Chapter 5

Breaking the Ice Hearts

 

CHAPTER five

 

Yoona slowly walked down the stairs, attempting to hear anything from the quiet mansion. Yet the only thing she could hear was the chips from the birds that were singing happily in the bright Sunday morning.

She took careful steps, prolonging her presence. She felt scared, an emotion she hadn’t felt for a very long time now. He must be angry. She thought before going to bed, imagining all the possible ways he would physically hurt her. Remember how angry his eyes were, the way he growled that Tiffany. She waited from him to come up to bed, but he never showed.

Now it’s the morning, and Yoona was restless. She had no idea what had come over her last night; woken up by the screams for two siblings fighting because of her... she felt responsible of the tension between the two, but she couldn’t help but yell. They are way too childish she thought every time they fought, but she never realized the bottle angry she had within her. I’m too use to being like this...like a robot. She sighed as she finally reached the last step, suddenly in gulfed in the smell of something burning. Her head shot up, following to burning smell into the kitchen, forgetting her worries about her husband.

“Tiffany, what are you doing?” Yoona said as she stepped into room full of smoke, she had to look closely to find Tiffany in front of the stove... looking like she was killing whatever she was trying to make then actually cooking.

“OMGSH- You scared me Yoona!” Tiffany looked up, smiling, “Well I just thought since you’ve been cooking of me and Taec for so long that maybe you could use a break”

Yoona felt herself getting warm, feeling thankful, “That’s nice of you Tiffany, but maybe I should stick with the cooking before you burn the house down” She said as she grabbed the pan from Tiffany’s hand.

Tiffany didn’t resist, as she just heard a joke from the robot, Yoona. She smiled to herself as she sat on the stool, and resting her head on her palms watching Yoona get to work.

“When did you learn to cook?”

“I just taught myself. My mother never really had the time to be at home, so she didn’t have the time to teach me things”

“Like how to wear a pad?” Tiffany joked.

“Actually yeah” Yoona replied, not getting the joke.

Yoona continued to work in silence as Tiffany watched in awe. It had gone on like this for what seemed like eternity. Even though, Tiffany seemed to have forgiven her for her rude yelling last night, Yoona still felt guilty.

“Look Yoona, I’m sorry for last night. You didn’t need to hear that.”

Yoona stopped and turned to Tiffany, “No please, I should be saying sorry. I was out of line. I was rude. I shouldn’t have yelled”

Tiffany smiled, “Sweetie, you are part of this family for better or for worst. Yelling is part of the worst. Trust me, Taec and I have got worst fights before. I just want you to treat me like a sister.”

“... I thought I was” Yoona looked at her confused.

Does this girl even have feelings... better yet; has she even had any human interactions? Tiffany looked her, not sure if she should smile or hit her in the head. Her mother told Taec and Tiffany nothing of Yoona’s past, expect that it was something Tiffany could never go through. Was Yoona’s past that horrible that it cause Yoona to be like this? Tiffany had always believed that Yoona’s robot like appearance was because had a hard time opening up, like many other people she had met in her life. But now Yoona’s cold appearance was due to something more serious than shyness. What did actually happen to you, Yoona?

Before Tiffany could reply- not that she knew how to reply, a tall muscular has entered the kitchen sitting himself next to his sister, still unaware of the stares. He had decided to sleep on the couch, feeling a bit of guilt but most of all he was a bit scared of Yoona. He recalled the fire in her eyes, to the way her voice changed, even how her body stood... it was all new to him. This was the first time- as side from his sister and mother had a girl yelled at him. Not even Yuri had the guts to yell at him. Aside from his family members and his boys, the world had either respected him or feared him.

He looked up to find Yoona staring at him. She was dressed casually, a pair of black basketball shorts and a baggy shirt. Her black hair tied into her usual bun along with a natural face. Automatically, he looked into her eyes; her usual cold stare she always gave him- that secretly gave him shivers- was now replaced with a blanker stare, like she was in a different world. He had hated her cold stare, though somewhere within him, he knew that she probably didn’t even know that she was doing what she was doing. They continued to stare until Tiffany cleared , as she was starting to feel like the third wheel.

“Yoona are you done?” When Taec looked back to her, her back was facing him now. He watched as Yoona nodded her head.

“I’m done” She turned a bit, opening the cupboard taking out some bowls, “I’ll just let you guys eat first, I need to do some things” With that she hurried off, leaving the two long.

Not knowing what to do, Taecyeon turn on the television with the remote and began eating, in silence. As the silence grew, only the voices were of the newscasters being heard and the sound of the vacuum in the other room, Taecyeon grew more and more uncomfortable. He wasn’t use to Tiffany being this mad; sure they had worst fights, but Tiffany was always forgiving.

“How is she?” He spoke, trying to break the ice.

Tiffany kept her eyes on the television as she answered his question in a very sharp tone, “What do you think Taec? Look at her! She can’t even look at you without feeling bad! Ca- can’t you... Can you just try to be nice to her? For me” As she spoke she moved her eyes from the TV to his face, her eyes pleading.

“I-I...” He hesitated

“Please Taec! I really like her! Just try” Her voice softened.

He was left speechless leaving him to nod in reply. He heard her say thank you then saw as her eyes widen in fear when the sound of the vacuum stop with a loud bang follow. She hopped down from her chair, whispering, “Let her be okay” over and over again. Taecyeon followed confused. As he left the kitchen to follow his sister, he saw the glimpse of the clip he saw yesterday.

“Omo...” Yoona whispered her hands on her chest, with the vacuum at her feet.

Tiffany stood beside her, while Taecyeon stood at the door of the den; all eyes on the television scene.

“Some news came yesterday regarding on who may Ok Taecyeon, the heir of the Ok Company’s wife. An unknown woman was caught yesterday night with Ok Tiffany at a night club. As we all know, Tiffany usually goes alone to relax after she has a successful fashion week.” The same clip from last night’s news began playing. “Though that does not seem enough proof, the same unknown women was catch getting into the car with Taecyeon”

The three watched as another clip played. It showed two people; one tall muscular man with an arm wrapped around a small milky-skinned girl. He had opened the door for the girl, carefully putting her into the front seat of the car. Before he could walk away, the girl had tugged on his shirt. They had a short discussion. The two looked close... It was Taecyeon and Yoona, “Who is this mystery girl? We will soon find out-“Tiffany had turned off the remote and turned to Yoona.

“Yoona, are you okay?”

“Huh?” Yoona said dazed, “I’m fine. Are you?” She turned around looking for an answer in her husband’s eyes. They looked for an answer in each other’s eyes. Yet they found nothing but a blank stare. It was as if they were playing poker, a change in emotions could cause in a lost.

“I’m fine, are you?” He asked back, unsure of what to say now.

“Dork, you said that already!” Tiffany yelled, breaking the two’s glaze.

“Tiffany, can you drop me off somewhere?” Yoona asked

“Sure thing, I’ll just wait for you to go get changed” Tiffany gave her, her infamous eye smile and watched as her sister-in-law walked away.

“Where are you going?” Taeyeon asked curiously as he hop on the couch, plummeting himself down.

“Beats me” She shrugged, looking at the corner of her eyes to see if he was showing any interest.

“She’s my wife; shouldn’t I have the right to know?” She looked at him, still standing up, as she placed her purse on her shoulder.

“And since when did you start acting like a husband?” She smiled in victory as Taec’s face dropped, unable to say anything back.

Before he was able to think of a comeback, Yoona stepped into the den, fully dressed. She was wearing an old grey sweatshirt that was too long for her, with a pair of skinny jeans and old high-tops.

“I buy you clothes and yet you don’t want to wear it?” Tiffany pouted.

“I’m sorry, I just don’t feel comfortable wearing them” Yoona turned around, walking to the front door with Tiffany following her.

“Seriously women?!” She whispered to herself, “Oh shut up Taec” giving him a death glare when she heard him chuckle.


“Yoona, why are we at the hospital?” Tiffany asked half-worried and half-scared. They were walking the halls of the 15th floor, Yoona a few feet again. She had not said anything since they had left the mansion; she was too consumed in her thoughts. Tiffany left her being, noticing the hint of worry in Yoona’s eyes. Yoona never answered her question as they stopped in front of a door. Tiffany took note of the room number, 116P.

“Yoona, wh-what are you doing here?” A voice called out.

“Taeyeon? Is that you?” Yoona stopped at the door way, blocking Tiffany’s view.

“Who? Let me see! Let me see!” Tiffany began jumping up and down, catching a glimpse of a small girl with long brown hair standing at the foot of the bed.

Yoona stepped inside, her feet taking a mind of its own as she laid eyes on her sleeping lady on the bed.

“How is she?” She asked, without taking her eyes off the patient.

“She’s been asking for you...” Taeyeon moved from the foot of the bed, to Yoona’s body putting her small hand on her shoulder.

Tiffany watched from the door, as the small girl named Taeyeon and Yoona looked over the sleeping patient... that looked a lot alike Yoona. They had similar bone structure with the same body frame. It was Yoona but older. She was mostly covered by a blanket, her arms outs with tubes on her hands. She had a white bandana that covered her head.

“Yoona, who is that?” Tiffany asked, knowing it was rude, but she couldn’t help her curiosity.

“Tiffany, meet my mother” Yoona said in inaudible voice.  Her eyes showing no emotion once again.


 “Thank you again, Taeyeon for opening up to me. I’m really sorry that I need to leave” Tiffany said to Taeyeon at the door of the room, “Will you drop of Yoona home?”

The small figure nodded.

“its great meeting you” She gave her an eye smile, “I hope to see more of you in the future. Come over anytime, you have an open invitation!”

“Thank you!” Taeyeon smiled from ear to ear, shocked at her kindness.

Tiffany looked behind Taeyeon, to Yoona – who was still watching over her mother, “Bye Yoona, be safe!” She smiled as Yoona looked up, giving her a faint smile then looking back down.


“Yoona, is this your hou- mansion?” Taeyeon asked, speechless. Her head looking up, taking in the beauty of the mansion. Her crappy beat-up green car looked like garbage parked in front of the mansion.

“Come on in, please” Yoona’s voice was now in the distance. Taeyeon looked down to find that Yoona was not beside her, but was at the front door already, waiting for her cousin to come in.

Once they had come in, a maid had welcomed them in.

“Excuse me, what’s that sound?” Yoona asked, confused. Once she entered the house, she heard screams and yells and the sound that a video game makes.

“Master Taecyeon’s friends is over”

Taeyeon watched as Yoona’s body tensed for a moment than relaxed. She was use to her cold appearance. She had been there when Yoona changed from the happy bubbly girl, she was back in the day, to the how is now; a cold, emotionless young women who grew up depending on only herself. She knew that when she tensed up for any reason was because she was scared. Though she also knew that Yoona didn’t even know that herself.

“Thank you, I’ll make them their food then” Yoona walked away, down the hall with her cousin following after into the kitchen.


“Dude, when are we going to meet your wife?” Chansung complained as he watched Wooyoung and Junho’s game from the double seat couch.

“Yeah, we even came to your house!” Junsu added

“You’d think she’d be here at least!” Wooyoung continued.

“Seriously, are you sure you even got married?” Junho joked, still keeping his eyes on the game.

“YAH! I did get married! Shut up will you guys?” Taecyeon yelled, frustrated with their surprise visit.

“So where is she?” Junsu smirked, enjoying how Taecyeon was so sensitive with the topic of his wife.

“Yeah, are you sure you aren’t making it all up?” Chansung joined in the joking.

“I don’t know where she is, okay?” He almost yelled, his eyes glued to the video game, not wanting to see the smirks on his friend’s faces.

“Taecyeon, are you hungry now?” An inaudible voice said. Instantly his angry subsided.

“Oh”

“My”

“Friking”

“... Was I supposed to finish that?”

The four boys slapped Junho’s head, but their attention was now on the skinny, black hair holding a tray of food.

“So she is real...” Junho smiled at the girl.

“And pretty too” Chansung said, unable to think.

“Yeah... really pretty” Wooyoung smirked and patted Taecyeon’s back.

Taecyeon got up from the couch, made his way to his wife, taking the tray of food from her, “Did you make it?” He whispered so the guys wouldn’t hear.

She nodded, “Yeah, but Taeyeon helped me”

“Who?”

“My cousin, but she couldn’t stay”

He looked at her eyes. It was becoming a habit now. And somehow in there, he found reassurance that maybe; just maybe this meeting wouldn’t be so bad.

“You think you can handle them?” He joked.

“Huh?”

“YAH!” Wooyoung called from behind him, “Stop being all lovely dovely with her! We want to me her too!”

“Stop being all lovely dovely with her” Oh the irony, he thought. If they were aware of how he had treated her in the past, they would have been disappointed in him.

He grabbed the tray from Yoona, along with her small wrist, “Yoona, this is the guys- Guys, this is my wife, Yoona”

I need to keep this promise for Tiffany; I can’t keep letting her and my mother down. 

Image

» layout credit