer in one hardy gulp.  “Fine.” She says and quickly moves around her friend, ignoring the small rumbling in her stomach as she walks across the party to the boy who she would rather not be smitten with. “Dance with me.” She says, leaning close to his ear, and causing him to turn from the others he’s talking with.

“Hey baby!” Jiyong’s smile is wide and his hand somehow finds its way around Chaerin’s waist instantly. Jiyong is beyond excited but masks it well when Chaerin doesn’t flinch away, but instead sends a warning look to the other girls near by.

“Haven’t I told you not to call me baby?” Chaerin teases, there’s no bite to her words about this anymore. She likes the way the word rolls off his tongue when it’s directed toward her. Jiyong snorts and leads Chaerin further into the party.

“It’s not really a dancing party Chae, are you drunk?” He asks, and smiles as she wraps her arms around his neck, his own hands falling to her hips and pulling her close.

“I’ve had a few drinks but I don’t think I’m drunk.” Chaerin replies and slides her fingers up the back of Jiyong’s neck, fingers splaying through his now brightly coloured locks. “I like this, I did a good job.” She giggles, and Jiyong’s face falls forward as he snorts in reply.

“Yeah lots of people are talking about it, those girls liked it too.” He smirks, and lifts his head to wink playfully at Chaerin.  He snorts again as Chaerin’s hand quickly moves from the back of his neck to his cheek in a light slap. “Oh? Didn’t like that?” He teases and takes her wrist gently before his fingers walk up her palm to lace between hers. “I’m kidding I’m kidding.” He coaxes.

“I know you are, but still….” Chaerin turns and eyes the other girls, her mind not really registering Jiyong’s hand holding hers, but that doesn’t stop her stomach from fluttering subconsciously. 

“You jealous, baby?” Jiyong laughs and gently makes Chaerin look at him again. “Come on let’s go outside.”  He revels a moment in her embarrassed smile before he leads her through the crowd of people, picking up two bottles of beer from a table as they pass and handing one to her.

“I’m not jealous,” Chaerin counters and takes the beer as it’s handed to her. “I was just looking.” She shakes her head at the chuckle that comes from Jiyong, and takes the opportunity to harshly squeeze his hand, twisting his fingers just slightly until he jerks his hand a little with a laugh.  The air outside is warm as they find a quiet place to sit, quietly at first, looking out over the party. Jiyong’s fingers are still laced between Chaerin’s, and her thumb idly over the back of his hand.

Chaerin’s silent affection isn’t lost on Jiyong and with a sly smile he tilts his head at her. “Chae are you flirting with me?”  He asks, his voice is sweet and smooth and it’s hard not to laugh when Chaerin scoffs in reply.

“No!” Her words aren’t as strong as she would like them to be and she quickly takes a long gulp of beer to bolster her confidence.

“Just a little bit?” Jiyong asks, holding up his fingers to signify just the tiniest bit of flirting imaginable.

It’s with this that Chaerin shoves her shoulder against Jiyong’s and shakes her head. “Maybe I’m more drunk that I thought I was.” She teases him, tipping her beer bottle his way before taking another drink.  They sit in silence for a little longer before they start talking about the party, hands still tightly clasped together.  Chaerin accepts almost every drink her friends bring her, growing more and more intoxicated as the night goes on. Jiyong takes note of this, and after the second drink that Chaerin accepts he denies the next one. “Chae do you have a ride home?” He eventually asks, noting the party dwindiling down, concern for the girl he’s always been so fond of growing in the pit of his stomach.

“No, I was going to walk.” Chaerin’s words are slightly slurred and she looks around, finally noticing that there are far fewer people at the party than before. “I guess I should start huh?” She adds and stumbles as she stands, giggles erupting from her as she almost falls.

“I’m gonna help you.” Jiyong says, standing and quickly assisting Chaerin in standing up straight. “I’ve got my dad’s car okay, I’ll take you home.”

