Chapter 2

Red Riding Hood

  C h a p t e r   T w o  

 
 
 

Everything begins with a origin; a reason. When the werewolf came to Baekhyun, he had already guessed why he came.

When the werewolf vaccine was first created, it was brought out for commercial purpose to strengthen oneself... only to realise that it had brought more harm than good. The kitsune's DNA was not able to be replicated so the scientist choose a similar animal to replace the 'foxy' part of the genes. Wolves meant violence and bloodshed and that much of their representation also became visible in humans who had no control over their new self.

As the 'disease' can be transmitted with just a contact with a drop of werewolf's blood, being a werewolf became very much common between people. Those half beast who could not take the emotional stress for the actions controlled by their violence; the blood that stains their hands and mouth, committed suicide. Fortunate ones found refuges with those who won over their animal self while others continues their much hated life as the symbol of gory.

Most of the scientist who created the vaccine had either gone under hiding or gotten killed. Then there was one who persisted and found out the answer to the epidemic. Similar to Chinese's treatment of counteracting a toxic with another even poisonous one, a werewolf's blood can be cleansed with kitsune's blood. News of this cure spread fast, causing all to head for the homes of kitsunes, the guardians of the earth. There was in turn a huge wipe out of the kitsune race as the werewolves gulped down their blood.

Baekhyun's parents hurriedly escape from their home to the peak of a mountain in a fear and hope for their only child to survive. The only thing young Baekhyun had known then was that his mother died on the road to the peak. After her passing, his real father was only able to pass on knowledge to him until he reached puberty. Baekhyun then was only left with his red cloak put on since young.

Memories of his childhood pushed pass the dam and flooded his mind. From the part when he was an outcast for the odd cloak to when he was old enough to understand his father wasn't his father, and instead another who violated the law to when he first realise the faultiness of his existence right before his eyes.

Tears sipped out of his eyes against his will. Baekhyun slammed his eyelid shut and clenched his teeth. His mind went to the man who seek, too, the so called antidote and all the others who had been there; all the others who had been buried deep in the never ending snow forest, body and bones long gone. All so selfish, coming here and willing to take away one's life for their own.

Except for that one who came just now. The one who came, he was interestingly different by bits.

Humans just right before their death, what would they be thinking of? According to Baekhyun's little experiments, humans would recall their last wishes, of what they want the most which was mostly survival. What that man was different from is the reason he wanted survival. Mostly wanted survival out of selfishness while that half sane man wanted was a life to serve his master. Such devoted love. 

Ah, that's hardly seen. Why not get him back here? A thought began to form below the surface of consciousness. First in 98 years, how could he not grasp it?

How had he just let that man leave? 

He stood up and headed for the door.

 

Chanyeol stopped in his tracks to survey the same surrounding for what it seems to be the hundredth time. 

Chanyeol thought that perhaps he could circle the forest then come back for the kitsune and apparently, reality and the 'c' he wrote on the tree told him he was circling the forest, literally, covering the exact same route he had before. The answer to his question dawned on him.

How did the people who came here never got back?

Because they never got out of the forest.

"They never got out of the forest." Chanyeol spun around, wide-eyed and chilled to the bones. He was sure he had heard someone whisper behind him, right to his ear. The poison of frost and fear sank its teeth into his heart. The bite was shallow but it was enough to make him unhinged and distraught.

"-Never got out of the forest." 

Right ear. Chanyeol instinctively reached up to touch his ear, still feeling the cold breath against it.

"Never-" 

Left. 

He lifted up his arm, reaching for whatever that was there a heartbeat ago... only to grab a handful of air. He shut down the sense of sight, tuned his ears and got his muscles ready-

"-got out of the forest." 

Right.

His arm aimed for where the neck would probably be if it were a human and-- he hit the tree...

He hit... the tree... facing nothing but the cross he drew not long before.  "How..."

"How?"

Chanyeol heard someone snicker behind him. With raised awareness, he waited for the extra comment after the echoed word.

"Waiting for something?"

He looked up, lost, for the voice this time was around him. 

Be...hind? he thought, his thigh muscles shifted then stop mid way. His feet ignored his commands. Or rather his whole body ignored his commands, as if frozen. Yet... he can still feel the texture of the clothes just fine... along with the fingers tracing his neck. His nose twitched but he got nothing except the scent of the forest.

"Oh no you beast, don't you dare bite." 

Chanyeol looked up at the sound of the voice. Isn't this... that man?

"Don't speak of me as if I'm some stranger. Hey, I even had you chained up, hadn't I?" He paused, sending Chanyeol a wink. "Whoops... my bad, that was ropes, not chains."

"Why are you here?" 

Stall. That's the only thing that Chanyeol could think of now. Stall until he finds a path- or pray that he finds a path- out of this.

Baekhyun ignored him and continued. "And of course--" And of course Chanyeol had not been paying attention to Baekhyun's words while surveying the surroundings. Otherwise, he would have realized the movement of air behind him and the impact on the head, before seeping out of consiousness.

 

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes: SORRY FOR NOT UPDATNG FOR SO LONG, I WAS HAVING SOME TEST T.T/CRIES/ BUT IT'S OKAYZ I'LL TRY TO UPDATE AS FREQUENT AS POSSIBLE(tho it would possibly NOT frequent at all :'c im sorry) BUT STILL....YAY~! (and sorry if you're expecting good vocabs... my eng so... yeah and it doesn't seem very contend filled this chap so... i'll try to have more next time but well.. it sort of just started so.. yeah. anyways, THANKS FOR READING!! <3 )