'Just a ten year old boy'

Hold Me Safe

August 29, 2013

 

Many people say, nowadays you can’t get anywhere without a college degree. Though, I don’t believe in much what other people say, I have to agree with them on this one. I need my degree to get out of the life I am in right now. Unlike all these fortunate prep kids sitting around me in this classroom, I actually need it to even have a chance of surviving. They have parents with stacks of money for them to spend as they partied through their college years, while I have a father who does not even know I’m attending a university. They have free money to buy name brand purses and shoes, where I barely make enough to put food on the table. I worked hard to be here. With the help of a generous alum who came from a broken family, I was graciously awarded with this opportunity, this chance to change my life.

College, all my years, was just an avenue for me to survive. I cared for no one and no one bothered to care for me. In matter of fact, they rather stay far away from me, shun me because I’m not what they are used to. They look down on me from the very first day, “Who’s this girl in ragged clothes walking around campus. We’re people of high rank and class. We don’t associate with her.” Guess what, they are none of my business either. None of them can be trusted. Many times, I witness groups of friends, claiming each other as best friends for life but the very next day, they can act like they don’t know each other.  This type of betrayal is one I have experienced…

School everyday is a routine. Class with preppy students and rich professors, who can care less for a student who pays nothing towards their tuition, then work. However today, there is a slight change. A new professor arrived on campus. In fact, she’s lecturing the literature class I am in right now. There’s something different about her. I guess, you can call it down-to-earth for once. Professors in this high-end school seems to work as if they have a dress code that requires them to wear name brand clothes, shoes, and may if you want, jewelry. Men will walk in with Boss suits and women would pull out test papers from their Chanel bags. Her, however walked in with simple suit pants and a white button down. Maybe things will change around here. Miss Jung, I think her name is….think it’s about time to pay attention to her lecture now.

 

-Bae Seulgi

 

 

August 29, 2013

 

6 more hours and it will be home sweet home. It’s been almost 11 years. The crowded the streets, the bustling roads, the great smell traditional Korean dishes. Oh how much I miss it there. I wish I could've stayed. However, I may not be who I am today, hell, I might not even be here if I had stayed. Mom and Dad passed away all of a sudden. I was just a ten year old boy trying to deal. And you know I did not do such a good job at that. Granny and Auntie were the ones that dealt for me. They were my saviors, my guardians. In matter of fact, the reason why I’m coming back is actually my dear Auntie.

 

She got a new teaching job back in Korea in a prestigious college. She didn’t want to go. She didn’t want me to go through such a big change especially when it’s going to be my senior year. It’s definitely sad leaving the friends that I grew up with. However, it’s about time that I be the one giving back. Though she’s only 10 years older than me, she have always acted like my mother instead of an aunt, and after Granny passed away, she took on the motherly role even more. It’s a good thing that she’s finally focusing on her life, her career, and maybe finally have a relationship. And personally, it may be about time for me to come back, about time to finally visit mom and dad.

 

-Jung Yunho