The Job Offer

Silent Sweetheart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi, guys! :D

Yeah, I know, I know, I've a bad author for not updating for so long. But anyway, it was my birthday last Nov. 16, and I thought why not celebrate it by writing updates for ALL my stories. Including this one!

So, here we go. I hope you all enjoy this new chapter! :D

“So, how long have you been in Korea?” Yunho asked his new friend curiously.

The three of them sat together in a sitting area backstage while the boys tried to get to know more about Erin. Well, Yunho was trying to get to know her. Changmin, for his part, was a bit further on Yunho’s other side, pretending he wasn’t interested in their silent conversation and just fiddling with his phone. Occasionally, though, his eyes would dart to the iPad that Yunho was holding to take a peek at what they were saying.

And when Yunho particularly felt like annoying his maknae, he would pretend to casually tilt the device a bit so that Changmin wouldn’t be able to see.

And not interested in their conversation, his ! Changmin’s eyebrows would furrow and his lips would form a small frown whenever Yunho did this! Yep, sure, Changmin wasn’t interested. At all.

Insert heavy sarcasm here, please.

 “Just a bit over a couple of months, actually,” Erin answered.

Yunho nodded thoughtfully at her answer, though he was internally rolling his eyes at how Changmin’s eyes automatically glanced snapped towards the screen the moment Erin finished typing her reply. Then, as soon as Changmin secretly (or so the maknae thought it was secret) read her answer, his eyes quickly looked away again. As though he didn’t look in the first place.

‘He’s really got to stop kidding himself,’ Yunho thought, half amused and half quite exasperated.

But then, Erin reached over to type something again and add something to what she had said before (cue Changmin’s eyes being magnetized to look at the iPad again).

“I used to live in America before we came here,” she added.

That surprised both of the boys. Yes, even Changmin wasn’t able to stop his eyes from widening a bit when he read that.

“You look Asian, though?” Yunho asked her, looking confused.

“I am,” Erin said with a matter-of-fact expression. “My parents moved us there when I was a baby. My dad’s work had him needing to transfer here to Korea about a year ago, though.”

“I thought you just came here two months ago?”

“Yeah, my dad managed to pull a few strings to delay his transfer. So that I would have some time to learn KSL.”

“KSL?”

“Korean Sign Language.”

“Oh,” Yunho said. And he really said it out loud, not typed it in the iPad like his usual replies to her. Because he didn’t really know how to reply to that. He was curious, however.

“So, what other languages did you know before, then? Before you learned KSL?” Yunho inquired.

“English and ASL. Filipino and FSL, because that’s where we really came from and we go there to visit every few years. And I started learning Korean and KSL a year ago when we had to move here, so I’m almost quite fluent in it now.”

Yunho had to take a while to process all this information. He assumed that ‘ASL’ and ‘FSL’ meant ‘American Sign Language’ and ‘Filipino Sign Language’, but English, Filipino, and Korean? Now that the leader realized, they had been talking in Korean since they met.

“English, Filipino, and Korean? Like, for example, the Korean we know?” Yunho now typed to her.

From his other side, Changmin could sense Yunho’s train of thoughts, and he had to stop from literally facepalming. Because that would totally blow his cover that he wasn’t looking at their conversation. Erm, not that Changmin’s already actually admitting that he does look… but anyway, that’s not the point. The point is that the maknae just had to settle and be contented with mentally facepalming at Yunho.

“Yes, like the Korean you know, Yunho-ssi,” Erin replied, smiling a bit as she also seemed to realize where Yunho was coming from.

“But how did you learn those languages when you can’t hear?” Yunho asked, scratching his head a bit.

‘And hyung said I was the one insensitive and tactless about her condition that time when we first met her,’ Changmin thought dryly. ‘At least she’s not offended’, he added.

And it was true. Erin was in fact looking quite amused at the puzzled expression on Yunho’s face.

“Well, I don’t know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter