Culprit

Imposter

- Baekho's P.O.V -

 

It was the 48th day after my death. I still lurked around Minki. I just couldn't let him go. He cried every day and tried to find his way back to me but thankfully he had not succeeded in it so far. It hurt me to see him like this. I knew he wanted to be together with me but that was impossible. I was on the other side of the border. And no key could open the lock into this world. We had been separated. I just had to wait until he would die so we could be together once more.

"Baekho...why did you leave me...." there my sleeping beauty is talking in his dreams again. Or in his nightmares more likely. Not one night passed by that he hadn't woke up in the middle of the night to cry and scream my name. It really torned me apart, well that little that there was left of me. His dream were about us and his nightmares about me. I wished that my voice could reach him so I could tell him that I'm fine here. Of course I would feel better alive but given the circumstances this was the best I could get. Alone...
"Why do I see nightmares about you? Why would I scare you...I love you..there's no reason to be afraid.." he murmured half asleep. His slender figure was half covered by his blanket. The winter was quite cold one and the house where he lived didn't seem that warm. I moved closer to him and placed my hands above his blanket. I stared at his delicate features and freaked when he abruplty opened his eyes and seemed to stare into my eyes, which clearly was impossible as I wasn't really there...
"I miss you too...Baekho...." his voice was quiet and calm. He soon slipped back into dream but I still stared at him. I could never get enough of him. His face was the one capturing my heart as his heart took my soul. He owned me and he did live in me. At least it seemed like part of him had been taken away in that very day I died. He didn't smile anymore or laugh. Laughter used to be his signature mark. He always laughted and smiled. He wasn't ruefyl or blue. All smiles. My light in the dark.

"I miss you so much...so so much that you can't even imagine how much.." I whispered, hoping that he'll somehow hear me. I stood up and patted his now brow hair. He had let the color fade away and show his natural colours. I liked them both as I had the pleasure to see both in real life. His hair were so soft and always danced in the summer breeze. When I fell in love with him it was quite like this. Snowy night, wee hours and us sitting side by side with bottle of ale.I saw him dance and heard him sing. It was so beautiful. I had never valued art in any sense but still this made a very deep impression on me. After that night I saw the curves of his body, the scars of life on his skin and the light look in his eyes. After that day my life wasn't black and white anymore.

 

"I want you to be happy Ren...so please..find me." I said and placed the white flowers on his desk beside his bed. After he woke up he also saw the ring underneath the flowers. I had gotten that ring when I was five from my grandpa. He told me to give that ring to the love of my life. And so I did. I watched as Ren cried and cried the ring in his palm and the flowers in his lap. He didn't leave the bed in days and when his body was about to give in I sat beside him. He turned to face me and smiled. I smiled too, wanting to act like he could see me. He had put the ring on his finger and showed it off with proud. His smile was close the one it used to be. I giggled as I saw him ghost his fingers above the metal piece. He dried his tears again and again, but they just kept coming. I lifted my hand closer his face. I touched his skin and wiped off the tear gliding down my beloved's skin.
"Baekho?...If that's you then I hope you can hear me..." he choked in his tears and kept a long pause before he could speak again.

"I want to marry you. So I will do it myself and hope your agree with it..." I nodded with tears in my eyes. Of course I would agree with it you fool, my fool.
"Will you Kang Baekho, take me, Choi Ren as your husband and love me in good and bad in wealth and poverty and love me as long as you feel like it?" I sobbed there beside him and nodded. I took his hand in mine and caressed it. He looked at his hand and then back at my eyes with broad smile on his face.
"I take that as an answer." He raised his hand close his mouth and looked at it. I really hoped he could see my hand there, resting above his. He slowly leaned closer and closed his eyes, giving a kiss on the back of my palm. His lips felt warm and soft. What a pity I never got the chance to taste them...

 

"I'm pretty sure I won't wake up tomorrow, so please be here when I die. So that when I die you'll be here to welcome me back to home, back to you my love." he whispered and let his head fall on the soft mattress underneath him. I stood up, walked beside his bed and leaned over his body. I looked at his face once more.
"I'll be here. I'll be here to fetch you whenever you're ready darling." I uttered and kissed his lips.

 

 

As he had predicted, he never woke up the day after.