“No, it’s fine, I’m fine.” Chaerin tries to protest, but Jiyong cuts her off quickly with a shake of his head and an arm around her waist, and Chaerin turns to look him in the eyes, suddenly thankful that the world has stopped moving without her permission, and she leans in to press a drunken kiss on Jiyong’s lips.  A heart beat passes before Jiyong pulls back and squeezes her side with a shy smile.

“Come on kitten let’s get you home.”  He says, slowly helping a now giggling and stumbling Chaerin to his car, saying goodbye to the people as they pass.  Jiyong is thankful that he decided to stop drinking by the time they get to the car, chuckling to himself as Chaerin’s amusement over being called “kitten” turns into soft little meows as she looks out the window.  The drive to Chaerin’s place is mostly quiet, save for a few small giggles here and there, and eventually Jiyong realizes that Chaerin has fallen asleep in his passenger seat.  Pulling up to the house Jiyong gently shakes Chaerin’s shoulder trying to wake her from her slumber only to have her brush his hand away and whine, not ready to be awake yet.  “Chaerin, come on girl you gotta at least tell me where your key is.” He whispers to her, and Chaerin whimpers again and tosses her purse toward him.

Jiyong has never been so thankful for a carabiner in his life, as he unhooks the keys from the strap of Chaerin’s bag. He leaves her in the car to doze as he walks to the door and unlocks it at quietly as he can, afraid to wake her parents.  Once the door is unlocked he returns to the car, opening the door and lifting the young girl out of it. And though she’s tired Chaerin does her best to help Jiyong help her into the house.  Slightly more conscious Chaerin’s voice is small as she starts apologizing for the state that she’s in. “I’m so sorry.” She whispers against Jiyong’s shoulder. “I didn’t mean for this to happen.”

“It’s okay baby.” Jiyong coo’s softly in return, and opens the door for her, leading her in and shutting it softly behind them before he looks at the stairs and then back at Chaerin. “I’m gonna carry you okay girl?” He asks, making her look him in the eyes. “Just don’t throw up on me okay.” He teases softly before looping her arms around his neck and with a soft grunt lifting her into his arms.  He shushes her as gently as he can, trying to stop her giggles from getting too loud as he carries her up the stairs to her bedroom and eventually places her on the bed.

“Are you gonna leave me Jiyong?” Chaerin asks as she instantly latches on to her pillow, pouting against it and staring down the boy in her room as he backs away from her bed.

“I think I should Chae.” He whispers, stepping just a little closer and crouching next to the mattress. The smile on his face is soft as he reaches forward, fingers pushing the hair away from Chaerin’s face, so they can see each other better.

“I don’t want you to.” Chaerin protests, reaching out and taking Jiyong’s wrist, tugging on it just enough to pull him forward again.

Jiyong laughs as he’s caught off balance and then rights himself again. “I don’t want to either but I think I should.” He continues to speak softly, his words becoming somewhat of a lullaby to Chaerin as she closes her eyes.

“I like you Jiyong.” Chaerin mumbles into the pillow, and the admission causes Jiyong’s throat to close.

“Tell me that in the morning when you’re sober okay?” He responds, and leans forward knowing that if he doesn’t leave soon he’ll end up sleeping on the floor and who knows what Chaerin will feel in the morning. He places a small kiss to the top of her head and with a heavy sigh stands up. “Sleep well Chae.” He whispers into her ear.   A small whine is all he gets in response and Jiyong knows that he’s made the right decision.  Before he leaves, as quietly as he can he riffles through the cabinets in the bathroom, finding a bottle of aspirin and a paper cup for water. He fills the cup and places both by Chaerin’s bed. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so so sorry that it has taken me so long to get this chapter up. There have been a whole heck of a lot of things happening in my life and it's just all the motivation out of me. But! It's back, and I hope you all enjoy this chapter. Hopefully I won't make you wait too long for the next. <3